·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has any one put there order in for the 1 tone srw pickup? 9999 lb gvw

·
Registered
979 Posts
I believe that the GVWR has been increased from 9200# to 9900#. I also heard that it is only available on long box, and also am told that it is starting to appear at the dealer lots.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I also so heard it was the same frame as the 2500hd but with different tires. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yeah, the tire size probably is increased from 245 (pizza cutter) to 265 to handle the increased GVWR.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I ws at the Chevy dealer last week and all they have is rumors about availability. When I asked the salesman he came back with his own question, "Do you REALLY need that much GVW?"

I told him I needed it a hell of a lot more than the yuppie who buys a 2500HD to tow a 16' boat or a 3,000 lb camper.

No need to upgrade from the 245 rubber, a 245E range is good for something a little over 3,000 lbs as is. And the 245 is better in snow than the wider 265.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I was told that my truck is better then the New 2500HD. I was told this when looking at a V blade that my front axle is better equiped to handle a blade thent he new trucks

Well better front axle ? Can this be true why ? Old saying they dont build them like they used to ?
I see alot of guys with the 2500hd and if i was to get a new truck i would go for a 1ton single wheel

My truck is a 96 2500 Extended cab short box. I forgot what it said in the door about its GVWR.

Why does it say my back tires should be 80PSI and front 60PSI. The trires now are running at 70PSI all around and it is already like a hay wagon.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is what I know:

9900lbs gvw
16x7" wheels with 265/75/R16 Tires
Long bed only

Will not replace 2500hd

Sounds like a nice work truck to me:burnout

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Seems like alot of money to pay for just 700lbs increase in GWVR.

I have a 2500HD now, so why would I want to get a 3500HD just for 700lbs? Seems funny they are bringing back the 1 ton SRW after not offering it for a few years saying the 2500HD upgrades replaced it. What is the price difference from the 2500HD to the 3500/HD.

As a side note scaled my 2500HD with the 8' Pro plow and the 2yd V boxed level full of salt, 11,500lbs. For those of you that think you are running the same set up anywhere near GVWR, as most of you would have stated, nice try. I know I am not the only one running this set up. Check those tire for at least an E rating, and the 80/70 PSI is a must too. This is a WORK truck not ment to ride like the minni van.

Why not bring back the regular size cab in the 4500/5500 DRW line too. That large cab on the short wheel base with a 9 or 10 foot dump seems like a miss match. I could not get that into half of the properties I service. That is why I went with a 2003 F-450 with the new 6.0PSD/5 speed auto, (BTW this tranny rocks) Would have stayed with GM if I could have gotten the regular size cab in a 4500HD Duarmax/Allison match up. Look like Ford might be hurting there sale making them bring back the 1 ton SRW line, but still can not see the bennifit.

It is just funny, when I was looking for a new pick up I was looking at a F-250/350 Super Duty ended up with a 2001 2500HD. I have beed VERY happy with the overall performance of this truck and have reccommended it to several friends two of which bought one. So when I went to buy a cab and chasis, I go right to the Chevy store only to see that UGLY kodiac/topkick thing. Back to Ford I go, and end up ordering a F-450. Now I need another pick up truck so what do I buy, another 2500HD, a 3500HD, or a F-350 Superduty??

Seems like there should be some way to get more than 700lbs increase in GVWR before having to go to a 1 ton Dually. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You can now get a 3500 with single rears....

If I had the option I would have gotten a single rear 3500. When I made mention of this the salesman tried to tell me how there was no reason to and if someone wants a bigger truck they do it because of towing and they want dual rears for stability.....umm....NO, a small group of people want a 3500SRW for 2 reasons.... 1 they get 265's instead of the tiny 245's that come on the 2500HD's. And the added(by the law) payload for a aftermarket box with tools/aux fule(or a spreader)

or because of marketing and people just need the "bigger" truck...

Difference between a current 2500HD and a 3500HD DRW is duals and springs. And of the higher rated capacity.

Chevy does need to make something to compete with the 550's, that oversized 2wd kodiack aint it(although I think they are going to start making 4x4's?)

I say drop a silverado cab on a beefy frame with the duramax and a dana 70 up front :shades Who's got wood over that idea?:eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Seems like alot of money to pay for just 700lbs increase in GWVR.

What is the price difference from the 2500HD to the 3500/HD.
How much more money is it? I don't think it will be a lot more than the 2500HD. By the way, I think it is 3500 (not HD).

Seems funny they are bringing back the 1 ton SRW after not offering it for a few years saying the 2500HD upgrades replaced it.
The 2500HD did replace the old 3500 SRW, it was 9200 gvw just like the 2500HD is. I think they are making the 9900lbs gvw to compete with ford and dodge.

I could not get that into half of the properties I service.
You probably already know this but they have a much tighter turning radius than the superduties. I personally like how a lot of them look.
GMC:

Chevy:

Sorry, I get a little bored when there is no snow:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I say drop a silverado cab on a beefy frame with the duramax and a dana 70 up front Who's got wood over that idea?
I do :nodd

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
4evergreenlawns said:
Why not bring back the regular size cab in the 4500/5500 DRW line too. That large cab on the short wheel base with a 9 or 10 foot dump seems like a miss match. I could not get that into half of the properties I service. That is why I went with a 2003 F-450 with the new 6.0PSD/5 speed auto, (BTW this tranny rocks) Would have stayed with GM if I could have gotten the regular size cab in a 4500HD Duarmax/Allison match up.
I'm not so sure that the 4500 cab is actually bigger than a pickup cab. It looks big because it's taller, and it may be a bit wider, but I don't think the footprint is more than marginally bigger. And even if the cab is wider than a pickup it's still narrower than the body.

The numbers that count are Bumper to Back of Cab (BBC) and Cab to Axle (CA). It has been pretty standard on medium trucks to have a BBC of very near 96" for a long time. I just checked my K3500 pickup and BBC on that "regular sized" cab is somewhere around 106".

When I get near a dealer I will try to get specs, just to satisfy my curiousity. I'll also check BBC on my old 5500, which has a cab shell identical to the pickups of that age.

I had an F550 deliver compost on a job and that wsa the most clubfooted truck I have seen in a long time. So little steering cut that he used way more room than my 5500 did getting in and turning to get back out. At first I thought the driver was just incompetent until I realized he was turning full lock.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
maybe the 5500's and 4500's I saw were the long wheelbase versions or it just looked so with the box off? I know there are 3 or so wb of 550's to chose from arnt there?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
The 4500s I'm seeing here are mostly geared at the car hauler market and have about a mile of frame. I haven't really gone over any of them to see how they are spec'ed out but they have all been low profile rigs with just about no ground clearance. The Lo-Pros are good for flatbed work as they don't get off the pavement but for anything that had to go on site I'd much rather have taller tires so I had some air under the axles.

I haven't sat in one, and as a rule I don't care for the droop snoot look, but I can see where visibility has got to be improved over a design that is high hooded.

I spent a couple years in an F750, way back when. It carried a 9' dump and if you could get a pickup into a site you could make it in with the big truck most of the time. It was pretty common to gross in the low 30K range with that truck and unless the site was really hard you didn't get to shuffle much before you were sinking in pretty badly.

I think that the higher cab design on the 4500s tends to be a little intimidating to some folks. They sure do "look" bigger than they are. I learned to drive in bigger trucks, F650 and 1600 Internationals, when I could barely reach the pedals, so the fel of the bigger trucks is pretty familiar for me. But I can see where some folks feel more at home in the pickup style cabs.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I just pulled these numbers off the GMC website. These are for the 4500 but I would think the 5500 would be the same.

Cab Dimensions

Cab width W/Mirrors Extended 114.9

Cab width Max at front fenders 95.9

Overall height 89.4

Front bumper to rear of cab 105

BBC is very clsoe to the current GM pickups. Width is greater, probably by close to 18", although whatever body you hang on it would be 96" as well, When you hang the mirros out it gets wide fast, and it's tall, no matter how you look at it.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
I forgot all about the 2X4 only on the 4500/5500. I also forgot to mention my F-450 is 4X4. I can not see have a plow - salt truck without 4WD on a 141" WB.

I do tow a 7X14 trailier two axel trailer all summer and in and out of small lots all day long. I have not seen any less handling than with my 2500HD. The wider foot print is about 50/50 good and bad. But I do get double the amount of salt in the dump.

Alan, I am sure you are right on the actual measurements so I guess it just looks so much bigger. I could not see using it my application again in and out of the small lots all year round.

I am still left with the question WHY would I buy a 3500? Just for 700lbs on the GVWR? I can buy 265 tires for my 2500HD, and from what I have been told you can not get an E rated tire in a 265. I am running Bridestone REVO's 245 E rated tires and not squat and they are awesome in the snow. So I am thinking the 245 in an E rating could be better the a 265 just to see a wider look. Operation capability is more important than looks.

As I stated, I am looking to add at least one more truck maybe two so this is a serious intrerest not just a curiousity.

Ron

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think if GM ups the HP and torque and adds the 4x4 to there 4500-5500 trucks they will have a winning combo plus and upgraded auto/tranny

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah I don't know why they don't have the 4x4 option yet. It was supposed to be made available eventually.

About the tires. There are a few 265/75/r16 tires out there in load range E. Here are a few I can name:

-Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO
-Michelin LTX M/S
-Cooper Discoverer M&S

7" rims are recommended for 265 tires and that's what the SRW 3500s come with. But, many people, including myself, run 265s on the stock 6.5" rims. Really, I don't think the 3500SRW is much different than a 2500HD with 265s.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.