Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD that we have owned since new (6.0 gas, regular cab, 8' bed) and a spare Blizzard 810 :blizzardbuilt in 2004 that I would like to install on it. Should I plan on any front suspension upgrades? Timbrens, cognito leveling kit or just turn up the torsion bars? Some input as to what others have done with such a heavy plow would be great. Some background: the truck had a meyers EZ classic on it and I was going to sell the truck so I took the plow, light bar and electric spreader wiring and trailer brake control off of it - so I have to start over anyway. Or do I sell the pickup and buy this 2003 F350 :drool that I found on Craigslist: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1880955050.html
Which seems like a decent price after I sell the plow, fuel tank, tool box the truck would cost about 12k and is close to me.
:feedback
Thanks in advance from another wooden shoe snow plower.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Timbrens and crank the torsion bars up half dozen turns, and you will be fine :)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Add ballast to the rear, at least the weight of the plow. Watch the front frame for cracks, a notorious problem on the GM trucks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Adding gussets to the front end IMO is more important then Timbrens. I don't run them on mine. Ballast is also a must. Otherwise you'll be golden with that set up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adding gussets to the front end IMO is more important then Timbrens. I don't run them on mine. Ballast is also a must. Otherwise you'll be golden with that set up.
Could you explain the gussets in a little more detail? Thanks in advance.

Thanks to the others for your input - it is appreciated.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The gussets are small plates of steel welded between frame and the bracket that holds the bushings of the upper controll arm.At least thats where Jerre installed them on my 09 3500.Seems to work nicely, need some snow to know for sure.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
Forget the leveling kit!
Thats only for the driveway queen trucks....................

Adding the new torsion bar keys aka the green or Ford keys are the
best way to gain ground clearance along with ballast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts