Best solenoid - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wyldman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: kentucky
Posts: 641
Send a message via AIM to Kentucky
Best solenoid

what is the best solenoid out there for plows, dumps, and salters. I'm sick of replacing the crappy ones again and again. I'm looking for one that is continuos duty and strong as hell. Seems like the one below is popular.


http://shopping.murcal.com/Catalog/B...y/114-1211-020

02 Dodge 3500 8' meyer and downeaster dump salter
98 GMC 7500 no salter yet

"Plows are for front ballast. We salt for a living in Cincy"
Kentucky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
BWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Metrowest ,MA Elev427'
Posts: 5,177
Trombetta is considered one of the best

Bill White
2011 Silverado 2500HD LT Ext Cab 6.0
Fisher XLS
7' snowman backplow/18" extension
A CAT C9-400HP in back of a big box
BWhite is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Maine
Posts: 748
Trombetta has a great reputation. BTW, they are relays/contactors, not solenoids.

Plowless and Pleased
2COR517 is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
snowjoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Waterport, NY
Posts: 3,381
Send a message via AIM to snowjoker
You need to get a continuous duty solenoid not a starter solenoid. They over heat and wear the parts internally out and dont shut off or turn on properly. Your looking at 20-30 bucks for a good continuous duty solenoid.. The guy who rebuilt my salt spreader motor gave me one for 30 bucks and said it will hold up to the abuse of constant power going through it.. I dont remember what brand it was but i think it might have been a Bosch...

Walt
95 Jeep YJ 760 Speedwing
90 Dodge W250 CTD Blizzard 810
Harder Electri-Spread SS v box
1946 Oshkosh W-307 12' Viking one way, 8' Frink V
snowjoker is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 07:03 PM
EIB
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
EIB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Posts: 1,044
Here is the site to look at. http://www.trombetta.com/index.cfm

I have the bear contactor

Everett
2003 F350SD/PS/CC
Two Blizzard 8611 Lo-Pros Erie Special
SnowEx Vee Pro 6000
John Deere 4610 Tractor
EIB is offline  
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Kentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: kentucky
Posts: 641
Send a message via AIM to Kentucky
looks like my original thoughts were right. I'll be picking up a few of these.

02 Dodge 3500 8' meyer and downeaster dump salter
98 GMC 7500 no salter yet

"Plows are for front ballast. We salt for a living in Cincy"
Kentucky is offline  
Old 12-23-2009, 04:48 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: western Maine
Posts: 1,167
Thanks Kentucky, I used your link to order a couple myself. Thanks Cor, I read all through the Trombetta solenoids, finally noticed "contactors" and found what I was looking for. Strange I've always heard them called solenoids, perhaps that's just what I'm familiar with due to working with solenoid valves in plumbing/appliance applications.

stargazer
stargazer is offline  
Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Maine
Posts: 748
I think it stems from starter motors. The attached solenoids are both a solenoid and relay. Then ford moved the relay to the firewall and it stuck....

I don't know.......

Plowless and Pleased
2COR517 is offline  
Old 01-15-2010, 03:28 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: western Maine
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Thanks Kentucky, I used your link to order a couple myself. Thanks Cor, I read all through the Trombetta solenoids, finally noticed "contactors" and found what I was looking for. Strange I've always heard them called solenoids, perhaps that's just what I'm familiar with due to working with solenoid valves in plumbing/appliance applications.
Kentucky and others, I just want to report back about the Trombetta "contactors". I got two of the one called the bear. Just to have on hand because they always die.

Well, recently my dump body wouldn't go up. No click, nothing. Worked fine in the evening, next morning nothing. I shoveled out the sand and finally got it up. Here is a size comparison of what was in there (has a picture of a bear, don't be fooled) and the big "Bear" from Trombetta.



It "bearly" fit, but I installed it and all is well!! And by doing it myself, I saved some .

My wife says I have so much grease on my head it looks like I'm trying to dye my hair black. She said I need a shower, but I told her it will all come off on my pillow..........

stargazer
stargazer is offline  
Old 01-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Tileman's Boys
 
The boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wilmington,Ohio
Posts: 1,094
Send a message via AIM to The boys
make sure you run the ground all the way to the battery and it should last a long time and i cant stress enuff GROUND TO BATTERY

BJ
1982 Chevy K20
Blizzard 810 Erie 1
Classic truck plowers member
1988 Jeep cherokee bliz 720
Erie special owners member

The key to knowledge isn't filling your head with lots of information. It's knowing where to look when you need it. Albert Einstein
The boys is offline  
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
stargazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: western Maine
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by The boys View Post
make sure you run the ground all the way to the battery and it should last a long time and i cant stress enuff GROUND TO BATTERY
Oh man, long way to the battery. I used the factory ground with the ring connector to the mounting screw. The other end was to the small stud opposite the small switch post.

Too darn bad I respect you guys so much I'll probably have to run a special ground wire. And I thought I was home free!

stargazer
stargazer is offline  
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Tileman's Boys
 
The boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wilmington,Ohio
Posts: 1,094
Send a message via AIM to The boys
just remeber were all your ground originate from the batt so what a better place to go for ground

BJ
1982 Chevy K20
Blizzard 810 Erie 1
Classic truck plowers member
1988 Jeep cherokee bliz 720
Erie special owners member

The key to knowledge isn't filling your head with lots of information. It's knowing where to look when you need it. Albert Einstein
The boys is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Maine
Posts: 748
Grounding to the frame is OK for lights and other low draw stuff, but a heavy load like that dump body motor really needs to ground back to the battery.

Plowless and Pleased
2COR517 is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: on the river
Posts: 273
" Question "
I normally do Run straight to the - on the battery, But I noticed my hoist on the dump is mounted to the frame, the batteries which set right next to the hoist are of course grounded to the frame but only about a foot of distance between both ground points.
Came this way from Monroe !
What would you guys do? Still run direct to the battery, The positive cable is only 24" long probabley oh say #6.
Brent Offerman is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Tileman's Boys
 
The boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wilmington,Ohio
Posts: 1,094
Send a message via AIM to The boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Offerman View Post
" Question "
I normally do Run straight to the - on the battery, But I noticed my hoist on the dump is mounted to the frame, the batteries which set right next to the hoist are of course grounded to the frame but only about a foot of distance between both ground points.
Came this way from Monroe !
What would you guys do? Still run direct to the battery, The positive cable is only 24" long probabley oh say #6.
I can tell you that copper and lead are better conductors then a rusty steel frame

BJ
1982 Chevy K20
Blizzard 810 Erie 1
Classic truck plowers member
1988 Jeep cherokee bliz 720
Erie special owners member

The key to knowledge isn't filling your head with lots of information. It's knowing where to look when you need it. Albert Einstein
The boys is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
wyldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 8,323
A large steel frame can be a better conductor than most battery cables.It's way larger,and will carry more current.

Where the problems arise is when things get rusty or corroded,then you add resistance to the circuit due to the faulty connection(s).If you keep the connections clean and well protected,then using the frame is NOT an issue at all.

The other thing you have to remember when grounding to the chassis or frame is do you you have a complete circuit back to the battery ? If your running 300 amps back to the frame from a motor,you better have a connection from the frame to battery negative terminal that will support is as well.



wyldman is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: on the river
Posts: 273
I know this may not be the forom for this but since where on this whole subject, I might as well ask.
I want to get a buyers electric gate spreader. I have a salt dogg 2 yd, every once in a while obviousley the batteries get to low with heavy use, ( kill the lights let it catch back up, Know big deal ) 145 amp. alternator, got duel batteries.
Would you guys reccomend tripleing up on the batteries, or add another alternator to help compensate for all the additional use of juice ?
I'm still trying to get over this whole cross over from Hydralic systems here.
Brent Offerman is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Reading, Pa
Posts: 253
Better yet mount the solenoid under the hood, it's easier to get too then!
lilweeds is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Tileman's Boys
 
The boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wilmington,Ohio
Posts: 1,094
Send a message via AIM to The boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldman View Post
A large steel frame can be a better conductor than most battery cables.It's way larger,and will carry more current.

Where the problems arise is when things get rusty or corroded,then you add resistance to the circuit due to the faulty connection(s).If you keep the connections clean and well protected,then using the frame is NOT an issue at all.

The other thing you have to remember when grounding to the chassis or frame is do you you have a complete circuit back to the battery ? If your running 300 amps back to the frame from a motor,you better have a connection from the frame to battery negative terminal that will support is as well.
and if you take the frame out of the equation its not a problem dont argue with common since no more screwing around with it and haveing to maitain clean connecttions and i know of other people tyhat will disagree too

BJ
1982 Chevy K20
Blizzard 810 Erie 1
Classic truck plowers member
1988 Jeep cherokee bliz 720
Erie special owners member

The key to knowledge isn't filling your head with lots of information. It's knowing where to look when you need it. Albert Einstein
The boys is offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: on the river
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Offerman View Post
I know this may not be the forom for this but since where on this whole subject, I might as well ask.
I want to get a buyers electric gate spreader. I have a salt dogg 2 yd, every once in a while obviousley the batteries get to low with heavy use, ( kill the lights let it catch back up, Know big deal ) 145 amp. alternator, got duel batteries.
Would you guys reccomend tripleing up on the batteries, or add another alternator to help compensate for all the additional use of juice ?
I'm still trying to get over this whole cross over from Hydralic systems here.


Maybe everyone over looked my last post!
Brent Offerman is offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
wyldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Offerman View Post


Maybe everyone over looked my last post!
If your running dual batteries down,then you need a bigger alternator. I bet yours is pretty weak. A third battery will make it last a little longer before the voltage starts dropping, but you will then have to wait that much longer for it to charge back up again.

Test the batteries too,they may be getting weak,and have little reserve capacity left.



lj martin likes this.
wyldman is offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
wyldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilweeds View Post
Better yet mount the solenoid under the hood, it's easier to get too then!
That's the best place for them. Easier to get at for testing and jumping if needed,but most importantly, it keep your big supply wire going to the motor dead until the solenoid engages.



wyldman is offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: on the river
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldman View Post
If your running dual batteries down,then you need a bigger alternator. I bet yours is pretty weak. A third battery will make it last a little longer before the voltage starts dropping, but you will then have to wait that much longer for it to charge back up again.

Test the batteries too,they may be getting weak,and have little reserve capacity left.
Thanks for the imput. I'll check both, and probabely buy new batteries, I did'nt know they made an alternator larger than 145. amp. though !
I just want to make sure when I get all hooked up next season that I'm not killing lights and sitting tight waiting on batteries to charge. All though this has been a season for salt this year lotta spreading for electric's.
Brent Offerman is offline  
Old 11-02-2019, 10:36 AM
Junior Member
 
lj martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Offerman View Post
Thanks for the imput. I'll check both, and probabely buy new batteries, I did'nt know they made an alternator larger than 145. amp. though !
I just want to make sure when I get all hooked up next season that I'm not killing lights and sitting tight waiting on batteries to charge. All though this has been a season for salt this year lotta spreading for electric's.
Im sure you solved it by now - but others might look [like me]
on my Suburban I installed a 185 amp alt the Dodge got a 165 AMP ALT
how heavy duty an ALT you can get will depend on your supply shop/store.
yup I will go overboard on ALT and battery setups.
lj martin is offline  
Old Today, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 218 or 406
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
what is the best solenoid out there for plows, dumps, and salters. I'm sick of replacing the crappy ones again and again. I'm looking for one that is continuos duty and strong as hell. Seems like the one below is popular.


http://shopping.murcal.com/Catalog/B...y/114-1211-020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
Trombetta is considered one of the best
x2

Even with two batteries and or a alternator with a higher output useing a cheap solenoid may not let enough amps flow through it .
a better quality solenoid will.
SnoFarmer is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome