Old plow - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cwren2472
  • 1 Post By dieseldude
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 3
Old plow

Hello all
I have purchased an old plow and I am planning on mounting it on my old 06 Cherokee, just for personal use.
I am not able to identify the plow, a little help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020EAB31-43F1-41D4-8F79-890C319A6440_1567787714378.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	29884   Click image for larger version

Name:	3CB606A6-BEF6-49F7-9507-5B206C08EA94_1567787729734.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	29886   Click image for larger version

Name:	E575F7A8-00E5-47C2-A3AF-A213706816F4_1567787747849.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	29888  
Marty Mak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Mak View Post
Hello all
I have purchased an old plow and I am planning on mounting it on my old 06 Cherokee, just for personal use.
I am not able to identify the plow, a little help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Run. Run far, far away. Run fast.

Whoops, you already bought it? That sucks.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Mak View Post
Hello all
I have purchased an old plow and I am planning on mounting it on my old 06 Cherokee, just for personal use.
I am not able to identify the plow, a little help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ok, more seriously. Appears to be a Meyer conventional with an aftermarket monarch pump. Are you an experienced welder that can custom fabricate the mount needed to make that work on your Cherokee?
Knucklebusta likes this.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 10:11 AM
Member
 
dieseldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
Run. Run far, far away. Run fast.

Whoops, you already bought it? That sucks.
What brand plow is that??? I hope the OP didn't pay much for it. What ever he needs, he's gonna hafta make it.
dieseldude is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 10:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
What brand plow is that??? I hope the OP didn't pay much for it. What ever he needs, he's gonna hafta make it.
My guess was Meyer but really, figuring out the brand is the LEAST of his issues.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 10:22 AM
Member
 
dieseldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
My guess was Meyer but really, figuring out the brand is the LEAST of his issues.
Well I didn't want to throw him all the way under the bus just yet. On another note, is this where all the cool kids are hanging out????
dieseldude is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
Well I didn't want to throw him all the way under the bus just yet. On another note, is this where all the cool kids are hanging out????
No, this is: https://www.snowplowforums.com/forum...ve-lizard.html

Anarchy can be fun at times
cwren2472 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 01:58 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 1,058
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
No, this is: https://www.snowplowforums.com/forum...ve-lizard.html

Anarchy can be fun at times
Anarchy in the U.K....
WalterFGBS is online now  
post #9 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 03:02 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 1,058
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Mak View Post
Hello all
I have purchased an old plow and I am planning on mounting it on my old 06 Cherokee, just for personal use.
I am not able to identify the plow, a little help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I think you might want get a newer plow and sell this one as lawn art...
WalterFGBS is online now  
post #10 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 3
Hey guys
Thanks for the replies,
FYI. Payed about scrap metal value for the plow, no loss, It looked like a Frankenstein when I picked it up.
Still going to try to mount it on the old Jeep,
Hydrolocs and electronics work. I just need to figure out how to mount it on the vehicle.
Thanks
Mak
Marty Mak is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 07:43 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 1,058
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Mak View Post
Hey guys
Thanks for the replies,
FYI. Payed about scrap metal value for the plow, no loss, It looked like a Frankenstein when I picked it up.
Still going to try to mount it on the old Jeep,
Hydrolocs and electronics work. I just need to figure out how to mount it on the vehicle.
Thanks
Mak
Well, clearly it needs another hydraulic piston on the right side when standing from behind it.

Are you going to leave this plow on the truck at all times?
WalterFGBS is online now  
post #12 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 01:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Mak View Post
Hey guys
Thanks for the replies,
FYI. Payed about scrap metal value for the plow, no loss, It looked like a Frankenstein when I picked it up.
Still going to try to mount it on the old Jeep,
Hydrolocs and electronics work. I just need to figure out how to mount it on the vehicle.
Thanks
Mak
The "just need to figure out" part is no small job. As I mentioned earlier, everything will need to be custom fabricated by an experienced welder. If you aren't one, you are looking at a huge cost for something like that
cwren2472 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 3
Once the plow is on the truck, it is staying on This vehicle is only going to be used to plow my lot on Manitoulin. I do have the other piston and although I am not a welder, my brother is. I’ll let you know how it goes. It is possible it will become a boat anchor.
Marty Mak is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 05:53 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 1,058
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Mak View Post
Once the plow is on the truck, it is staying on This vehicle is only going to be used to plow my lot on Manitoulin. I do have the other piston and although I am not a welder, my brother is. I’ll let you know how it goes. It is possible it will become a boat anchor.
I would find some mounts for your year and model truck mount to the frame. Then you are going to have to do some measuring and figure out where you can attach the upright frame of the plow without hitting the bumper.

Materials you might be able to get away with using something like 3/8” plate AS36... I would go for a cold roll steel that is heat treated myself. You not looking for hardness but toughness because you want it flex and bend instead of being hard and brittle. Ideally. I would use 4140 chrome moly myself but it is costly and the vanadium to it and it is very tough without being brittle.
WalterFGBS is online now  
post #15 of 17 Old 09-08-2019, 03:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 232
Not to disagree with my esteemed colleague off on his chrome moly/vanadium tangent- but unfortunately there are very few applications for a cherokee period, so a used mount will likely be very hard to come by. If you are determined to do this (which I still dont recommend wasting your time/money/effort with), a front mount receiver hitch will probably be cheaper and easier to use as a starting point.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 09-08-2019, 04:17 AM
Member
 
dieseldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
Not to disagree with my esteemed colleague off on his chrome moly/vanadium tangent- but unfortunately there are very few applications for a cherokee period, so a used mount will likely be very hard to come by. If you are determined to do this (which I still dont recommend wasting your time/money/effort with), a front mount receiver hitch will probably be cheaper and easier to use as a starting point.
We have an 03 Cherokee. The frame is kinda tinny. Better off with a water heater plow.
cwren2472 likes this.
dieseldude is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 09-08-2019, 04:21 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 1,058
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
Not to disagree with my esteemed colleague off on his chrome moly/vanadium tangent- but unfortunately there are very few applications for a cherokee period, so a used mount will likely be very hard to come by. If you are determined to do this (which I still dont recommend wasting your time/money/effort with), a front mount receiver hitch will probably be cheaper and easier to use as a starting point.
4140v or 4340v is awesome material.... it wouldn’t break too easily the frame would break first... I would use an existing mount as a template to get an idea of hole locations and length and size.
WalterFGBS is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome