Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAVING 8' FISHER INSTALLED ON 2003 CHEVY 2500 HD EXTENDED CAB SHORT BED. CURRENTLY HAVE 89 CHEVY 1/2 TON EXTENDED CAB WITH 8' BED. FOR WEIGHT IN THE BACK OF THIS TRUCK I PUT IN ABOUT 40 SHOVELS OF SALT AND SAND FOR WEIGHT. FOR THE NEW TRUCK I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THIS . WHAT IS RECOMMENDED AND HOW TO SECURE WEIGHT. I STILL WILL CARRY SEVERAL 5GALLON BUCKETS OF SAND AND SALT.
THANKS IN ADVANCE. ALSO HOW MUCH WEIGHT IS NEEDED IN BACK FOR THIS TRUCK? :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I had my X-Blade put on they told me no ballast. After getting stuck and getting some wheel hop, I filled some rubbermaid totes with sand and it helped. This summer I put on an EZ Dumper and that alone has helped greatly. It weighs about 700#. I believe the rule of thumb is what ever the weight of the plow, put that same amount in the rear behind the wheel wells.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We run a 2003 Chevy 2500hd with a 8' Fisher Plow. The only thing in the back the entire storm is a 55 gallon transfer tank of diesel fuel. The driver has never had any trouble getting stuck. But one thing make sure that you crank up the torsion bars after you get it. It will need it. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

·
Registered
309 Posts
Chet,

Welcome to the site:waving

A quick note, please do not use the Caps Lock!! It's like you are yelling at us!:(

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have a '02 Chevy 2500HD with 8' Fisher plow, pretty similar to your setup. As per Fisher chart, it said that 500# of ballast is required to help counterbalance the plow. In addtion to that, you should put in some more weight for traction in rear. On mine I put in around 900# of ballast and it seems to help significantly with traction and counterbalancing the plow. I find that the easiest way to add and remove weight from rear of truck is sand tube. It is a strong woven bag filled with sand. They usually weight around 70 pounds each tube.

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
I put a 8 foot Fisher S/S Xblade on my 2000 GMC 2500 ( not classified as a HD, but had HD suspension)

Fisher specs called for 600 lbs of ballast , so I went out and bought 12 - 50lb bags of sand and placed them behind the wheel wells acros the width of the bed.

They haven't moved so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts