Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals, I’ve got an old western (or Fisher?) plow that I bought used and installed on my 92. I have a new pump motor but I inprovised the wiring. It’s got a 12v shutoff in-line and I am manually turning power on and off without a relay. Is it a bad thing to do that. The pump motor is obviously running continuously. There is what appears to be a small ground wire coming from the joystick. Not sure how relay wiring works or if I should have one or not. It’s an old plow. The joystick is not electronic. It’s an old cable driven style. Thanks a lot. Here are some pics of the plow head. The motor in the pic is the old one I’ve replaced .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously needs some love but it is working. Just. Worries that having the pump motor running continuously is a bad thing? I’ll be sure to give it a full servicing soon

·
Registered
677 Posts
You could burn up the motor,drain your battery and possibly melt some wires,
solenoid’s are cheap

Get some parts cleaner ,get some spray lube, get some silicone &seal that thing.

Where do you think you’re going to get cables & parts after they go bad

·
Registered
164 Posts
Post up a picture of your controller, there should be one wire coming out of it. I can write you a wiring diagram tomorrow. You need a Western solenoid, wire that in, then that wire goes to one of the small terminals one the solenoid. When you are working the controller, it makes contact inside, then it grounds out the solenoid thru the cables to the HYd unit. And I have a new controller with cables on the shelf if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys, SnoFarmer I’ll definately take your advice and clean & seal those up, when cables and parts are needed I’ll have to see what I can find or fabricate. In the end if a new head unit (is that what you call it?) and harness are eventually needed I’ll take the plunge but for now we can clean this up as much as possible and squeeze some more life out of it. Nobody relies on me so if i end up breaking down in a storm it’s no big deal.

Dude, I’ll pull that controller apart and post a pic, I think a conducting component may be missing on the joystick. I considered wiring a toggle switch next to the joystick so I could just quickly flip the 12V solenoid on and of led but I’m sure that’ll get old fast

And thanks Walter I’ll get in ordering one,, I stopped into my local Princess Auto (kind of the Canadian version of harbour freight). And all they had were starter solenoids with an 80amp max so I didn’t bother.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Walter. Yes it’s a battery disconnect but I’ll be swapping it out for this solenoid I picked up at a local dealer today. Think the control is missing a ground based on the diagram on page 22 thanks for that. I did a fluid change last night and the hydraulic system is working very well. Will let you know how the wiring goes after tonight

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks Walter. Yes it’s a battery disconnect but I’ll be swapping it out for this solenoid I picked up at a local dealer today. Think the control is missing a ground based on the diagram on page 22 thanks for that. I did a fluid change last night and the hydraulic system is working very well. Will let you know how the wiring goes after tonight View attachment 30790
Cool... I think you have this under control... post the result.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts