Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not to hi-jack this thread too much, but since it's come up - is Hypertech the way to go for programming HD trucks.....or what about others like BullyDog or whatever?
I've got a freind who installed a bulldog system into his 7.3 ford f-350, he really likes it a lot. Claims when he wants power he gets it, when he whants economy he gets it. I think thats worth investigating. I know i'm going to on my next truck. He claims it saves him a ton on fuel.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
As far as handheld programmers most of them perform the same
parameter mode changes. IMO the only difference is price.
Most of them won't even adjust GMs famous "torque mgmt."
programming except for the Diablo Preditor handheld unit.

Many guys go for the PCM burn where they send their PCM to a
"burner" and it it custom programmed to the customers specs as
far as shift points, top speed, rev. limiter, tire size, torque mgmt.
etc..................

But the downside of the PCM "burns" there is the turn around time
involved sending the PCM back n forth. Many guys on the GM truck
forums keep the stock PCM and get a used one to be burned just
in case while under warranty they need dealer service and swap the
stock PCM back in and send it off to the dealer.
This is why I chose the handheld unit instead!
GM has come down hard on warranty repairs on trucks with a modified
PCM installed.

But if you need/want to reprogram your truck for larger tire sizes or
want a little more giddy-up either method is fine. Not to mention
the cost of both is the same anyhoo.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Dave thanks for the tip, but I don't keep my trucks long enough to worry about it LOL.

I personally chose the Hypertech, because you can tow up to 12,000lbs on stage 3 without worrying about anything. Now i'm not sure what todays brands are offering, but when I bought my last one in 06' the other companys stated you had to detune to pull weight.
Both my 02'&06' are hyperteched and pull a heck of alot of weight around all summer long. I detune the 02' in the winter to stage 1, otherwise all it does is spin the tires while plowing.
Ebay and craigslist are great places to find cheap programmers. I bought both of mine used, after I paid $400 for my first one back in 04' that was on my gasser.

Geo's programmer is a great deal @ $100 and will work on 04-06' GM's with the 6.0L.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
This Hypertech #30022 programmer will also work on any 04-05
GM Truck with the 4.3, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 8.1 also if anyone else is
interested.

Sadly it won't work on my 07 gmt-900 6.0 or I would of used it
again. The only reason I didn't buy another is the posts on several
GM truck forums about warranty service denile on tuned trucks
and thats the reason I went with the handheld instead of a PCM
burn tune. Being able to remove the tune before the tow truck
arrived.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sonjaab I sent you a PM few days ago. Not sure if you got it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just a follow up on the performance of the 285s on the stock aluminum rim if anybody's interested. I've been driving the truck everyday for about 3 weeks now and there is absolutely nothing wrong with these tires being on these rims. I've loaded her up and driven her a little hard around corners and there is absolutely no difference from before when I had the stock size tires on. Except the power loss, which isn't that bad. But no sway, no wobblyness. Nothing. And they're so damned good in the snow.

Will have to wait a while to see if they wear unevenly or if the tire pressure will cause the edge of the rim to crack off as someone suggested. I'm keeping only 45 pounds in them so the centers won't wear too quickly. If I see the centers wearing I'll drop that to 40 pounds. I have a tread depth guage so I'll keep a close eye on it and catch it quickly if it starts to happen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here's an update for anybody who has found this thread through a search on the subject. It's been two months now with these tires on these rims. They are still solid and have not caused any problems whatsoever. They do not roll over or sway on corners regardless of how much weight I put in the truck or how heavy my trailer is. They're wearing evenly but it hasn't been long enough yet to see how that will pan out.

I should add that they do scrub the plastic inner fender when I turn as sharp as it'll go, but I only have to back off of a tiny wee bit to stop that. Since I put the tires on I've only heard that light scrubbing sound a couple of times when I was doing a U turn or something and it's of no concern at all.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm basically doing the same thing. I have noticed that the edge of my tires has started to wear slightly unevenly. I've put about 1,000 miles on so far. I'm running around 35 psi. So it sounds like I will be shopping for some 8" or 9" wheels eventually.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm basically doing the same thing. I have noticed that the edge of my tires has started to wear slightly unevenly. I've put about 1,000 miles on so far. I'm running around 35 psi. So it sounds like I will be shopping for some 8" or 9" wheels eventually.
If you're wearing edges at 35psi, raise your pressure.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you're wearing edges at 35psi, raise your pressure.
That was my first thought too, but then I ended up calling Goodyear. They told me that my tires are inflated correctly and are supposed to be mounted on at least 7.5" wheels. I just went out today and bought some 16 x 8's. Waiting to get them installed on Tuesday. They also said that since my tires are very aggressive (mud terrains), that they wear more easily on asphalt than normal all terrains, which would probably could have gotten away with 7" wheels.

When I walked into the store today I asked the rep there (dealt with him a few times) to take an honest look at my tires. He said they could benefit from wider wheels. He did throw in a warranty for all 4 tires for me though, even though I didn't buy the tires through him which was cool. I guess he does it for all of the members of the PD. :grinz

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Quick update for anyone googling this topic. I've had the tires on these stock rims for 7 months now and have not had a single problem. They are a great tire and they ride and perform perfectly on the stock rims and are not wearing unevenly. So far so good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Had the tires on for over a year and a half now and they're still great and still wearing evenly at 45 psi. No problems.

·
Registered
568 Posts
So going with a wider tread is better plowing ? My thinking was tall and narrower cuts through better thus better for plowing.Im just about to buy my first set for my 09 chevy diesel and have 265 70R17 stock and was thinking of getting 245 75R17 but now Im thinking 285 70R17 after reading this.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
You are right , narrow is better .

·
Registered
850 Posts
So going with a wider tread is better plowing ? My thinking was tall and narrower cuts through better thus better for plowing.Im just about to buy my first set for my 09 chevy diesel and have 265 70R17 stock and was thinking of getting 245 75R17 but now Im thinking 285 70R17 after reading this.
285's all the way.
Love em, plus they give a bit more height for our low riding trucks. I would go 305's if they would fit without a lift.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I never did hang a plow on this truck. I bought a '97 Tahoe instead and put an 8' Curtis on it. That was the best thing I ever did. What an absolute pleasure to plow with. The short wheelbase is awesome in tight spots. I do a lot of driveways and smaller lots so this is important. As for which tires are better for plowing, narrow or wide, I have no opinion. I've plowed with both and I can't tell the difference. I just know that I love the BF Goodrich All terrains. Great tire for plowing until they get down to a little less than half their tread. Then they're still ok but no better than any other tire.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well it's been a year or two since I last updated the info on my tires. I drive this truck every day and I pull heavy trailers with it regularly. I keep the tires at 45 psi and to this day I have not had any trouble with them. They are wearing evenly and the truck handles perfectly well in all situations. The outer edges of the front tires are losing their squareness just a very slight bit, as all steering tires do eventually, but that's it. When these tires wear out I'll be getting a new set just like them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Most guys over-inflate their truck tires. He doesn't list the details of the setup but 45 psi is good starting point for most pickups. I ran 35 front/30 rear on my truck. Truck rode great, handles well, and tires wore perfectly evenly.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts