600' of gravel driveway - Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Question 600' of gravel driveway

I have 600 feet of gravel driveway at a 10-12% grade. There is quite a height rise over the length of the driveway, with a switchback corner, so one long stretch of the driveway has a steep drop-off on the side.

I live on the west coast of BC (think Pacific Northwest) so the snow is often heavy and wet. For the last two winters we've had a lot of snow and prolonged cold, and it's generally been dry snow. This is atypical, usually we get wet snow, and generally it melts after a few days. So there is no way to predict any more what type of snow we might get, how much, or how long it might last.

I would appreciate any insight/suggestions regarding the best way to remove snow from a very long gravel driveway. Snowblower?

Because of the steep side/drop along a significant stretch of the driveway, adding a plow to a one-ton truck seems kind of risky if the vehicle slides and goes over the edge (the drop would be a fatal wreck). So we've considered getting a side-by-side and adding a plow. We just don't know.

And would spraying a brine be better than ice melter salt?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 12-04-2018, 09:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
I have 600 feet of gravel driveway at a 10-12% grade. There is quite a height rise over the length of the driveway, with a switchback corner, so one long stretch of the driveway has a steep drop-off on the side.

I live on the west coast of BC (think Pacific Northwest) so the snow is often heavy and wet. For the last two winters we've had a lot of snow and prolonged cold, and it's generally been dry snow. This is atypical, usually we get wet snow, and generally it melts after a few days. So there is no way to predict any more what type of snow we might get, how much, or how long it might last.

I would appreciate any insight/suggestions regarding the best way to remove snow from a very long gravel driveway. Snowblower?

Because of the steep side/drop along a significant stretch of the driveway, adding a plow to a one-ton truck seems kind of risky if the vehicle slides and goes over the edge (the drop would be a fatal wreck). So we've considered getting a side-by-side and adding a plow. We just don't know.

And would spraying a brine be better than ice melter salt?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Snowblowers will work but be time consuming. Obviously, the snowblower cannot be attached easily to a full sized vehicle. They do make some but they arenít so great. Unless you get a Mercedes Unimog or Oshkosh style blower truck. And I donít think they make them for UTVís without a front PTO. So, if you like the snowblower option you might want a tractor. But again on most utility tractors you max out at 7í 6Ē or so in width. The snowblowers will be similar in size. Which means multiple passes and very slow times. But Bercomac makes one for an UTV that is 72 inches wide. So, it is doable.

I am not sure why a side-by-side is in your opinion better than a 1-ton Truck other then itís size. But you have to remember your options with the Side-by-side be it a plow or snowblower will correspondingly smaller than a 1-ton truck. So, if sliding is an issue remember you will have to do multiple passes to clear the road remember if you have a 6í plow you get only about 5í of clearing at full angle on you UTV. So, that might cause you to get closer to the edge as well. A bigger truck with a bigger plow can clear more at a time. Which means keeping your vehicle in the center of the driveway.

http://bercomac.com/en/product/vantage-72-snowblower/

Of course you 1-ton truck could be fitted with a 9í 6Ē plow. That would probably clean the road in one pass. But if you arenít comfortable with the size of the vehicle that will be a problem.

As for sliding I would get a set of Pewag chains for the front and rear. You will greatly improve your traction.

I think brine is a bit overkill and a decent sander spreading a mix of salt and sand is your best bet.

Do you have a picture of the driveway?
post #3 of 67 Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 AM

Hey,

First off It,s never a good idea to use salt or brine on a gravel drive as it makes mud and a soft spot for your plow to dig in, sand or cinders are a better idea, or use the ash from the wood stove.

A UTV might work if your willing to go out and clear the drive every 4-5" of snow 24/7 and you will need to drive right on the edge to get rid of the snow. If your away and it snows the utv will be worthless in a heavy snow event. Plus the utv can just as easily slip over the edge with the same results, you would be safer in a truck.

The 1ton is a better option, get a set of tire chains for all 4 tires and a 9-10ft V plow. add 800lb of counterweight/ballast . for traction.

Use some markers to mark the edge of the drive as its easy for a false edge to form as you push snow over the edge.
newtoplowing likes this.
post #4 of 67 Old 12-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoFarmer View Post
Hey,

First off It,s never a good idea to use salt or brine on a gravel drive as it makes mud and a soft spot for your plow to dig in, sand or cinders are a better idea, or use the ash from the wood stove.

A UTV might work if your willing to go out and clear the drive every 4-5" of snow 24/7 and you will need to drive right on the edge to get rid of the snow. If your away and it snows the utv will be worthless in a heavy snow event. Plus the utv can just as easily slip over the edge with the same results, you would be safer in a truck.

The 1ton is a better option, get a set of tire chains for all 4 tires and a 9-10ft V plow. add 800lb of counterweight/ballast . for traction.

Use some markers to mark the edge of the drive as its easy for a false edge to form as you push snow over the edge.
So, what happened to letís plow .com?
post #5 of 67 Old 12-05-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Hey,

What this guys says.
Pa Teeny likes this.
post #6 of 67 Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Hey,

A better solution a truck with a wing... then you can keep the truck centered in the driveway and leave the wing to clean up the edge by the side with drop off.
post #7 of 67 Old 12-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Garage
Rebecca,

Pictures would help with advice. I am trying to picture your precipice clinging driveway and I wonder where you plan on pushing the snow or blowing it.

https://autoline.info/-/snowblowers/...14254371035700

Here you go a great snow blowing option.
post #8 of 67 Old 12-12-2018, 06:01 AM

Garage
So, any solution?
post #9 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 07:12 AM

Great idea, go buy a unimog unseen from Germany, shipping and titling will cost as much as the rig.....

If they act now it might be there by spring.....

Where are they going to push the snow?
There going to push it all to the high side of the road.
I bet, there smart enough to let it go over the low side.
Its not rocket-sicence.

OP, How are your neighbors dealing with the snow?
can you hire them to clear your road when you need it?
newtoplowing likes this.
post #10 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 07:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Great idea, go buy a unimog unseen from Germany, shipping and titling will cost as much as the rig.....

If they act now it might be there by spring.....

Where are they going to push the snow?
There going to push it all to the high side of the road.
I bet, there smart enough to let it go over the low side.
Its not rocket-sicence.

OP, How are your neighbors dealing with the snow?
can you hire them to clear your road when you need it?
Actually, importing doesnít take that long. Wasnít exactly my point buy a truck from Germany but an example of a better snowblower operation.

Since none of us have seen the drive how do you know any of their plans at all.? For all we know it could look like the la Paz death road...

Hiring the neighbors might not be an option...
post #11 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 08:33 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Send a message via AIM to Mark Oomkes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterFGBS View Post
Actually, importing doesnít take that long. Wasnít exactly my point buy a truck from Germany but an example of a better snowblower operation.

Since none of us have seen the drive how do you know any of their plans at all.? For all we know it could look like the la Paz death road...

The only point you have is on your head.
post #12 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Actually, importing doesn’t take that long. Wasn’t exactly my point buy a truck from Germany but an example of a better snowblower operation.

If the road was that bad how did the building materials to build the home ever get up the road?

Importing and titling doesn't take that long..lololol. Have you gone threw the process.
You do know their not going to send it by first class air mail...
First you have to pay for it then get it transported to the port, and book its passage.

As your doing that you have to register a foreign registered vehicle, car or motorcycle in the United States (U.S.) you must be able to prove that you or someone else filed an entry with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will not register a vehicle that has been imported into the U.S. without proof that an entry was filed with CBP and proof that the vehicle conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards.

Most of them are not compliant, they will need to comply as they differ from models sold in the U.S.
It is illegal to sell an imported vehicle that has not been formally entered, and it is subject to seizure.

When filing an entry with CBP for your vehicle, you must be able to demonstrate to CBP that you own the vehicle and it conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. You have to submit proof of ownership such as a certificate of title, bill of sale, or manufacturer statement of origin to a CBP Officer at the port.

You also have to submit the Department of Transportation (DOT) Form HS-7, and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form 3520-1. Keep a copy of these forms just in case the DMV wants a copy of them.

Once you have officially filed your entry and paid duty on the vehicle, you will receive CBP Form 7501 Entry Summary. This form is your proof that you filed your entry with CBP

kyyy, why not find a example of said vichel that is located in the Northwest?
Its just nonsense to suggest a vehicle that is off shore.

.hiring it out might be a valid option , as you say," how do you know any of their plans at all.?"
post #13 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
If the road was that bad how did the building materials to build the home ever get up the road?

Importing and titling doesn't take that long..lololol. Have you gone threw the process.
You do know their not going to send it by first class air mail...
First you have to pay for it then get it transported to the port, and book its passage.

As your doing that you have to register a foreign registered vehicle, car or motorcycle in the United States (U.S.) you must be able to prove that you or someone else filed an entry with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will not register a vehicle that has been imported into the U.S. without proof that an entry was filed with CBP and proof that the vehicle conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards.

Most of them are not compliant, they will need to comply as they differ from models sold in the U.S.
It is illegal to sell an imported vehicle that has not been formally entered, and it is subject to seizure.

When filing an entry with CBP for your vehicle, you must be able to demonstrate to CBP that you own the vehicle and it conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. You have to submit proof of ownership such as a certificate of title, bill of sale, or manufacturer statement of origin to a CBP Officer at the port.

You also have to submit the Department of Transportation (DOT) Form HS-7, and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form 3520-1. Keep a copy of these forms just in case the DMV wants a copy of them.

Once you have officially filed your entry and paid duty on the vehicle, you will receive CBP Form 7501 Entry Summary. This form is your proof that you filed your entry with CBP

kyyy, why not find a example of said vichel that is located in the Northwest?
Its just nonsense to suggest a vehicle that is off shore.

.hiring it out might be a valid option , as you say," how do you know any of their plans at all.?"
They are in Canada...
post #14 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
They are in Canada...
yes, they are in the NORTH WEST.

from the OP " west coast of BC (think Pacific Northwest)"as i stated.

so, go find them a rig that is in Canada then.....
post #15 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
yes, they are in the NORTH WEST.

from the OP " west coast of BC (think Pacific Northwest)"as i stated.

so, go find them a rig that is in Canada then.....
Your comments are rather silly, since , you posted all the requirements for importing a vehicle into the US. However, Unimogs are pretty accessible in Canada. And you donít have to do too much to get one into a country if you import it as a farm tool usually.

But, letís not get focused on the location of the vehicle. The point is if you want a blower truck get something like a Unimog or a pretty big tractor since you will want it to handle all sorts of snow condition. End of story.

As for the driveway they make it sound dangerous. So, I am curious as to the design of the driveway.
post #16 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Silly me, as Canada is a land that is void of laws, regulations or taxes.

"end of story "

Yea, ya can, just as if by majic your property can become a " farm"
What color is the sky in your world, full of rainbows and unicorns.

" farm tool"...?.. I'll refrain from swing at that tater....
Do you mean AG equipment, anyone can buy AG tractors, and they will cost you as much as they wood if ya owned a farm.

"But, let’s not get focused on the location of the vehicle. The point is if you want a blower truck get something like a Unimog or a pretty big tractor since you will want it to handle all sorts of snow condition. End of story.

Ho let's ,,, prove it.^
Why the need for it when she states, the snow melts in a few days anyway...

Honestly, I think it's a nonissue, get the side by side or use the truck.
Just driving up and down it cuppled with the mild weather it will take care of itsself as long as it gets some sun.

And you think they have unlimited funds? Where did this idea come from?

I'm sure it could be narrow drive with a steep drop off, but you sound like a stalker wanting pics.

Pics are great, but it must not be mush of a issue as she hasn't come back.
post #17 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 11:03 AM

Question, have you ever operated any large equipment mounted snow blowers on steep rockey drives?

Snowblowers love sucking up rocks or logs.

Also a larger vehicel doesn't leave you much room to slip around.
Not everyone needs a big truck that will just sit for 300 days of the year or 365 days a year like yours do.

Does the op have the skills to maintain or trouble shoot it?

Untill we find out we have to operate in the realm of the options given.
post #18 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 11:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Silly me, as Canada is a land that is void of laws, regulations or taxes.

"end of story "

Yea, ya can, just as if by majic your property can become a " farm"
What color is the sky in your world, full of rainbows and unicorns.

" farm tool"...?.. I'll refrain from swing at that tater....
Do you mean AG equipment, anyone can buy AG tractors, and they will cost you as much as they wood if ya owned a farm.

"But, letís not get focused on the location of the vehicle. The point is if you want a blower truck get something like a Unimog or a pretty big tractor since you will want it to handle all sorts of snow condition. End of story.

Ho let's ,,, prove it.^

And you think they have unlimited funds? Where did this idea come from?

I'm sure it could be narrow drive with a steep drop off, but you sound like a stalker wanting pics.

Pics are great, but it must not be mush of a issue as she hasn't come back.
It is silly to think US Law applies to Canada.

Letís see a new UTV is what about $34k set up how they need it. So, perhaps the used Unimog at $15,000 is a steal.

I guess you have physic powers and can remote view this driveway. I myself find pictures are helpful.
post #19 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It is silly to think US Law applies to Canada.

Let’s see a new UTV is what about $34k set up how they need it. So, perhaps the used Unimog at $15,000 is a steal.

I guess you have physic powers and can remote view this driveway. I myself find pictures are helpful.
It's even sillier to you think they don't have laws similar to ours or ones that are even more restrictive.
As Canada seems to follow suit quickly behind the US.
What do you have to do to just bring in a car or truck into Canada ? Just drive it across the border?
Ya think they may tax it And or have fees, or what have you, or no?

Again, options given a 1 ton truck or a side by side not some UTV..

I bet,,,,this was all about Rebecca trying to convince her parents that a side-by-side would be a better option and safer option as she doesn't want to drive the old one Ton truck around and they could use the side-by-side in the summer.

And we're still waiting on you to show your proof.
post #20 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
It's even sillier to you think they don't have laws similar to ours or ones that are even more restrictive.
As Canada seems to follow suit quickly behind the US.
What do you have to do to just bring in a car or truck into Canada ? Just drive it across the border?
Ya think they may tax it And or have fees, or what have you, or no?

Again, options given a 1 ton truck or a side by side not some UTV..

I bet,,,,this was all about Rebecca trying to convince her parents that a side-by-side would be a better option and safer option as she doesn't want to drive the old one Ton truck around and they could use the side-by-side in the summer.

And we're still waiting on you to show your proof.
Proof of what?
post #21 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Send a message via AIM to Mark Oomkes
Quote:
Question, have you ever operated any large equipment mounted snow blowers on steep rockey drives?

Snowblowers love sucking up rocks or logs.

Also a larger vehicel doesn't leave you much room to slip around.
Not everyone needs a big truck that will just sit for 300 days of the year or 365 days a year like yours do.

Does the op have the skills to maintain or trouble shoot it?

Untill we find out we have to operate in the realm of the options given.
More like...they sit for 364 days a year because he's changing out fuel filters because he buys crap fuel. Or forgot to put his blankie on the fuel tanks.
post #22 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoplowing View Post
More like...they sit for 364 days a year because he's changing out fuel filters because he buys crap fuel. Or forgot to put his blankie on the fuel tanks.
Is that you Mark?
post #23 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Proof of what?
What you said, a few posts up
I quoted you and asked for proof.
In the next post

You do the leg work...
post #24 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 01:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
What you said, a few posts up
I quoted you and asked for proof.
In the next post

You do the leg work...
She actually said it has been drier and staying longer. This was in direct comparison to older pattern of wetter snow and warmer weather. Either way if you a vehicle that can handle 5Ē of Super wet snow or 30Ē of lighter fluff snow. We get both in a noríeaster we might get 30Ē or so in one storm and it might be dry or rather wet. Now you cannot blow easily 30Ē of decently wet snow all that easily.

Proof of Unimogs in Canada or what?
post #25 of 67 Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
. I myself find pictures are helpful.
Really? So when actual real non stock fotos of your so called
"Fleet" are asked for and you fold....why would you make a statement like that? Troll
SnoFarmer and newtoplowing like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode