Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day I bought a set of BFGoodrich All Terrains that are 285 mm wide. Yesterday I bought a set of the stock 8 stud aluminum rims for my '04 2500HD. Today I brought them all to a tire guy who said he didn't think it was a good idea to put those tires on those rims because they're too wide and the factory recommends a minimum 7.5 inch rim. Those stock rims are 6.5 inches wide.

I read a few other forums online and it looks like guys are putting those tires on the stock rims regardless of being warned that the center of the tread will wear out too soon. I think I'd be fine with that too. But I'm wondering if there's anything actually dangerous about doing this.

Does anybody know?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've got a set of 285's on my stock steel suburban wheels. Didn't buy them, it came that way. I have hummer wheels/tires for summer, so for winter, I don't mind.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Budd
Being running them on my truck that way for 3 year now no problems. Discount tire never said anything to me about any problems running them on stock wheels.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but which stock wheels do you have? The 1500 trucks have wider rims than the 2500s. These stock aluminum rims are only 6.5 inches wide. Those 285 tires are supposed to have at least a 7.5 inch rim. Apparently the stock rims for the 1500 trucks are at least 7 inches or more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I read the posts here and some other sites and have found several guys who say "don't do it cuz they'll wear out in the centers and the truck will handle poorly when loaded."

But I've also read many posts from guys who have actually put the 285s on the stock 6.5 rims and MOST of them say they've had little or no problems. A few said "yeah they wore unevenly." But everyone else says just play with the tire pressure and all wears well. So I threw caution to the wind and went ahead and had them put on the truck with the stock rims. They look great.

The ride quality is pretty much the same as it was. I think I noticed the slightest loss of power but I"m not sure. I've only driven the truck from the tire shop to my house. I nailed the throttle a few times to check the power and it didn't feel like it usually does. The truck has 410 gears so it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Time will tell. Some day I'll report how they wore if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been running that size on my '00 2500 for about 6 years. Haven't noticed any problems, but I have the stock steel chrome wheels......4:10 rear also

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of the same BFs truck is a 96 loaded to the max 90% of the time, pulling bobcat trailors weekly its whole life all 180,000 miles of it.
never had one problem with uneven wear or handling. The one problem we do have is the speedometer being off, we just compensate. Did loose just a bit-o-power though from what I remember thats been a long time ago since stock, but it has'nt effected the truck at all. Gonna go for the guiness book under gm and drive her straight to the ground, plow and all.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the truck out this evening and put about 20 miles on it. The jump from the stock 245s to the 285s has definitely robbed some power. Felt like a teenager again while I was trying to spin the tires. LOL. The sound these trucks make when their working hard is like music.

With the stock size tires it could smoke both back tires right through an intersection. I"m sure you guys with these trucks know what I mean. If the roads were at all slippery it was actually hard not to spin taking off. But now it sure won't do it. Partly because these tires have so much more traction than the others, and partly because there's a noticeable power loss. I don't mind though really. I haven't been a "tire smoker" since I was a lot younger, so the power loss is no big deal. Although I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable when I'm pulling 8000 pounds of trailer.

As for midrange power, before if I floored it doing 40 mph it would get up and take off like a jet. Amazing power for such a big vehicle. But that has also suffered somewhat. Not a lot, but noticeable. The new rims and tires sure look pretty though. LOL

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok I read the posts here and some other sites and have found several guys who say "don't do it cuz they'll wear out in the centers and the truck will handle poorly when loaded."

But I've also read many posts from guys who have actually put the 285s on the stock 6.5 rims and MOST of them say they've had little or no problems. A few said "yeah they wore unevenly." But everyone else says just play with the tire pressure and all wears well. So I threw caution to the wind and went ahead and had them put on the truck with the stock rims. They look great.

The ride quality is pretty much the same as it was. I think I noticed the slightest loss of power but I"m not sure. I've only driven the truck from the tire shop to my house. I nailed the throttle a few times to check the power and it didn't feel like it usually does. The truck has 410 gears so it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Time will tell. Some day I'll report how they wore if anyone is interested.
Budd I have never had a uneven wear pattern on my tires. Just replace two, one had a sidewall cut which was replaced free and the other was starting to show wear and I went ahead and replaced it. I am running load range E on my truck and run about 55 to 60 PSI. I do have a dump insert that does get used quite a bit.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is a hypertech programmer something I can buy or do I bring the truck somewhere?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Just a quick warning to all those running oversize on the aluminum PYO wheels - we've been running at least 285's on these wheels for years. In time (5-6 years) you will find that the bead on the rim will wear thin, and the outer lip will break off, especially on the inside of the rim. While this hasn't caused any failures to date, we are replacing rims with the tires now, for safety reasons. This has been attributed to the 7.5 tire on the 6.5 rim.

This is only a problem with the PYOs - no problems with the steel wheels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok I answered my own question by looking it up online. The Hypertech programmers are available to anyone but they're about $350 to $400. So I'll try and find a shop that has one and see what they'll charge to program my truck.

It's not a chip. It's an electronic tool that you plug in and use to adjust all kinds of things from your speedometer to the horsepower and torque of the truck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
ok I answered my own question by looking it up online. The Hypertech programmers are available to anyone but they're about $350 to $400. So I'll try and find a shop that has one and see what they'll charge to program my truck.

It's not a chip. It's an electronic tool that you plug in and use to adjust all kinds of things from your speedometer to the horsepower and torque of the truck.
Memory some times fails me ! Were talking all the way back to 1996. Maybe it was the car we put the chip into.:beatsme
I be leave I left the truck alone because I did'nt want to spend the money.

But its more what gmc driver is stating that worries me! :popcorn2
does this tend to happen with stock steel rims ?:popcorn

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
BUDD..............I have a Hypertech hand held programmer that I used
on my 04 2500 6.0.

It won't work on my 07 but if your looking for one and you have a
04 6.0 motor GM full sizer I wanna sell it for $100 shipped.
Contact me with a PM for info.

Also note that this is a handheld programmer that plugs into the truck and
unloads the program into it. It will adjust tire size, shift points, top speed,
rev limiter, etc.

You must also remember that going to a bigger size tire than stock
makes yout speedo/odo readings to be off also. This programmer will
correct that.

Check out http://www.hypertech.com for full info on this programmer.
It is model #30022

.......geo

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not to hi-jack this thread too much, but since it's come up - is Hypertech the way to go for programming HD trucks.....or what about others like BullyDog or whatever?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts