Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 305 from a '85 olds fit in my '74 chev K10?The trans in truck is a SM465.np203 transfercase.I was kind of worried about the pressure plate and the flywheel,from original going together with 305.And I have to use the carb from the old motor.Choke cocerns.Or any other problems?????

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
All small blocks are virtually identical.

Dipstick may be on the other side,but it's no big deal.

Trans will bolt up fine.

Newer intake may not have provisions for older style choke setup,so swap the carb,or swap manifolds.

On an 85 305,check the cam and timing chain before the swap,they tend to wear out quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
intake

I Found the gasket not sealed right on the intake ,The gasket is not in place it sticks out for about an inch and then is back in place.Could this be the cause of my compression loss and power loss.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's too bad they don't make cans of compression to eliminate all the machine work.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks wyldman

Well I was hoping....I am going to get the 305 tomorrow..I hope there is no problems..I am still concerned about the flywheel pressure plate stuff..:canada

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
input shaft

I can not remember if you grease the input shaft on a sm465???Seems stupid but my buddy says you do.But I dont think so????Thanks for the help Wyldman:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Greasing the splines for the clutch and the pilot bearing is a good idea...

Just a very thing film for the splines as you don't want grease flinging on to the clutch plate... A dob on the ball pivot for the clutch fork might be nice as well... and even a tiny dob at the throw out bearing to fork mounting...

Just not gobs....

A intake manifold to head gasket misalignment will cause what is known as a vacuum leak. Some would prefer to call that a air leak as unmetered air into the intake.

Having such a leak will allow air that did not get measured by the carb/TBI into the combustion chambers and cause a lean condition. Depending on how much leak it might show as a lean miss, or no power at all in the cly(s) effected...

A realy bad alignment might well cause a coolant leak and a exhaust leak as exhaust runs as a heating device in at least carb manifolds...

If you listed comp test figures I missed them... A leak there will not effect comp test figures though... Mac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts