Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Just got back from visiting some relatives in Montreal for Christmas and they recieved about a foot of snow on Christmas day. You should have seen the fleets of tractors out on the streets. Bi-directional tractors with blades on the front, drags on the back and wings on the side. I saw hundreds of units out working. Surprisingly, just a handful of pickup trucks.
Anyhow, just for interest, the going rate in that west end of Montreal is $200 canadian dollars for a season of residential snow blowing on a double car drive. Averaging about 50 visits per year (2" trigger, 25 storms, 1 visit for snow, 1 visit for the plow bank) that works out to about $4 per visit. Hard to believe but these guys have been doing thousands of drives for as long as I can remember (15 yrs). Pretty competitive there, often with 5 or more companies on the same street.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I guess they are making their money in volume. I can never understand why someone would undercut themselves like that when they could be doing 1/4 the work for the same amount of money. My cheapest seasonal residential 2 car drive is $280, based on 10 visits (we usually go out 7-8 times a winter, rarely 10)

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The tractors are very efficient.$4 a drive is pretty cheap though,so they gotta do the volume to make it profitable.

We are starting to see the big tractors being used a lot for large commercial properties as well.A big 4WD tractor with a huge blade or pusher can clear a huge lot in no time.A lot of the local farmers are subbing out to some of the contractors a really good rates.I guess the already have the equipment,so they just add a blade or pusher,and they are ready to go.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There had been several discussions on the other site regarding the use of tractors, as plowing vehicals. What I gathered from all the threads, I had read, was this: A tractor and snowblower setup could do hundreds of driveways in an 8 hour shift. I think some people using this setup were claiming driveway times less that 30 seconds per driveway.

Thats preaty fast considering a good time for a pickup truck on a similar driveway might be 3 to 5 minutes.

Chuck B.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I'd also like to see the driveways that are being done in this amount of time. I can't imagine they'd be much bigger than 1 car with very little length to them. They'd have to be close together too to make those production levels.

I'm not sure the conditions being quoted are typical of what most would find in their neighborhood.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pelican, I believe your right. The examples I was refering too were tractors plowing townhome and condo. associations. The driveways were 2 cars wide and approx. 35 feet long.

In my market, there are lots of these types of communities. But the feasability of using a large tractor to plow them is preaty much crazy! Especially if you need to drive on roadways to get to other projects.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
I talked with someone who used one of the smaller (65-75 HP I think) up there and if I remember right they would do close to 200 drives a night per tractor. That's 40K a year. If your route is tight it wouldn't be bad money. They'll go about 15 MPH so keep the accounts close and you could really make some money.

No piles either with the pull type snowblowers he was using, so their was no turning around and blocking the vision out the end of drives either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the other site someone posted a Pic of one of the tractors with the inverted blower which had a remote contolled shute to direct where to put the snow and was about 8' wide.
It looked pretty sweet for doing small driveways in the city.
But if you were out in the country(like me) it would take way to much time to drive between sites.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts