Running low on fluid - Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Running low on fluid

What fluid can I top up my reserve with and how much can I put in? No arctic dealers open today.
The pump has the tank mounted to it.
Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_140921_1549113235124.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	29690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 01:21 PM

What fluid is in there currently?
post #3 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knine View Post
What fluid can I top up my reserve with and how much can I put in? No arctic dealers open today.
The pump has the tank mounted to it.
Thanks for any help
Univis J13 seems to be the preferred replacement hydraulic fluid. But I don’t know your pump model so there could be others the link here provides general information for all of the pumps including type and amount.
http://www.arcticsnowplows.com/sites...tures-2018.pdf

Mobile’s data sheet:

https://www.mobil.com/English-CA/Ind...IOCAUnivis-HVI
post #4 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 PM

If your in a bind, just run to the local Napa and get some snow plow fluid, nothing available? Put some ATF in there. Then when you have some time, do a flush, filter clean and fill.
post #5 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklebusta View Post
What fluid is in there currently?
I have no idea
post #6 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have no idea
I would drain, flush and refill with all one fluid type.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
Univis J13 seems to be the preferred replacement hydraulic fluid. But I donít know your pump model so there could be others the link here provides general information for all of the pumps including type and amount.
http://www.arcticsnowplows.com/sites...tures-2018.pdf

Mobileís data sheet:

https://www.mobil.com/English-CA/Ind...IOCAUnivis-HVI
looks like mine pump is M3493.
any idea where i can get Univis J13 otheer than the dealer?
post #8 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 04:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
looks like mine pump is M3493.
any idea where i can get Univis J13 otheer than the dealer?
No, I really donít. Perhaps a local auto parts supplier like NAPA or Autozone or I am guessing a Canadian equivalent.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok thanks for your help
post #10 of 27 Old 02-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ok thanks for your help
You are welcome. Best of luck with the plow.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 05:43 AM

You could add some synthetic ATF some all weather 32 hydraulic oil any hydraulic fluid all work in there in a pinch

And seeing as how this is a plow pump and everything

itís an old wives tale that mixing fluids in this will situation willcreate something thatís caustic or explosive ,it wonít and really wonít hurt your pump at all if you mix fluids

Like mixing motor oil you can mix straight 10w with 5W 30 synthetic if you wanted

Ps You could use 0w -10 synthetic motor oil if you want to pay more for a fluid.

Iíve been running ATF in my plows for 30 years My plow still worked last week and was -34įf ( without windchill )
post #12 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 06:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
You could add some synthetic ATF some all weather 32 hydraulic oil any hydraulic fluid all work in there in a pinch

And seeing as how this is a plow pump and everything

itís an old wives tale that mixing fluids in this will situation willcreate something thatís caustic or explosive ,it wonít and really wonít hurt your pump at all if you mix fluids

Like mixing motor oil you can mix straight 10w with 5W 30 synthetic if you wanted

Ps You could use 0w -10 synthetic motor oil if you want to pay more for a fluid.

Iíve been running ATF in my plows for 30 years My plow still worked last week and was -34įf ( without windchill )

Actually, aeration was the concern on my part for not mixing oils. ATF is the exact fluid that Arctic Snowplow pumps (most of them) recommend not using. In fact because of aeration at extreme temperatures in their pumps.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
Actually, aeration was the concern on my part for not mixing oils. ATF is the exact fluid that Arctic Snowplow pumps (most of them) recommend not using. In fact because of aeration at extreme temperatures in their pumps.
Actually it wasnít your concern at all
As you didnít mention it until now.

Aeration is what you do to a pond...

Cavitation will entrain air.
Cavitation is what happens when the pump
Runs low of fluid.

Aft has nothing to do with what you are
Describing it will not cause aeration.

ATF is a hydraulic fluid .
post #14 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 AM

Here is the link to artic ,please show me where they say what you say they do about aeration and atf.

http://www.arcticsnowplows.com/service

Also, aeration is what you to a lawn
post #15 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Actually it wasnít your concern at all
As you didnít mention it until now.

Aeration is what you do to a pond...

Cavitation will entrain air.
Cavitation is what happens when the pump
Runs low of fluid.

Aft has nothing to do with what you are
Describing it will not cause aeration.

ATF is a hydraulic fluid .
http://www.arcticsnowplows.com/sites...done_final.pdf

Go to section called general information and read...
post #16 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 AM

What type of atf are they referencing?
Because a synthetic ATF like ATF +4 has a lower cold pour point then the fluid they are recommending?

Some people that write the manuals are not always technically right , or make statements about other fluids while pushing you towards a manufactures labeled product .

I can see how youíre on familiarity of hydraulics or operating hydraulic systems has befuddled you.

Aeration, adding the introduction of air into a maternal.

Cavitation,is the formation of vapour cavities in a liquid.

when the pump is sucking on the clogged filter it could create Cavitation
post #17 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Because a synthetic ATF like ATF +4 has a lower cold pour point then the fluid they are recommending?

Some people that write the manuals are not always technically right , or make statements about other fluids while pushing you towards a manufactures labeled product .

I can see how youíre on familiarity of hydraulics or operating hydraulic systems has befuddled you.

All I have is the manual that you just read. Since, I am not an expert on Arctic Snowplows i defer to their recommendation. Actually, it hasnít befuddled me. I just tend to believe if a manufacturer says use this weight oiló I do it.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 11:40 AM

Garage
Quote:

Oil has about 9% undissovled air in it. Secondly, pumps donít suck oil into them there is a pressure differential between the resevior at normal atmospheric condition then the opposite side of the pump which is at lower pressure.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
post #20 of 27 Old 02-04-2019, 09:03 AM

Wrong, pressure difrention does not plow a role, But atmosphere pressure may.
It would be the air that you say is in the oil that makes the cavity of air during cavitation

Cavitation, how it happens,
Hydraulic oil contains approximately 9% of dissolved air. When the oil cannot flow into the pump fast enough to match pump’s intake volume, air is pulled out of the oil. The air bubbles travel into the pump, and when they reach an area of relatively high pressure, they collapse (implode). The resulting shock waves cause a steady, high-pitched whining sound and damage to the insides of the pump.

To have air entrained into the oil there would have to be a leaky fitting. whole a crack in the suction line from outside air source,
Seing as the plow pump’s suction port and the pump is submerged in the tank , the only way it could entraine air Is if it ran empty.

Causes of Cavitation
Fluid velocity is inversely proportional to the size of the hydraulic line. Most pumps have a suction line that is larger than the pressure line. This is done to keep inlet velocity low, making it very easy for oil to enter the pump. Any blockage, such as a plugged suction strainer or filter, can cause the pump to cavitate. A contaminated suction strainer is the most common cause of cavitation, simply because it is hidden deep within the oil in the reservoir.

Again,
Aeration occurs whenever outside air enters the suction inlet of the pump.

Many maintenance technicians confuse cavitation and aeration. Although the two conditions have similar symptoms, their causes are entirely different.

Cavitation is the formation and collapse of air cavities in liquid. When hydraulic fluid is pumped from a reservoir .

The movement of the rotating elements—gears, in this case, but the same applies to pistons and vanes—causes a drop in pressure at the “SUCTION line”. The resulting pressure difference between the reservoir and the pump inlet causes the fluid to move from the higher pressure in the reservoir to the lower in pump’s
suction line.

https://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com...ear-difference
post #21 of 27 Old 02-04-2019, 09:23 AM

When a hydraulic pump operates, it performs two functions. First, its mechanical action creates a vacuum at the pump inlet which allows atmospheric pressure to force liquid from the reservoir into the inlet line to the pump. Second, its mechanical action delivers this liquid to the pump outlet and forces it into the hydraulic system.

https://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com...ydraulicPumpsM
post #22 of 27 Old 02-04-2019, 10:42 AM

You only use the manufacturers fluid
so you only buy fluids for your vehicles from the dealership the manufacturers fluid right?

Anyway

Mobile 13 verse mobile ATF +4

13 Cold pour .point -60į

+4 cold pour point -58į

I don’t think 2į is going to make or break you

Both have

High Viscosity index – wide operating temperature range Outstanding fluidity for low temperature start-ups, improved viscosity protection for pump components operating at both at low and high temperatures
Effective foam control and air release Rapid air release, which helps to protect components from cavitation, wear and excess heat
Outstanding oxidation stability Helps keep components clean and free from sludges and varnishes that reduce hydraulic efficiency and operating life. Can help to extend oil life and reduce maintenance requirements
Excellent protection against rust and corrosion
Potent Anti-Wear protection

The thing is this little pump inside there is the same in all these plows . There haven’t been improvements to this pump for the last 60 years or more.
Same as it ever was.

Some of the honest Plow manufacturers ones that don’t label a fluid or brand a fluid for sale will actually give you a wide selection of fluids to use in your snowplow.

You know these plow companies are not refining, blending or doing anything else with the hydraulic fluids they sell right.

They buy hydraulic fluid by the drum /tanker ,you know exactly the same fluid you can buy
by a different name. All they do is package it and brand it .there is nothing proprietary about their plow /hydraulic fluid.

The bottom line is not all of want to be price gouged for the manufactures fluid .
I can’t afford to spend the hour or two of my day chasing down some fluid for my plow .when I can go to the local gas station and get +4 , 24-7.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
You only use the manufacturers fluid
so you only buy fluids for your vehicles from the dealership the manufacturers fluid right?

Anyway

Mobile 13 verse mobile ATF +4

13 Cold pour .point -60į

+4 cold pour point -58į

I donít think 2į is going to make or break you

Both have

High Viscosity index Ė wide operating temperature range Outstanding fluidity for low temperature start-ups, improved viscosity protection for pump components operating at both at low and high temperatures
Effective foam control and air release Rapid air release, which helps to protect components from cavitation, wear and excess heat
Outstanding oxidation stability Helps keep components clean and free from sludges and varnishes that reduce hydraulic efficiency and operating life. Can help to extend oil life and reduce maintenance requirements
Excellent protection against rust and corrosion
Potent Anti-Wear protection

The thing is this little pump inside there is the same in all these plows . There havenít been improvements to this pump for the last 60 years or more.
Same as it ever was.

Some of the honest Plow manufacturers ones that donít label a fluid or brand a fluid for sale will actually give you a wide selection of fluids to use in your snowplow.

You know these plow companies are not refining, blending or doing anything else with the hydraulic fluids they sell right.

They buy hydraulic fluid by the drum /tanker ,you know exactly the same fluid you can buy
by a different name. All they do is package it and brand it .there is nothing proprietary about their plow /hydraulic fluid.

The bottom line is not all of want to be price gouged for the manufactures fluid .
I canít afford to spend the hour or two of my day chasing down some fluid for my plow .when I can go to the local gas station and get +4 , 24-7.
To be honest I use the fluids and coolants that meet the manufacturers requirements. So, that is what I do, You can do anything you want to. I just wouldnít advise anyone to use a fluid that isnít manufacturer approved.
post #24 of 27 Old 02-05-2019, 06:59 AM

City slicker.

You can educate yourself on fluids and oil’s by going to “Bob is the oil guy”
And go to “Lubes and greases” website
And get your free subscription to their magazine and educate yourself on where these fluids come from what they are and who makes them .
post #25 of 27 Old 02-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
City slicker.

You can educate yourself on fluids and oilís by going to ďBob is the oil guyĒ
And go to ďLubes and greasesĒ website
And get your free subscription to their magazine and educate yourself on where these fluids come from what they are and who makes them .
It Seems easy to me if the manual says use oil rated for x winter weight and y summer weight meeting requirements z for usage and environmental conditions q... what is there to argue about? Cross reference with manufacturers and you are done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode