Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a 1974 Dodge W100 with the 360 in it and a granny 4 speed manual tranny. The truck came from the factory with the snowplow prep package so has the dual batteries. My E60 pump on the EZ classic frame and mount work great as I completely tear down the pump and rebuild it every other year, however I change the fluid every year. The issue is with my truck the last two winters. My truck will lift, drop and angle the plow both directions with no issues if I have the RPM's up but the truck will die if its at its normal RPM of around 600-700 RPM. It will immediately start back up after it dies. The pump will also work perfect just off of the batteries if the truck is not running. I have all brand new NAPA battery cables, new plow solenoid, new dual batteries in 2018 (batteries are hooked up in parallel), new pump motor and a 100 amp alternator that is wired directly to my batteries. For the life in me I cannot figure out why my truck is dying at idle. What makes it worse is with it being a manual tranny it can be challenging to get it into gear with the RPM's to high as the gears don't want to and aren't suppose to mesh at that high of a idle. I am very mechanically inclined so any suggestions would be great. I'm pretty confident its not a grounding issue as all of my grounds are in place plus the truck will stay running when using the plow at a high RPM. I cannot and do not remember anything unusual happening to my truck when it started doing this two winters ago. I just put up with it the last two years but got to figure it out this year. Thanks all....

·
Super Moderator
908 Posts
there wasn’t a plow prep in 74
You could buy a truck called a snofighter/ snocomander that was outfitted with a Meyer plow from the factory
The factory installed plow of that era had
A belt driven pump.
So there wasn’t a need for 2 batteries.

Anyway
It sounds like something is shorting out .
Check your connection at the plow motor
And take a reading and see how many amps
It is drawing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
At low rpms, what is the voltage and amps coming out of your alternator?
Have you preformed a voltage drop across the system while operating the plow?

·
Registered
367 Posts
At low rpms, what is the voltage and amps coming out of your alternator?
Have you preformed a voltage drop across the system while operating the plow?
All stated here, and if my memory is correct, the ignition coils on those engines would get weak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there wasn’t a plow prep in 74
You could buy a truck called a snofighter/ snocomander that was outfitted with a Meyer plow from the factory
The factory installed plow of that era had
A belt driven pump.
So there wasn’t a need for 2 batteries.

Anyway
It sounds like something is shorting out .
Check your connection at the plow motor
And take a reading and see how many amps
It is drawing.
Well my pump isn't belt driven so must be a aftermarket application. Connections are all tight. How do I take a reading for the amps at the plow motor?

·
Registered
201 Posts
but where and how do you do it?
Black lead on neg battery post.
Red on pos battery.
What's your voltage?
Operate plow, what's your voltage?
Move red test lead to solenoid, and operate the plow. Move to other terminal of solenoid, operate plow.
Anything more then a 2 volt difference and there is your problem component.
Are all your ground connections in tact?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Black lead on neg battery post.
Red on pos battery.
What's your voltage?
Operate plow, what's your voltage?
Move red test lead to solenoid, and operate the plow. Move to other terminal of solenoid, operate plow.
Anything more then a 2 volt difference and there is your problem component.
Are all your ground connections in tact?
Running voltage is 14ish and drops to 12ish when I operate plow and then jumps back to 14ish when plow stops moving. 2nd new solenoid I've installed so pretty confident its not that. Yes all grounds are great and new NAPA cables. Like I stated in my original post, the plow works perfect at around 1200-1400 or fast idle RPM's but will kill the truck at 700-800 RPM where RPM's are suppose to be. Plow also works great also when truck is shut off and plow is just operating off of batteries. I'm thinking the draw from the pump motor which is also new is to much for the 100 amp alternator when the truck is idling that low. Thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts