Window Tinting - Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MDsnowPRO
Window Tinting

I am almost scared to post this thread. I would like to get the windows tinted on one or both of my trucks. I know this will created problems when seeing out at night. I would like to know if any of you have tinting and if so what % it is. Im thinking im gonna get 35%on them but some people have told me to get 20%, but i feel this will be too dark. Anywaydon't chew me out to bad Thanks for the in-put
-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 01:28 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Send a message via AIM to jt5019
I had pretty dark tints on my truck and i didnt think it was any big problem,i could still see.I do have to say i just recently took the tint off my back window and was amazed how clear it was. its your choice just dont go crazy and get the limo tints

Eastern Lawn Care LLC
post #3 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 02:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Assured Services
Thumbs down Tint

If it was mine I wouldn't tint the windows, limits visibility as you already said your self. I guess I like a clear sight when backing. To me some nights it's hard enough to see with wind blown snow comming down, let alone having darker glass to see thru.
Clearer the better to see those yahoo of drivers that don't know where to go when they see a plow truck going in reverse in comercial lots.
post #4 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 02:47 PM

I have 35% on my F350 and I don't find it a hinderance at all. My farther's F350 has what I think is 20% tint and it's too dark for my tastes but it is easily removable if you really don't like it.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 03:13 PM

Ive got a slight tint on my truck and it is not too big of a problem. Just make sure you have a couple of bright auxilary backup lights to help you see.

Chris van der Molen

1989 743 Bobcat
post #6 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 04:08 PM

I never wanted to have tinted windows in my plow truck but last winter I smashed my rear slider. I ended up with a tinted slider because it was about $150 cheaper. I'm not sure what % tint it is but it is much darker than the factory one. I don't notice much difference when working at night.

Ray
post #7 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 PM

I have the factory tinted back window but no tint on the sides I just feel it will be to dark for my taste.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long
after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

2005 Ford F-350 6.0L diesel ,Patriot light bar
1997 chevy K2500 6.5L diesel (sold)
1997 Case 580L , 2004 Gehl 4640
2000 Chevy 3500 van
1995 Ford E350 15' cube van 7.3L diesel
post #8 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 04:54 PM

GOTTA HAVE IT!!!

I get headaches with bright sun, so when I went to college in FL, I tried out window tint. I had 27% (FL limit) installed in what became my plow truck when I got home, and it didn't bother me much. When I got my new truck, here in MN, choices were more limited... (not a huge tint market in MN) 35 or 20... I have a prescription, so I took the 20. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a little dark while reversing, but the next day with bright sun on fresh snow, you couldn't pay me enough to not have tint!

Bottom line is that it is most definitely a compromise. I have some aux lites up behind the bumper, shining at the ground, but they don't help much. If I have trouble seeing behind me, the window rolls down quite easily. I usually plow with the driver window partway down, unless the snow is fluffy and blows in the window. To me, the hundreds of hours I spend in my truck NOT plowing justify the PIA factor during the time I have to plow.

Derek
2003 F350, 7.3, Erie Special #36
SnowEx Mini-Pro 575
1986 F150 302, 4spd, 35's
post #9 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 05:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 76chevyman
I ahd tint on my old truck it was 5% limo tint i had to put spot lights on the back of the truck so i can see when backing up at night. But i tell you one thing driving at night with tint saves on the eyes you dont get the reflecting out of the mirrors from lights of other cars, it reflects right of the tint. Its great for driving my only down fall was i couldnt see backing up but the spot lights solved that. And just to let you know there are laws on tint. Most states only let you have 50% and you have to cary a tint certicficate. Or when the cops pull you over they will do the driver's liscense test or put a tint meter on it. And if either fails the cop will sit there and wacth you rip the tint off just to be a stinker. So try not to bring attenshion to your self and they usally leave you along.

Rich
post #10 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 06:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Plow Dak Send a message via Yahoo to Plow Dak
MDsnowPRO
I for one don't want tint.. either plowing snow or towing cars, backing up is hard enough in a confined area. You need all the help you can get. It might be just me but i think it makes lights mask areas in the window making it unable to notice things.
Unfortunately i've run trucks both ways and refused to run one truck because of tint.
Just my 2 cents.

"BIONIC" Mike Coombs
40 Year Chrysler & Toyota Tech ASE Master

If you canít do what I do, as well as I do, donít tell me what to do.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-03-2004, 09:57 PM

I've always had 15% on the rear of my vehicles so I guess I'm used to it, but even without tint you can't really see much out the back of a truck.

During the day there's not much of a difference and at night time I use the backup lights if I need 'em.

It's all personal preference, you'll get used to it and compensate for the lack of light but overall I think the pros out weigh the cons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plow_3.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	2866  

Peter @ Nova Landscaping
'98 GMC Sierra Z71 - 6.5L Turbo Diesel
7.5' Western Standard Ultramount
post #12 of 25 Old 02-04-2004, 03:44 AM
TLS

This is my truck, and the windows have been tinted soon after I bought it in 1990.

I have the Illegal % (forget what it is) on side and back, and Limo on the port windows.

Only got nabbed ONCE on the way to the beach while passing (rather swiftly I might add) through Delaware. Harley cop pulled me over as the speed limit dropped from 55 down to 35. Nabbed me for that and the window tint. BOY was I HOT

Never had a problem in PA, but just because your passing through a State that its illegal They're just GLAD the court date location was almost 3 hrs away in Dover, or I would have fought it.

Anyways!!!

Non tint is better for night visibility.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trucksideshot.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2867  

Tommy
2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab
VYU 6.0L Dual Optima's
Single Back-Rack mounted Strobe
BOSS 9.2 V-Plow (steel)
BOSS Receiver mount Salt Spreader
265 Cooper Discoverer M+S
post #13 of 25 Old 02-05-2004, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MDsnowPRO
got it done heres how it looks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deflector and tints 001.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2878  
post #14 of 25 Old 02-05-2004, 03:04 PM

MDsnowPRO,

I have the max (I think) on mine, and its no big deal can't see much out of the rear window anyway, with the spreader on! So get it, its worth it, plus with a black truck, I need all the help I can get in the summer to try and keep it cool.
If Im in a tight area and am questioning something I just roll the windows down.

Mike

Mike,
Former U.S. Marine
Please Support our Military
Huntin', fishin' and pushin' a little Snow
'04 F350 PSD Crew Cab LB
Western 8' Pro Plus W/wings
Salt dogg Spreader
post #15 of 25 Old 02-05-2004, 03:05 PM

we have 15 on the durango, I see fine backing up

Remember it only hurts the FIRST time you agree with me
post #16 of 25 Old 02-05-2004, 04:29 PM

We have a chevy with tinted windows. I think 20%. Seeing out the side is no prob. aslong as you put the window down, however the back is a different story. So what I did was cut out a chevy emblem in the middle of the window. Problem solved and it looks nice too.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-05-2004, 04:56 PM

I have the Ford factory tint that comes with AC. I think it makes plowing at night a little more trouble. I wish I didn't have it.

EX-SIMA Member
post #18 of 25 Old 02-06-2004, 04:40 PM

Like everything else, I believe it all comes down to personal preference and whether you are comfortable or not with tint and to what degree you get. Every vehicle I've owned I've had the windows tinted 20% or less. The tow truck I drove for 3 yrs I also done and never had any problems. I also believe the pros out weigh the cons, that's just my $0.02.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tint.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2904  

'02 Ford F250 XLT
8' Fisher MM2
48" Tomar 930N Heliobe Lightbar
Tomar Neobe Strobe Hide-Aways
post #19 of 25 Old 02-06-2004, 05:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to phoenix827 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix827
My $.02? Go for it, but don't go real dark. @ night, it dosen't take a lot to affect your visibility. I had REAL dark tint on a car I bought and it took a couple months to get used to it @ night.
post #20 of 25 Old 02-19-2004, 09:12 AM

I just bought another truck yesterday and it has a real dark tint on the rear window. Does anybody have any tips on how to remove the film? It may have been on there for a few years. It has a defroster on the rear glass so I don't want to damage the lines. I was thinking of warming it up with a blow dryer and they try to peel it. I can't see a thing out the back at night so it has to go.

Ray
post #21 of 25 Old 02-19-2004, 09:33 AM

Hi Ray,

What kind of truck did you buy?

The tint shops use one of those heat guns on the outside of the window and slowly loosen it up.

Hair dryer probably won't do much good, maybe you should wait till summer when it's really hot out, it'll go much easier.

Peter @ Nova Landscaping
'98 GMC Sierra Z71 - 6.5L Turbo Diesel
7.5' Western Standard Ultramount
post #22 of 25 Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 PM

Smile

Hi Nick,

First of all thanks for your question. May I know where are you from basically because if you are living in the USA, there is different tinting percentage for all the states, you can get more information from this link about the tinting percentage https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/autom...-laws-by-state, here I am sharing a picture with you about the tinting percentage Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Tinting Guide.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	28937. Or you can search from your state wise on Google.com like window tinting in atlanta and you will get result about the tinting percentage and law too.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-06-2019, 04:08 AM

my friend is doing the same thing, currently, he is working for ina towing company at rite way towing nyc,
post #24 of 25 Old 07-07-2019, 02:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbrown2302 View Post
my friend is doing the same thing, currently, he is working for ina towing company at rite way towing nyc,
Exactly what is your friend doing tinting his windows or researching the legal limits?
post #25 of 25 Old 07-09-2019, 08:55 AM

There are no legal limits for the rear window tint. you can paint the rear window black if you have Sideview mirrors I neither side of the vehicle

To remove old tint start the corner edge with a razor blade and start peeling it off once you get under the sheet/ tint you can pull it off like a big kicker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode