Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone delt with these "new to me" rotors on the F-150 that are basically a combo of drum and disk?? My truck was acting like a u-joint was gone. I took the driveshaft down and everything was fine. When I got back from a 50 mile trip I was hearing a strange noise from the right rear wheel. Put the truck up on the lift and saw that the e brake cable was off the little lever and the hub was very warm. I took the caliper and rotor off and there is a set of brake shoes on the inside of the rotor that they use for the e brake system. The pads were basically floating in there like they had just come unglued from the steel shoe. The back of the rotor had little dings in it so I assume that is why it was making the truck act like it had a bad u-joint. Anyway I have to put this back together tomorrow when I get the parts, is there any special tricks I need to know about or do they just set right up on there just like you would do a regular drum setup?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
They are just for the parking brake,so just replace the shoes,and don't worry if the drum is scored up at all on the inside.

Don't adjust them too tight,to they will heat up ,and come apart again.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Forgot to add,you may want to use a die grinder and remove the ridge of built up rust on the edge of the park brake drum.It can be difficult to get the drums on without damaging the new shoes if the rust build up is severe.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The do not self adjust.Just run them up until the emergency brake pedal feels good (the right amount of travel),but the shoes don't drag.

Always better too loose that too tight,ot you'll be doing it all over again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts