Snowplow Forums banner

Why automatic transmissions must be banned...

17K views 135 replies 6 participants last post by  WalterFGBS 
#1 ·
1) they make drivers weak
2) they reduce skill sets
3) they are for the weak

We need more social Darwinism.... do not coddle the weak.

#5 ·
As much as I enjoyed rowing gears.
I’ll take a well-built automatic transmission
For plowing snow everytime .

Automatic transmission is more advantageous than a manual is for plowing snow.

A skilled, operator will be more proficient with a automatic.

A fully hydrostatic transmission would be the cats meow .

#15 ·
No, how to control the vehicle by using the transmission to slow it down without using the service brakes or even an exhaust brake. Coming to a stoplight or stop street I barely touch my brakes. I just use the engine and the gearbox to slow me down. Most people get in an automatic just put into “D” and let the transmission do the work. That is fine but in poor conditions those are the drivers you see in the ditch. They hit the brakes too hard slide and skid around for their speed. Instead of using the engine and transmission to slow themselves enough so if they hit the brakes and slide a bit it manageable...

#16 ·
wrong, and your making generalities based on your assumptions.

The sudden change from down shifting a manual can make the vehicle spin out on slippery surfaces.

then the sudden release of the clutch is hard on the drive line, a automatic doesn't have this issue

downshifting a automatic is a smother than with a manual.

with or with out using the engine brake, I regularly down shift my automatic.
It's more fun with these 6 speed automatics and the sound from the engine-brake and the turbo spool'en is music.

this has more to do with someones driving style that one transmission being "superior" to the other.

#17 ·
It’s is called double clutching releases the torque on the transmission keeps the engine and the road speed correctly matched and makes for a smooth transition between gears. You can also do the same without a clutch of know the high rpm point and low rpm point and road speed matching points for each gear.

It does require practice.

#19 ·
That isn’t what double clutching does norm is that why you would double clutch,

Synchronized transmission does not require double clutching nor will double clutching the It do anything.

Regardless I now know Buy your last reply
you have very little experience driving on snowy, icy roads, on black ice or on a frozen lake .

I do.

The guy is giving a lecture on how do use a clutch
Experience comes from getting an old relic going 20 miles an hour. It doesn’t even have synchronizers.
It requires him to double clutch just the gears
Didn’t clash.

I don’t even have to climb the tree to go out on a limb for this next one

Kid, I was operating heavy machinery working on my uncle’s ranch driving tractors, trucks ,Bulldozer bobcat pick up truck , Drove the 18whleel’er hauling grain out of the field all before you were born .

The last thing I need from you is some nonsense about the function of the clutch

If I have to use the throttle to adjust my engine speed so my gears won’t clash when I double clutch I still need to release the clutch at some point or I’m just slowing down using the brakes.

#30 ·
So, we haven’t come to the best part of banning automatic transmissions— reduction in traffic— because people like you Snofarmer will not be driving anymore. It was clear from all your statements you suck at driving a manual gearbox and require the truck to drive itself.

#39 ·
No need to double clutch
From your link
http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&allowInterrupt=1&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=0&Rendition=Primary&&dDocName=RR_TRDR-0150
“Models in this series provide six forward speeds and one reverse, and are shifted as you would shift any synchronized manual transmission. Follow the simple 6-speed shift pattern.”

“Upshift
In the following instructions, it is assumed that the driver is familiar with operating heavy-duty trucks and tractors, and can coordinate the shift lever movement and clutch pedal to make smooth gear engagements while upshifting or downshifting.
1. Depress the clutch pedal, move the shift lever to next desired speed.
2. Release the clutch pedal.
3. Accelerate.
4. Continue upshifting.
Downshift
In the following instructions, it is assumed that the driver is familiar with operating heavy-duty trucks and tractors, and can coordinate the shift lever movement and clutch pedal to make smooth gear engagements while upshifting or downshifting.
Note: Although the transmission’s first gear is synchronized it is advised that a down- shift into first gear be completed at a very slow vehicle speed to prevent engine overspeed.
1. Always use the clutch when downshifting from gear to gear to prevent prema- ture synchronizer failure.
2. Depress the clutch pedal, move the shift lever to next desired speed.
3. Release the clutch pedal.
4. Slow vehicle.
5. Continue downshifting.

Yes they did give instructions on how to double clutch but no place did they say you ALWAYS have to they actually give instructions to the contrary.

#42 ·
..................................................:tango_face_angel:

No need to double clutch
From your link
http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/idcpl...As=0&Rendition=Primary&&dDocName=RR_TRDR-0150
“Models in this series provide six forward speeds and one reverse, and are shifted as you would shift any synchronized manual transmission. Follow the simple 6-speed shift pattern.”

“Upshift
1. Depress the clutch pedal, move the shift lever to next desired speed.
2. Release the clutch pedal.
3. Accelerate.
4. Continue upshifting.
Downshift
Note: Although the transmission’s first gear is synchronized it is advised that a down- shift into first gear be completed at a very slow vehicle speed to prevent engine overspeed.
1. Always use the clutch when downshifting from gear to gear to prevent prema- ture synchronizer failure.
2. Depress the clutch pedal, move the shift lever to next desired speed.
3. Release the clutch pedal.
4. Slow vehicle.
5. Continue downshifting.

Yes they did give instructions on how to double clutch but no place did they say you ALWAYS have to they actually give instructions to the contrary.

#41 ·
connor why do you and your gang of internet evangelicals feel the need to keep posting factious threads?
instead it being the self appointed saviors you disrupt.

you are the people who you want banned.

how many 300 ft drives are there?
why would someone who wore out 4 plows want the cheapest plow made?
and shovel out a 300ft drive with 30" of snow.....bs

why do they get more snow than what has ever fallen in there area.

crazy...

ps
I have a 4speed manual transmission with out synchro's and im skilled enough to be able to shift it with out double clutching it all of the time.

and again you are wrong the transmissions on your list DO NOT need to be double clutched. (see my above post)

#46 ·
I see you quoted me crwen247 that’s cool still doesn’t have anything to do with me the original poster. But if you think so tell Michael J. Donovan and see what happens. I have to be honest I have been waiting for you people to claim some person is a sock puppet of mine

#51 ·
Cornholeo suxum

What’s the name of your group of Internet avengers ?

I professional group like yours that is compiling terabyte after terabyte of useful information off of the Internet .
surely must have a business and a website
If so what is its name & where can I find out more.

Or did I hear that from one of your imaginary friends ?

#62 ·
No, I wasn’t kidding. If I had my way automatics would be illegal. Sure you can down shift an automatic but with only 4-6 gears and very large steps between gears the vehicle doesn’t slow down as easily. Automated shifting gearboxes are better but still I believe you want a driver with experience and intelligence operating the machine not the machine operating itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.