Snowplow Forums banner

how old is too old for front line duty?

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  John DiMartino 
#1 ·
Im now looking the cheap route and wondering how old do you consider too old for a front line truck? Ive found an 1985 ford 350 with 38k on it. Im going to have a mechanic look at it but for a few grand, it sure looks appealing.

#2 ·
Depends on a few things. First of all, are you a "mechanic". No doubt you'll have issues that will need fixing. A thorough going over the truck will help, but you simply cannot replace everything that might fail. Lose a heater blower, wiper motor, alternator, starter, distributor, etc, just about as bad as losing a transmission. Of course these things can fail on newer trucks too.

This is one of how many trucks? If you have a bunch of trucks, and just need to lighten the load all the way around, it would definitely be fine.

Truthfully, I would think you could find something much newer for "a few grand"

Also, my experience with older low mileage vehicles is that something always needs fixing, and seals/gaskets can be a problem. Radiators/heater cores. Easy stuff like valve covers is easy. Rear mains and transmission front mains are a different story.

#4 ·
I'm pondering this very question myself and making decisions about staying in business or getting the hell out and believe me its the hardest moment of my life.
Problem with older trucks is all the little stuff-old hoses, seals, gaskets, all the little crap thats old and brittle that is what goes when you really need the truck up and running.

#5 ·
I have built my business using a fleet of trucks that averages 15 years old. Remember old does not mean worn out. I have passed many new trucks sitting on the roadside during a storm in my 16 y/o plow truck.

#6 ·
How true that is about age...
Jason if the truck is in good mechanical condition it really doesn't matter.
Remember my newest truck is a "93" my oldest was the "82" that was retired. this year
And even then it still is working just as parts on a few other trucks..

:rolleyes: John...

#7 ·
This is and always will be a broken record for me my best trucks i had has main liners were older . I have the 86 Ford F250 i bought for 800 bucks in 99 didnt have a good panel on it but it did have a Western 8ft cable drive, and 67k miles.

I torn it down rebuilt the cab dropped a 97 box on it exact fix Btw, and painted it my brother Steve would get it when we split up i bought it back after he died from his wife more so for the memorys but that truck never let me down during the worst storms we pushed.

My 85 Chevy 1 ton stake bed 4x4 looks like brand new has a crate engine in it and i would trust it more so than anything i have right now.

Now i have watched the trans blow a hole the size of a 1lb coffee can out the side of a 04 F350 6.0 torqe **** with 1100 miles on it. Lost 4x4 i dont know how many times on the supers i bought with Shift on the fly and the siezed hubs that were suppose to be overrides failed non were out of warr when this happened. I can keep going my 03 Service truck that plowed blew a hole in the hood when the turbo decided to head due north while plowing a wet heavy storm it had a whopping 16k miles on it.

If for one min someone feels all cozy because there running a new rig i would think twice ya you have warr to cover the cost but your gonna wait til the dealer gets it in and fixed.

The older Fords can have TTB issues however i have never seen any of the 4 i own crack one and if they would have James Duff sells Titanum replacements for way cheaper than a new truck.

Iam out of the snow buss but ill tell you looking back on the 18yrs i did it the most profitable years were running my older fleet, you can doll up a older truck to look decent at 2am or 4pm cheap.

#8 ·
I'm rebuilding the 81 in my sig this summer. Don't tell my wife, but I plan to build a "twin" next summer.

Just the little bit of plowing I did with the 81 last winter, I knew it is twice the plow truck my 97 is. Doing a body off rebuild, and building up some spare parts too. I have two TH350 trans, a spare 205, and a bunch of sheet metal too. I keep an eye on Craigslist and Uncle Henrys for somebody selling a truck for "parts". Maybe I'll get lucky and find a rusted out K30 with D60 and 14FF for a couple hundred bucks.

If I can have two mid 80s trucks, TBI, 3/4 - one ton, I will be styling. The 97 would become the backup at that point.

#11 ·
You can do a lot of repairs to an old truck for just one monthly payment of a newer truck.

My favorite truck was a 1994 F-350 with the old IDI diesel. I kept having to throw money at it to keep it going. Not much, just $50-100 a month. I got really tired of it and bought my 2002 F-350. I have had very few repairs but I have a HUGE payment every month. Probably the worst financial decision I have made so far.

Plus, like others have said, if an older truck breaks the repairs are usually much simpler, easier and less expensive to fix.

#12 ·
I like a shiny new truck with all the trimmings. Never fails to cause a problem at the worst possible moment and you have to wait for parts because they don't have em in the supply chain yet.

I still miss the 84 F150 with the straight 6 and auto trans I sold when I got the 99 Super Duty. Other than the fact that it really needed a new motor at 300+k on the Odometer it was a solid runner.

The Super Duty is great if you don't mind that at it's age and mileage going north of 265K it's got a few minor bugs. Most days it starts, if it does it will do what I want without complaints cept for the 12K on the trailer with a load on the truck days. Those days it wants for a Diesel.

Honestly I get questions about this on a daily basis. Trucks like plows are subject to age, wear and abuse.

YOU have to look at it from the standpoint of total cost to operate and total return on investment.

I would honestly rather have a truck and plow that had been in service and issues noted and repaired vs a new plow and truck any day.

That new truck and plow feel is great and normally you don't have problems with them. Personally I don't need that warm and fuzzy feeling that happens when you have to make the monthly payment though.

I've seen and serviced some 10, 15 and even 20 yr old trucks on a regular basis that are still daily drivers and plowers that are paid off and just making money now.

Just last week I took in a 97 F350 with an 8' Fisher on it. Guy wanted $800 for the truck and $1200 for the plow. Plow needed some minor welding, a cutting edge and a head light and paint job. It's ready to go. Truck needed a Muffler, cat convert, manifolds on the engine and some bondo. It was one owner with 67K on it. Guy that bought it is smiling, 1200-1300 and some labor and he's up and running. He's swapping a used speed wing from a half ton for a used 810 for it. Guy that sold it replaced it with a 2007 F250 and a payment.

JMO

Jerre

#15 ·
Age isnt as important as condition. Dents,and engine/trans/rear issues are easy to deal with IMO cab mount rot,heavy frame rust,and corrosion are the real enemys here.The road salt just kills older trucks.Personally my ideal truck is an older truck out of texas or any part of the south that hasnt seen road salt or beach use.I could care less about the miles,just need a solid body/frame/chassis,the rest i can deal with .Newer trucks have a ton of wiring,and electronics that get finicky as they get older,Can-bus issues on 98 and newer Dodge trucks,makes me want a 97 and older,The HUEI Ford PSD makes me want a 6.9-7.3 IDI diesel,GMs 94 and newer 6.5s electronic issues,make me want an old 6.2 or 91-93 6.5.
Its the old stuff that is easy to keep going compared to newer,although the old trucks sometimes drive poor,have high NVH levels,and have much less power (in most cases) than newer trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.