Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this was discussed on the other site a while back but i'll start my own thread to try and diagnose MY problem:huh
4l80E tranny,70,000 miles,Ext cab.When you shift into drive from park,the tranny clunks,when you shift from drive to reverse,it clunks,it sounds like it's right underneath you when it happens.The U-joints all look good but there seems to be excessive play (turning the drive shaft back and forth in park) in the drive shaft coming out the transfer case. I assume it needs some play but how much is to much?Should i be looking at something besides that?

·
Registered
866 Posts
How old are the u-joints? I would start there since if they are loose they will cause the clunk that you will feel through the t-case. If they are new, and have no play, then I would start at te t-case because the chain might be loosening up- it happens over time- especially since you use your truck on a regular basis in 4wheel drive with a load on it-ie pushing snow. It's not uncommon for the chain to stretch and wear out.
I do not have the specs as to how uch play there should be, but a haynes manual, or wyldman could probably let you know.

Bill

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
U-joints are good.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Arc It sounds like the tolerences in the transfer case / transmission are getting bigger. THis always happens as I am sure you know . I have never figured out what would be considered to much before you need to act . My 97 Ram has had that clunk for some time now . But I just bought an 04 Ram . That is the most expensive way to fix it:(

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what your saying then Bill is that you are no longer praying to the transmission gods with me:D Maybe say a quick prayer for me :p

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Check the slip yoke at the transfer case.If it gets dry,you will get a clunk.Try cleaning and lubricating it to see if it helps.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should i pull that yoke shaft right out and clean it?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Yes,drop the whole shaft,and clean and regrease.Do the same to the slip yoke behind the hangar bearing too,if equipped.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i found 2 minutes to pull it into the shop today and wouldn't you know it but in come 2 plows:( ,1 pump problem and 1 light harness problem(relays are tough enough to wire,imagine someone just sticking wires on them though:headwall )Long story short,my truck was sucking hind tit again so out she went and in they came!.
Will post my findings when i can get to it and we'll go from there,thanks for the help.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Arc,

FWIW, I was hearing alot of clunking to between drive/reverse and humming in my 2001 2500HD right after I bough it brand new during the 100 miles, mind you before I ever plowed with it. I took it in to the service department, and I was told in the most condesending manner. "This here is a pick up truck, a heavy duty pick up truck at that, this is not your average car. All tucks make that kind of noise it is the heavy duty gears, and the heavy duty rear end.This is all mormal, besides it is a new truck you have 36,000 miles." Need less to say I left with a heavy duty opinoin of the service manager.

I drove the heck out of the truck for the last two years, plowed like a wyldman, oppps wrong spelling... LOL, wildman. The clunk got louder and so did the humming. So in late September this year, at 27,000 miles I took my truck into to a local dealership closer to my home NOT where I purchased it. I had a few things that needed to be done, brakes, oil change, fluid checks, so on, getting ready for the winter and I told the service guy about the noise.

He called me about two hours later to tell me the rear end had about 500 miles before it would have gone to bits. The pinion gear, left and right carried bearing in the rear end were totaly spent. He added that this is something he has seen before due to improper tolerances on the bench during build at the factory.
They rebulit the rear end under warranty.

Just wanted to share that with you. I too thought that I was hearing something in the tranny but it was further back. Now these is a slight noise between gears but no humming at all. It was kind of like getting a new truck without the noise.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats interesting,scary,but interesting!There's no humming here going down the road and the noise is more of a Clank,as opposed to a Clunk(if that makes any sense)
Gonna follow the doctors orders and clean/lube that shaft and we'll go from there,possibly farther back like you said,hope not:(

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Don

There are lots if incentives on buying a new truck. The driveline Gods will give you a new lease on life . My new clock is 7yr/70K :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts