Age of cable plow ??? - Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 Old 10-13-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Age of cable plow ???

First thanks for the tips given in my first post.I have been looking to see if there are any numbers on the pump or blade to tell me the model and year. I did not see anything on line in the places I looked. I think I can rule out the year 2019 year made
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 10-13-2019, 12:40 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxy007 View Post
First thanks for the tips given in my first post.I have been looking to see if there are any numbers on the pump or blade to tell me the model and year. I did not see anything on line in the places I looked. I think I can rule out the year 2019 year made
I think the 1970ís up to mid 1990ís the Western plows came with cable actuated valves... the manual I found for you was dated 1993...
post #3 of 69 Old 10-13-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again I will keep looking maybe see if I can get any info from western
post #4 of 69 Old 10-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks again I will keep looking maybe see if I can get any info from western
You are welcome... is this your first plow?
post #5 of 69 Old 10-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You have what is called a conventional plow. Cables stopped being used in the early 1990s.
post #6 of 69 Old 10-13-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

No not my first had Myers before on other trucks then just used quads for years.but my driver's about 400ft and after the snow last year I picked up this rig at a good price.its old but I new the guy that had it and he used it as a hunting/fishing/plow so it was maintained
post #7 of 69 Old 10-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
No not my first had Myers before on other trucks then just used quads for years.but my driver's about 400ft and after the snow last year I picked up this rig at a good price.its old but I new the guy that had it and he used it as a hunting/fishing/plow so it was maintained
Okay... I was just curious because this is old technology...
post #8 of 69 Old 10-14-2019, 05:29 AM

Garage
Sadly, Tuxy007 that one manual is all I could online for an Isarmatic Mark IIIa plow setup... that would be my guess as to what you have on your truck. Perhaps on EBay you can find other manuals once you get a serial number or model number.

So, how much snow do you get in your area?
post #9 of 69 Old 10-14-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I cannot remember how much we got last year.l do no that in some states they get a lot more than us and a lot at one time. I live in northern Ontario and our snow season is long. With the temp today we could get some snow but it would not stay. Also at my place I get blowing of the lake so sometimes it can really blow in
post #10 of 69 Old 10-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
I cannot remember how much we got last year.l do no that in some states they get a lot more than us and a lot at one time. I live in northern Ontario and our snow season is long. With the temp today we could get some snow but it would not stay. Also at my place I get blowing of the lake so sometimes it can really blow in
Okay, Canada I know your snow season is long. But I was asking because this is an old system so you might want to stockpiling some high wear parts.
post #11 of 69 Old 10-14-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

This would help .This unit does not have a lot of use on it I know it was only used on personal drives
post #12 of 69 Old 10-15-2019, 05:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
This would help .This unit does not have a lot of use on it I know it was only used on personal drives
I think you might want to get some spare bushings , cables and valves. Those would be the areas I think wear is most likely to occur. Not to mention that these parts probably arenít going to be over the counter items.
post #13 of 69 Old 10-15-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks forr the advise I will pick some up are u talking bushings on the Rams
post #14 of 69 Old 10-15-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks forr the advise I will pick some up are u talking bushings on the Rams
I figure the cables must have a bushing that locks into valve so you can operate it. Also the directions in the manual say use cable sealantó what that is exactly I donít know. But I would get some from a dealer too. Since you might need to replace or seal those cables as the season goes on.
post #15 of 69 Old 10-16-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again
post #16 of 69 Old 10-16-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks again
There ain't no bushings, where the cables go into your pump, there are O-rings on the cables. But put a little silicone around them to keep moisture out.
post #17 of 69 Old 10-16-2019, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
There ain't no bushings, where the cables go into your pump, there are O-rings on the cables. But put a little silicone around them to keep moisture out.
Nifty, they used o-rings to accomplish what I envisioned... so, you might want more o-rings and silicone.... thanks for the information.
post #18 of 69 Old 10-21-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Another question with my old cable plow. If I remove the motor do I lose the oil in the pump area. Is it going to spill all over.i want to change the oil and clean the filter. Also the drain plug Allen key is stripped on the drain in the bottom of the unit this is why I want to remove the motor with out draining the unit. I am going to take the unit of to free up the drain plug.any tips on re moving the motor and draining the oil. Thanks Tux
post #19 of 69 Old 10-21-2019, 05:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Another question with my old cable plow. If I remove the motor do I lose the oil in the pump area. Is it going to spill all over.i want to change the oil and clean the filter. Also the drain plug Allen key is stripped on the drain in the bottom of the unit this is why I want to remove the motor with out draining the unit. I am going to take the unit of to free up the drain plug.any tips on re moving the motor and draining the oil. Thanks Tux
From what I can see in the manual I linked you already it doesnít seem that removing the motor would cause the oil to leak out...

But. I am not really sure.
post #20 of 69 Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I just don't want to make a mess I have to clean up
post #21 of 69 Old 10-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks I just don't want to make a mess I have to clean up
I would try to get the drain plug out as well. I am curious how you get the pump out of the oil reservoir to change the filter...
http://www.storksplows.com/docs/wp-c...mount-pump.png
post #22 of 69 Old 10-22-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

From what I read after taking the motor of there are only 2 bolts to take of the pump to pull the pump out. I don't think you have to get the pump out to get the filter off.but it would be a good idea to clean around the pump.i saw a 3min vid on you tube on cleaning the filter I will try to find it. punch in " filter clean in a Western snow plow pump "on you tube it was the first one that came up was about 3mins long
post #23 of 69 Old 10-22-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
From what I read after taking the motor of there are only 2 bolts to take of the pump to pull the pump out. I don't think you have to get the pump out to get the filter off.but it would be a good idea to clean around the pump.i saw a 3min vid on you tube on cleaning the filter I will try to find it. punch in " filter clean in a Western snow plow pump "on you tube it was the first one that came up was about 3mins long
The reason I suggest changing that filter is because you donít know the age of the filter....
post #24 of 69 Old 10-22-2019, 05:52 PM

^ Why does the age of the filter mater?
Itís just a strainer.

Clean it with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner and replace.

Thereís really no need to remove the pump thereís nothing in there to get gummed up.

You can reach in and pull the filter out with two
Fingers,

As for the plug you could try using a chisel on the edge of it by a threadís and see if you can get it to rotate or drill it out and use a easy out.
post #25 of 69 Old 10-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
^ Why does the age of the filter mater?
Itís just a strainer.

Clean it with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner and replace.

Thereís really no need to remove the pump thereís nothing in there to get gummed up.

You can reach in and pull the filter out with two
Fingers,

As for the plug you could try using a chisel on the edge of it by a threadís and see if you can get it to rotate or drill it out and use a easy out.
The age is only a factor in the condition of the filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode