On a tight budget what to do? - Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

 27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 101 Old 07-21-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
On a tight budget what to do?

Letís play a hypothetical gameó you own a 3 mile dirt road with a series of elevation changes from the county road level where the termination point of the dirt road is 50ft below the county road and highest point is 100ft above the road level. The upward slope is 7.5% grade and the descending the grade is 15%. The location is near a lake with high levels of moist snow with lots of icing. However, since this a dirt road the hypothetical home owner only wants to use sand and no salt.

Problem: to add traction to the roadway the hypothetical person has been using hand sanding method.
Reason: budget for a new equipment is $1500 or less for sand spreader
Goal: reduce the sanding time
Dilemma: all the spreaders in my price range work best with salt. Salt will damage the roadway. Sand will provide the needed traction...

Solution?
WalterFGBS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 02:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 224
Here, $1000

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...935265231.html

Does say some TLC needed but it leaves plenty of your budget left and, hell, its July so you can probably get it for $500. And obviously we know you like a good project.

Too busy rebuilding a really old truck? No worries. Here is another option in your area

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...921089552.html

That one has only been used twice since rebuild. It is a bit over your budget at $2000, but again it's July so I'm sure there is some wiggle room there.

Kudos to having the foresight to look well before the season. Now is the time for bargains.

Of course, for $1500 you could just buy a used Walter and alleviate the need for sand since traction would no longer be an issue. And you'd probably have enough change to buy a Happy Meal on the very slow drive home. Maybe the toy inside will be a Bernie bobblehead.

That's ok, no need to thank me. I'm here to help.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #3 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 03:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 554
Hypothetically now we’re supposed to play your word games. ?

Get out of the basement let a little reality shine on your face .

Go buy a hypothetical truck with hypothetical traction.

What a moron does he really think this is a helpful contribution to the forum ?
Try baseing it in reality.

What a tool
SnoFarmer is offline  
post #4 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
What a moron does he really think this is a helpful contribution to the forum ?
Of course he doesn't. It was directed at me. It was an attempt at a private dig. Emphasis on "attempt."

Mind you, he rails endlessly about the inside jokes over at PS and how detrimental they are to the forum. Unless he is the one making them that is. Then, well, that's different.
SnoFarmer likes this.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #5 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 04:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
Of course he doesn't. It was directed at me. It was an attempt at a private dig. Emphasis on "attempt."

Mind you, he rails endlessly about the inside jokes over at PS and how detrimental they are to the forum. Unless he is the one making them that is. Then, well, that's different.
So his nonsense is an attempt to troll and
Harass the membership?
SnoFarmer is offline  
post #6 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 04:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
So his nonsense is an attempt to troll and
Harass the membership?
Yes. Yes, it is. I think someone had used the word "hypocrisy"?
SnoFarmer likes this.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #7 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
Here, $1000

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...935265231.html

Does say some TLC needed but it leaves plenty of your budget left and, hell, its July so you can probably get it for $500. And obviously we know you like a good project.

Too busy rebuilding a really old truck? No worries. Here is another option in your area

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...921089552.html

That one has only been used twice since rebuild. It is a bit over your budget at $2000, but again it's July so I'm sure there is some wiggle room there.

Kudos to having the foresight to look well before the season. Now is the time for bargains.

Of course, for $1500 you could just buy a used Walter and alleviate the need for sand since traction would no longer be an issue. And you'd probably have enough change to buy a Happy Meal on the very slow drive home. Maybe the toy inside will be a Bernie bobblehead.

That's ok, no need to thank me. I'm here to help.
those could all be good options. However, we all know if I were the person in this scenario it would be a 5-7yard sander for my Walter trucks. I am curious why you believe each person will knock 50% or more off the units? I would surmise even if it is July most people will only drop 35% off the sales price at best. Then you have the condition of each unit.

The more expensive one does seem better but since being-rebuilt and recently serviced are vague terms both in scope of work or in a temporal sense. The question is what was rebuilt when and what do you mean exactly by serviced? Did it get grease, new spark plugs or was it more major work?

Either way you presuppose that our hypothetical snow operator is mechanically inclined to much of this on his or her own or that any repairs will be rather minor in scope. Two assumptions I wouldn’t make.

So, let’s expand this scenario a bit more with some information about the hypothetical user of the sander. Let’s say his/her truck is a short box 2005 GMC 1500 series truck. Let’s say this person has no other means of loading said spreader but with a shovel. And let’s say they would prefer a tailgate sander?
WalterFGBS is offline  
post #8 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
Of course he doesn't. It was directed at me. It was an attempt at a private dig. Emphasis on "attempt."

Mind you, he rails endlessly about the inside jokes over at PS and how detrimental they are to the forum. Unless he is the one making them that is. Then, well, that's different.
Not a dig at all... I am curious if you will be consistent in your advice. That is really all and I want to see what other posters will come up with.

Again, you are misconstruing my statements I have nothing against inside jokes. I find it amusing that after a year you still think saying 100% traction or 4 point positive traction along with occasional Walter this is hysterical. A good design is a good design no matter what. The real people that continually started issues were people like you and few others.
WalterFGBS is offline  
post #9 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
those could all be good options. However, we all know if I were the person in this scenario it would be a 5-7yard sander for my Walter trucks. I am curious why you believe each person will knock 50% or more off the units? I would surmise even if it is July most people will only drop 35% off the sales price at best. Then you have the condition of each unit.
Since I make my living selling stuff like this, I know that anyone selling a fixer-upper (which is what TLC is code for) in July would likely be willing to move quite a bit if they actually got any sucker looking to buy. And since our budget is $1500, even at full pop, that leaves $500 for service. Anything less than the $1000 is even more money.

That is on the $1000 special. At no point did I suggest that someone would move 50% on the $2000 one, only that you only need to get closer to the hypothetical $1500 budget. Advanced math with my abacus from the other thread tells me that's only 25% needed, not 35%. And I'll assume that even if you couldn't get them down the full 25%, since it's July you have plenty of time to save your pennies and/or search for a better deal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
The more expensive one does seem better but since being-rebuilt and recently serviced are vague terms both in scope of work or in a temporal sense. The question is what was rebuilt when and what do you mean exactly by serviced? Did it get grease, new spark plugs or was it more major work?
Beats the hell out of me. I guess if this weren't all an exercise in time wasting and you actually were interested in either of them, then you would call the seller and find that stuff out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
Either way you presuppose that our hypothetical snow operator is mechanically inclined to much of this on his or her own or that any repair
s will be rather minor in scope. Two assumptions I wouldnít make.
No, you'd tell them to get tire chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
So, letís expand this scenario a bit more with some information about the hypothetical user of the sander. Letís say his/her truck is a short box 2005 GMC 1500 series truck. Letís say this person has no other means of loading said spreader but with a shovel. And letís say they would prefer a tailgate sander?
Thanks for the offer, but I'll take a hard pass on dragging this out any further.
SnoFarmer and Knucklebusta like this.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #10 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
I want to see what other posters will come up with.
Let me know how that works out for you.
SnoFarmer likes this.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #11 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 554
“Either way you presuppose that our hypothetical snow operator is mechanically inclined “

No , in my world he’s completely able to maintain his 14-year-old 1500 . .
But he realizes that his 1500 isn’t up to the task so he’s going to traded in on a new 2500 pick up or he’s going to hire it out .

He also has a weatherproof shed with climate control and was able to get sand ithat was completely dry so it didn’t freeze on him in the winter time.

Maybe he should just invest in vehicles they have traction control as they have 100% traction.

Troll'en, troll’en , troll’en
( Sung to the song “raw hide”
cwren2472 and Knucklebusta like this.
SnoFarmer is offline  
post #12 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
they have 100% traction.
Are you positive?
cwren2472 is offline  
post #13 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
Are you positive?
Only if theyíre going forward ,
if theyíre going backwards itís negative
cwren2472 likes this.
SnoFarmer is offline  
post #14 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
Hypothetically now weíre supposed to play your word games. ?

Get out of the basement let a little reality shine on your face .

Go buy a hypothetical truck with hypothetical traction.

What a moron does he really think this is a helpful contribution to the forum ?
Try baseing it in reality.

What a tool
Really none of this is based in reality?
WalterFGBS is offline  
post #15 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
Hypothetically now weíre supposed to play your word games. ?

Get out of the basement let a little reality shine on your face .

Go buy a hypothetical truck with hypothetical traction.

What a moron does he really think this is a helpful contribution to the forum ?
Try baseing it in reality.

What a tool
What isnít real about this scenario?
WalterFGBS is offline  
post #16 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
ďEither way you presuppose that our hypothetical snow operator is mechanically inclined ď

No , in my world heís completely able to maintain his 14-year-old 1500 . .
But he realizes that his 1500 isnít up to the task so heís going to traded in on a new 2500 pick up or heís going to hire it out .

He also has a weatherproof shed with climate control and was able to get sand ithat was completely dry so it didnít freeze on him in the winter time.

Maybe he should just invest in vehicles they have traction control as they have 100% traction.

Troll'en, trollíen , trollíen
( Sung to the song ďraw hideĒ
Well, this was based on a real world scenario and in it the operator only had 1500 series truck. He had no way to load his spreader and didnít have climate controlled sand storage. Or at least he never claimed to. All of this scenario with a few minor details are based on statements. They just arenít mine.

Actually this hypothetical could create interesting conversations about spreader tech and medium choices along cost effective solutions for storage and maintenance.
WalterFGBS is offline  
post #17 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 554
ĎReally ď



If donít know what the word hypothetical means maybe you should stop using it.
cwren2472 and Knucklebusta like this.
SnoFarmer is offline  
post #18 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
ĎReally ď



If donít know what the word hypothetical means maybe you should stop using it.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
- Inigo Mantoya
SnoFarmer likes this.
cwren2472 is offline  
post #19 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
ĎReally ď



If donít know what the word hypothetical means maybe you should stop using it.
The word is perfect for my scenario since it is a conjecture based on facts and can be tested.
WalterFGBS is offline  
post #20 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 06:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 554
From Cambridge the only definition of any word that’s factual, comes from Cambridge ....

Hypothetical
imagined or suggested but not necessarily real or true:

I’m just here to help ....
Knucklebusta likes this.
SnoFarmer is offline  
post #21 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
The word is perfect for my scenario since it is a conjecture based on facts and can be tested.

Again .
we really wish you would use your words correctly.

From Cambridge ,you know the authority on words.

Conjecture :an opinion or judgment that is not based on proof; a guess:


Helping one moron at a time...
SnoFarmer is offline  
post #22 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
From Cambridge the only definition of any word that’s factual, comes from Cambridge ....

Hypothetical
imagined or suggested but not necessarily real or true:

I’m just here to help ....
OED is Oxford... that was the source I used.

And how does my situation which is imagined but based on real facts not fit your difinition?
WalterFGBS is offline  
post #23 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
WalterFGBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains, NYS
Posts: 910
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwren2472 View Post
Since I make my living selling stuff like this, I know that anyone selling a fixer-upper (which is what TLC is code for) in July would likely be willing to move quite a bit if they actually got any sucker looking to buy. And since our budget is $1500, even at full pop, that leaves $500 for service. Anything less than the $1000 is even more money.

That is on the $1000 special. At no point did I suggest that someone would move 50% on the $2000 one, only that you only need to get closer to the hypothetical $1500 budget. Advanced math with my abacus from the other thread tells me that's only 25% needed, not 35%. And I'll assume that even if you couldn't get them down the full 25%, since it's July you have plenty of time to save your pennies and/or search for a better deal.




Beats the hell out of me. I guess if this weren't all an exercise in time wasting and you actually were interested in either of them, then you would call the seller and find that stuff out.



No, you'd tell them to get tire chains.



Thanks for the offer, but I'll take a hard pass on dragging this out any further.
The funny thing is you havenít spoken of these units capabilities with sand?
WalterFGBS is offline  
post #24 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 554
Fact:
Both Oxford and Cambridge Dictionary are two of the most popular dictionaries around the world. They are accredited and widely accepted even by academic institutions.

the basic difference between them is the fact that the Oxford Dictionary is published by the Oxford University Press, whereas the Cambridge Dictionary is published by the Cambridge University Press.

This helping stuff is fun
SnoFarmer is offline  
post #25 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 06:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
The funny thing is you haven’t spoken of these units capabilities with sand?
K. "They are gas engine full sized hopped spreaders. They can spread sand just fine." Satisfied?

If they couldn't spread sand, I wouldn't have suggested them. I kinda thought that was a given that anyone could have concluded, but I guess I forgot my audience.

I thought Snofarmer was just being mean with the whole "moron" thing, but now you are making me wonder.
SnoFarmer likes this.
cwren2472 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome