Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to putting a nice set of rev. lights on the truck. Never worked with relays before. So a friend came up with this drawing and everything just fell into place.This one also works with indicator light. Feel free to use.;)

Chris

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
You might consider tying the indicator light in at the #87 terminal on the relay instead of the switch leg. In the event of relay failure the indicator would then fail to light.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm looking to do this to my 2000 Ford. Can anyone tell me the reverse light wire color and a convenient place up front that I can get at it. I'd rather have the relay in the engine compartment or under the dash if possible and not have to run a wire all the way from the back.

Thanks !

·
Registered
526 Posts
Rob said:
I'm looking to do this to my 2000 Ford. Can anyone tell me the reverse light wire color and a convenient place up front that I can get at it. I'd rather have the relay in the engine compartment or under the dash if possible and not have to run a wire all the way from the back.

Thanks !
Anyone have any thoughts before I crawl under and start tracing??

·
Registered
979 Posts
Rob, I am not familar with Ford wiring system but if you have towing package you should have the outlet at the rear for plugging in trailer lights. Most likely it will be 7-way outlet which should include a pin for reverse light. Crawl under the truck and unwrap the wiring harness near the outlet, using a 12 volt test light find the reverse wire by having a helper sit in truck and shift in reverse. When you find that wire, tap a 18 gauge wire from there and run along the truck to the engine compartment where you intent to put the relay. Hope that would help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The most readily available place I have found to get at your reverse wire (and where there is no chance that it can affect any other functions by fiddling with it) at the rear of your transmission. There should be a small bundle coming out of harness attached to the side of the transmission. Wire color is black with a purple stripe.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
I just ran an extra wire in the harness to the rear of the truck and hooked it up to the wire in the backup light behind the taillight. The relays are under the hood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.