Boss Trip-Edge Plow - Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Boss Trip-Edge Plow

Has anyone used a Boss trip-edge plow for plowing roads for municipalities ? How did it hold up & were there any complaints ?

I ask because my Buddy I'll be plowing for this year just got a 9' Boos Trip-Edge plow installed on his 97' F-450..It looks like a real rugged unit, I just have zero experience with a Boss Plow....I do have to say I like the joy stick control a lot better than Fisher's...I'm old school I like the joy stick oppose to the hand controller, I think it would be a real bitch to try & shift the truck & screw with the hand controller...The truck has the Big-Block 460 & 5 speed manual tranny in it...Now PRAY for SNOW...I can't wait
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Im shure you will love the Boss setup,most who use them once swear by them.Looks like the day after Christmas will be the first big one of the season.Is that a new or used Boss thats getting installed?
post #3 of 14 Old 12-24-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

New/Used, The guy he bought it from got it last year & plowed one season with it & gave up plowing ....I think he was one of them guy's who have more money then brains & wanted to try plowing but didn't like the long hours & early get-up's....

I can't wait to try it out on the roads...It's gonna feel kinda weird plowing in a small truck again

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

post #4 of 14 Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well evidently no one uses trip-edge Boss plows....All I can say is I love them, everything about it, the quick hydraulics to the bright plow lights to the ease of mounting & dismounting...The trip edge is real smooth but doesn't trip too easy which is nice...Overall very pleased with this combo between the old school F-450 & the Boss...At the end of the storm I plowed my parents driveway with a healthy 16" of fairly heavy snow & about 3'-4' drifts & the truck was a tank...
post #5 of 14 Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 PM

I use an 8' trip edge to plow a 13 mile route of roads in Salem, NH and I have been doing it with the same plow for the last 3 years and other then changing the fluid and going through cutting edges like water the plow holds up great I have the joy stick and you would be suprised how easy it is to drive and talk on the phone and use the controls and shift all at the same time.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with 8' BOSS Plow
post #6 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 AM

If your going through cutting edges quickly you can get carbide added to slow that way down.There are some nice carbide curbguards out now I forget the name,perhaps someone will chime in with the link.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1N1TRK View Post
I use an 8' trip edge to plow a 13 mile route of roads in Salem, NH and I have been doing it with the same plow for the last 3 years and other then changing the fluid and going through cutting edges like water the plow holds up great I have the joy stick and you would be suprised how easy it is to drive and talk on the phone and use the controls and shift all at the same time.
Good to see someone else plows roads...It's funny you said the cutting edges burn through easily because I put about a little over 200 miles on from the last big storm & the edge looks like it will need to be replaced probally after the next decent sized storm...I like driving the manual tranny It's easier than a quad box Mack that I started in when I was 18
post #8 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM

I have a Boss 9.2 VPlow (older style) with Joystick I have had litterly no issues with this company. We have owned this unit for 10 years and love it.
This is a was my first and only plow that i've ever used Great company would never purchase any other companies snow machinery. I can just imagine how well some of there newer invations must work.
Most other manufactures have also started to offer V Plows in the last 10 years or so, but they all have seemed to somewhat copy Boss
Great company
post #9 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Send a message via AIM to JohnnyU
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac5058 View Post
If your going through cutting edges quickly you can get carbide added to slow that way down.There are some nice carbide curbguards out now I forget the name,perhaps someone will chime in with the link.
http://www.winterequipment.com/winter/index.htm

-John

2008 Chevy TBSS -LS2 6.0, AWD, Not a winter vehicle...
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD -Blizzard 810PP, SnowEx 575 SOLD
2003 Chevy 2500HD D/A -Western 7'6" UniMount
1991 Chevy Silverado 4x4 - Summer toy-3-linked Dana 60, 14FF, 38.5x11 Boggers SOLD
post #10 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM

My uncle has an 8' Boss trid edge and he loves it. There was a guy that used to plow the roads in my town and he used a 9' Boss trip edge and it seamed to holed up pretty good. The Boss trip edge is the best strait blade on the market IMO.

1995 Ford L9000 Wheeler Everest 11' Plow & 11' Wing Down Easter Hopper Spreader
2012 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior 8' HD Fisher

post #11 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Pelican
Guys, I plowed roads for 12 years and had trouble burning up edges, 1 per storm. I switched to Polar Edge polyurethane edges and got a full season from one. You have to pre-treat with salt to avoid hard pack, but if you do they will clean every bit as well as steel
post #12 of 14 Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercer_me View Post
My uncle has an 8' Boss trid edge and he loves it. There was a guy that used to plow the roads in my town and he used a 9' Boss trip edge and it seamed to holed up pretty good. The Boss trip edge is the best strait blade on the market IMO.
I think the Boss trip edge is a stronger blade vs the Fisher HD plows, heavier to. I have a 5 year old Fisher 8'6 HD straight blade that's seen very little use. It seems a lot lighter than the old Fisher 8' speedcast that was on the old truck.

I own a 4 year old Boss 8'2 poly V that's never been broke down, but I'd rather have a trip edge V over a full trip.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Ok so to reply back on the burn through of the cutting edges of the boss plow I got a hold of the local boss dealer and asked if the make a carbide edge for this plow or if they know of a dealer that could get one, and they said no they didnt but it you run a double edge that it will significantly increase the life of the edge? I just went and mounted 2 edges on the bottom of my plow so im crossing my fingers that it will work out.

You may be able to go throught the website that was posted on this but the edges are set up for their plows? not sure if the punched out holes will be the same you may need to make a phone call to check

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD with 8' BOSS Plow
post #14 of 14 Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhighsierra View Post
I think the Boss trip edge is a stronger blade vs the Fisher HD plows, heavier to. I have a 5 year old Fisher 8'6 HD straight blade that's seen very little use. It seems a lot lighter than the old Fisher 8' speedcast that was on the old truck.
I think so to. I'm not saying Fisher is a bad plow but, The Boss trip edge is a very rugged plow. It's more rugged than the Fisher HD IMO.

1995 Ford L9000 Wheeler Everest 11' Plow & 11' Wing Down Easter Hopper Spreader
2012 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior 8' HD Fisher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode