Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, before I go out and buy this thing, can anyone give me the pro's and con's of this truck? I bought my last truck in December 1986 brand new so I am someone who keeps a vehicle for the long haul. Of course, I have done a lot of work to my 1/2 ton over the years, mostly because I worked it like a 1-ton!

So here is the deal on the "new" truck: It's a 1995 Chevy 2500, std. cab, longbed. It has virtually nothing for options. It has a rubber floor mat, crank up windows, AM/FM stereo, rear sliding window, trailer hitch, diamond plate bed rail protectors and running boards. 5.7 V8 with 4-speed automatic. It only has 59K on it (this is the big attraction to me).
On the bad side, it was a town truck so it is painted yellow. The truck is not to handsome looking IMHO, but there is not rust, no dents, and very minor scratches. The engine is very clean. I'm probably going to be able to pick it up for $6700 with brand new 235/85R16 BFG All Terrains on it. I don't know what trucks go for in your area but 3/4 tons with that kind of milage are more than double that around here in price (of course they are newer and not yellow). Any other 3/4 ton trucks I have found in that price range are either older or have a million (OK, 120K+) miles on them.

Is this truck going to last me? I'm an old straight axle guy so I am very hesitant about the new IFS trucks. Please give me some feedback; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The truck should do fine.The front end might not be as strong as a solid axle,but if you take care of it,it should survive.With that low mileage,it should last a long time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is almost identical to mine, except I have a '94. Mine has been a plow truck for a long time (before me) and is still going strong at 135K.

Steve

·
Registered
485 Posts
ive got a 93 2500. It is a great truck, very reliable and has't let me down yet. I think the 89-98 Chevs are the nicest looking body style too. Good luck with your new truck.:burnout

·
Registered
275 Posts
It seems to be a good deal if it is in the condition you described.

I bought my 1995 k2500 last december at 60k miles. It came with a 7.5' western plow and a dump insert. Reg cab long bed 5.7L with 4l80e 4 speed auto, pretty much the same specs as the one you are looking at. Rubber floor, crank windows, manual locks, am/fm stereo. It does have the front appearance package (silverado grill) and cruise. It just isn't yellow:)

My truck has plowed its whole life. Very reliable, i'm very happy with it.

I posted some pics of it for you on the other thread you started.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I posted in the other thread but I will say some other things i left out. The options are good espeacially for plowing, no electric windows to break, no carpet to stain, you can change the radio real quick, and the paint can be changed cheap, unless you want a bright yellow truck which will be benificial in the snow. The fact that it was a town truck is one downside, alot of drivers they beat the trucks, they drive in salt for long periods of time and who knows if they clean the undercarriage. The truck sounds decent for the price. Does it have a plow? Cause if it doesn't that will mean it wasn't beaten as much. My boss runs three gmc/chevies. The one gmc has been salting and plowing since 95 and is starting to show its age but it runs everywinter after sitting all spring summer and fall. GMC makes a good vehicle and the independent susp. is underestimated. I think it should make a good truck but make sure you check it out before you buy it.
Good luck,
Eric

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Well my 93 was a former highway department truck also. I had to put a fair chunk of change into it to get it to pass inspection 1 yr. after i got it. Tie rods/inner outer pitman arm etc all steering componets needed replacement. Any way after that it has been a great truck and it should be good for yrs to come. Just wind up the torsion bars and throw a set of Timbren load boosters and you will have a great plow truck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought it!

Ryan – I love the pictures of your truck! That’s how it sits with no lift kit?

All – I bought the truck; I should get it Wednesday or Thursday. I had them put on larger tires. I went with Wyldman’s suggestion and picked out 235/85 BFG All-Terrain’s. According to the BFG website/detail page they are the same height as the 265’s (31.8”) but they are narrower (9.3” vs. 10.5”). I hope this truck performs in the snow as well as my ‘ol ’87. I run a set of 33x9.50x15 BFG AT’s and that truck is unstoppable in the snow. That’s why I stayed with the narrower tire; to try to match what I run now.
It’s yellow; big deal. I want to add a set of factory-like flares in black on it, that should break it up some. Next spring it’ll get a headache rack; I’d love to find a used EZ-Dumper for it too.
The truck has never been plowed with so it’s not beat. The undercarriage and rear springs are still painted. My wife hates the truck. She looked at a green one on the lot (1/2 ton, extended cab, 97); they wanted $2K more and it had $120+K miles on it! Stereo will be upgraded (by me) to a CD player. Other than that, I’m just going to drive it a while. I’ll look for a plow after my old truck sells. I have a 33HP Massey with a rear mounted snow thrower on it to clear my 1500’ gravel drive (broke two shear pins yesterday, dammit). Next year I’ll be set up and ready to take on customers again.

Thanks for the help/advice. I’ll try to post some pictures once I get it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts