Snowplow Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
I suppose those pressures are fine if your running P rated (passenger)
tires.

I don't think running those pressures would be very wise if you have LT rated
(Light truck) tires.

My LT 245-75-16s call for 50 to 80 psi on the sidewalls
along with the trucks PIA Tire Pressure Monitor System and all its
bells, whistles, and warning lights that sound off if the factory
pressures are not maintained..............

·
Registered
748 Posts
I was running LTs. 235/85/16 not that it really matters. Weigh your truck, each axle, then consult an inflation table. You will be surprised.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I would run a higher pressure if I had wider rims. The narrower rims force the center of the tires to bulge a bit. The guy who originally installed the tires set them at 45 for that reason and said I could adjust the pressure later as I kept tabs on the wear pattern. But so far it's been fine. If I think of it in a year or so I'll update the tire condition here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok I've had these tires on this truck for four years now. They have worn down to about half their tread, but they have worn very evenly. I have never had a lick of trouble from them and when they're worn down enough I will start over with a new set. The 45 pounds of air that the tire guy put in them 4 years ago is still in three of them. LOL. One developed a slow leak a few months ago.

I should also mention that a different tire guy somehow convinced me to try the Michelin Ice tires on my plow truck. I scoffed at him because they look like a summer tire. I had gone in for a new set of All Terrains and decided to ask him what he felt were the absolute best plow truck tires available. He said the Michelin Ice tires. I told him to go ahead and install a set and that I wanted his personal cell number so I could call him when I got stuck at 3 in the morning plowing. LOL. I never did get stuck. Plowed all winter with them and was pleasantly surprised. They seem like a great tire. You'd never know it by looking at them though. I couldn't use them on my other trucks though because they'd wear out too fast, being a strictly winter tire. But the plow truck just sits all summer without being used.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts