The Truck List For "Basic" - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-01-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

The Truck List For "Basic"

I promised Basic a few weeks back i would make a list of what i considered good old Iron for plowing. I have had my share of older trucks i have bought and restored for plowing and honestly they have always been my safty valve when the new stuff went down

First most know to a degree i like my Fords however ther not on my top list of old iron.

For 7 yrs i have looked high and low for a J-10-20 Jeep truck to restore that would be my number one pic.

A IH Truck or Scout would be another.

Leading the list however of easyer to find would be any pre IFS GM truck again most thought i was all Ford but it just took looking to find the 85 K30 that i bought anything with a true solid front axle is a good bet.

I gambled twice on Fords TTB set up and got lucky bought two Fords and restored and plowed multiy years with them again luck maybe set up and picking the right drivers for those trucks another good bet.

Dodge and Jeep would be my next choice old Ramcharger style trucks were a decent choice, along with above mentioned Jeeps.

Ford comes in third for overall since most situations a F350 is the base line to get a solid front axle.

The 60 i restored would be a plowing machine however the point in which i restore something then subject it to Mich winters comes in that truck more than capable but would be foolish to waste it.

Some Draw backs to me IMO with older Iron is Carbs icing issues and fuel hungrey made most of the carb units i had switch to aftermarket fuel injection. Also making ness upgrades to charging systems was also a biggy back in the good ole days monarch was in there prime with belt driven hydros the 60 BTW has all the parts to make it a belt driven hydro plow truck since it spent the first part of its life plowing for a muni up north of here, its 45 amp gen was not the best situation.

So in short the most cost effective old Iron regardless of loyality would be GM parts are cheaper easyer to find and overall making a 70- 87 the best bet.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Fred Pickering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-01-2007, 02:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to festerw
Fred this has been in the paper here this week

JEEP 78 J-10 Pick Up Truck, 360 Engine $300, Auto Tranny $100, 4wd, Myer 7’ Snowplow, good condition $800 obo, 5 tires w/ wheels, 15” Steel Radials $200, New Starter, New $275 Carburator $200, 2 good axles $200 ea, $1500 takes all. (814)438-2701

Sort of unclear as to whether it's the whole truck and their parting it out or just a bunch of parts, but it's not too far from the house here in Cambridge if you want me to take a look and snap some pics for you.

92 Dodge Dakota - 7'6" Snoway MT with DP
post #3 of 19 Old 11-01-2007, 05:30 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jerre Heyer
Fester, was going to look at that one. Talked to the guy for quite a while the other day. Sounds like the body is pretty shot and the frame is rotting apart. Transfer case is broken. I can go take a look at it if you want. It's not too far from me.

We decided to look for those Import cabovers for around the farm.

J

Jerre Heyer Jerres Service, Erie Pa 814-898-2171 Shop 814-881-4093 Cell
[email protected] All rights reserved on included content.

“Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?”[Eleanor Roosevelt]

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible. D.K. PhD

If you can’t do what I do, as well as I do, don’t tell me what to do. Mike Coombs

Why Carry a Pistol....Because a Policeman is too heavy....
post #4 of 19 Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 PM

I would vote for the 73-87 and the up to 91 GM solid axle trucks. Parts are everywhere, you can upgrade parts in the family, 1 ton parts on the 1/2 tons. I like the q jets and the hei. Very dependable.
The K5's are great as well and can be upgraded just like the pick ups.

98 K2500 6.5 TD Solid axle, lockers front and rear, longfield CV shafts
06 Express D Max
post #5 of 19 Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fes and J if ya wanna that would be great but i would bet its like the many i have looked at just a skely and no frame left.

Dirk Waltz the Jeep and gm dealer i worked for here for 14 yrs still has three J-10s the one is still used has the lot Plow truck god only knows the abuse that thing has had with mulity drivers i know i had rebuilt the Meyer pump once and replaced it once while i was there along alot of welds to the Blade.
They also have a mint J-10 sport which is rare has hell with the rollbar and brush gaurd and then a j10 we called old blue thats a trash truck. I have asked many times and the answer has always been no on selling them.

Every fall i can remember a bunch of J trucks coming in for preplow tuning some were really good shape were they all went i dont no. The J truck would again be my big pic for resto as long has there is a solid frame sheet metal is hard to find and i would have to build most of my own like i did on the 60.

Joey
Carbs just are not efficent the days of me having three on the bench and the carb vat running are long gone we use the vat for cleaning other parts now.

Not sure if all the members no what carb icing is but when its damp and cold outside the carb will form ice on the throttle plates causing it to blow black smoke load up and cause fouled plugs and gas the oil, some engines even with good working hot air doors and stove pipes would do this. My 86 F250 i had with the 351 HO and fac Holley was the worst, that was the first of my trucks i installed the Commander series throttle body injection system on and the truck went from 6 miles to the gallon to 12 and no icing.

The K30 i have a Comander 950 series setting on the floor to install Holley has made the system even better since the one i installed on the 86 the new series allows me to adjust the ecu with my laptop making for opti tune and fuel curves. Even this morning has i took the 85 to go get coffee the Barry Grant holley i threw on temp struggled in the 27 degree weather this am, something i wont tolorate in a truck when it can be upgraded.

Fred Pickering
post #6 of 19 Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 AM

I am not a big fan of the J10-20 trucks but finding one with a good frame is very hard. I had one that had the solid frame and wasn't a bad truck. The body was bad as the owner had used expanding foam to fix the rot. It looked good as he spent a lot of time sanding and forming it. I sold it to a guy who loved them, the minute I had it he wanted it so off it went. They have a following I think
I hear you on the carbs, there is always a better option but I can't say I ever had many issues with the q jets. Jet was the best place for fixing them back when I had them but I am a let my truck warm up before I even move it type so issues were not common.
Your showing your age now with these carbs you know. Kids I see at the track don't think cars can run without a computer

98 K2500 6.5 TD Solid axle, lockers front and rear, longfield CV shafts
06 Express D Max
post #7 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
I would vote for the 73-87 and the up to 91 GM solid axle trucks. Parts are everywhere, you can upgrade parts in the family, 1 ton parts on the 1/2 tons. I like the q jets and the hei. Very dependable.
The K5's are great as well and can be upgraded just like the pick ups.
I agree completely. And if you don't like carbs, the factory 87+ TBI fuel injection is pretty much plug-and-play... not to mention lately being a dime a dozen. I have FOUR spare setups in my yard right now....

Niagara Driveway Services

1982 GMC K35 Dually Dump w/9'-2" BOSS V
1978 Chevy K30 Dually Dump w/9'-2" BOSS V & Flink V-box
1986 Chevy K30 Dually w/8' Fisher
1990 GMC S15 4x4 w/6'-6" BOSS V & Western Pro-Flo2 Spreader
1990 GMC C30 Dually
post #8 of 19 Old 11-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Fred,thank you very much for posting the information,it helps a lot.For me,it seems like GM would be the way to go,I see more older GMs and Fords compare to anything else.I was impresed reading a recent post about the cost of the Mr. Goodwrench new engines.Is there any thing specificly to look for or watch out for when looking for a GM truck?What upgrades would you do?What about the best combination engine,trans,transfer case and F/R differentials?Thanks guys.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 PM

I guess that would depend on what year and model you settle on.

Engine-V8 Chevy, hard to go wrong. Carb'd up thru '86, TBI thru '95, Vortec style EFI '96 on. Depending on your needs, a 305, 350, or 454 all are available and all do well, though the 305 is a bit of a dog in anything but a half-ton shortbox with no options!

Diesels are also available, but a lot of guys don't recommend GM diesels--tho alot of guys do. Seems they either run forever, or not at all. 6.2L N/A diesels came on the scene in '82 and ran thru about '93, and somewhere around there the 6.5 N/A and 6.5 TD came available. I wouldn't even consider a pre '82 diesel, they are a modified 350 Oldsmobile engine and are troublesome and hard to find parts for.

Trannys.... pick your poison. Automatics include simple and rugged TH350 and TH400's--the old three speed auto. Cheap to buy, build, and rebuild. No overdrive... which leads us into the 700R4/4L60. Early versions(82-87) had their share of problems, but by '88 or so they had them working pretty well. Can be rebuilt reasonably these days using heavyduty Corvette and aftermarket components. This tranny was superceded in around '93 or so by the 4L60e, an electronically controlled version.

Sticks... There was a Saginal three speed manual, not sure if it ever saw 4x4 duty or not. A light duty three speed plus overdrive... and the fourspeed manual Muncie SM465... basically a HD three speed with an unsyncronized bull-low first gear. '88 saw a Muncie/Getrag 5 speed (which if I'm not mistaken is currently still available as a NV3500), and the early 90's saw the introduction of a NV4500.

Transfer cases... Early 70's on trucks had three main ones, all work well for their intended purpose. The np203 was a full time 4x4 case, though many were converted with a contravertial part time kit to save fuel. Its cast iron, and sturdy, but chain drive. The NP205 is considered about the ultimate case, being cast iron and strong gear drive. The NP208 came on the scene in the early 80's as a lightweight aluminum unit, chain drive, not as strong but easier on fuel. Later trucks came with I think an NP241 (or 231? I forget which) which is similar to the 208.

Front axles... 70's trucks mainly had Dana 44's in them, though the tail end and thru the 80's up to '87 (or 91 R/V series Jimmy/Blazer/Sub) had GM Corporate 10 bolts. (1/2 and 3/4 tons). 1 ton trucks got the Dana 60, about the best axle you can buy. '88+ trucks went to the independant front end many people don't recommend for plow service or offroading.

Rear Axles... 70's 1/2 tonner trucks had mainly 12 bolt semi-floaters, 80's had 10 bolt rears. 3/4's from those era's mainly used the 10.5" 14 bolt full floater, but somewhere in the 80's they also started using the 9.5" 14 bolt semi-floater. 1 tons all had the 10.5"er, FF... considered the ultimate GM rear axle. Some 88+ 3/4 LD trucks used the 9.5" with 6 lug hubs instead of 8.

Have I forgotten anything? Or does that pretty much sum it up?

We could really mix it up and throw in S truck stuff, but we'll save that for another day... my hands are tired.

Niagara Driveway Services

1982 GMC K35 Dually Dump w/9'-2" BOSS V
1978 Chevy K30 Dually Dump w/9'-2" BOSS V & Flink V-box
1986 Chevy K30 Dually w/8' Fisher
1990 GMC S15 4x4 w/6'-6" BOSS V & Western Pro-Flo2 Spreader
1990 GMC C30 Dually
post #10 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 04:38 PM

Back when I was 16 I had a 69 J-3000 Gladiator, awesome truck. It had a Buick v-8 from the factory, 4 spd tranny with granny gear. The the wife and kids came along so I traded for a Scout. My grandfather always plowed with scouts, 800's and scout II's. Got tired of patching body pannels so I retired my Scout and started running GMC pickups for the last 12 yrs.

Chris
00' Sierra 2500 4x4 6.0 auto ext. cab long bed
8' Lot Pro

87' S-10 Blazer 2.8 auto
6'6" classic Western blade and mount with Meyers pump and rams
post #11 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Excuse my ignorance but whats an IH truck or a scout?? Thanks!!

2002 GMC Sierra 8.1L w/ Allison tranny
Western 8.5 V-Plow
post #12 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM

Nevermind I did a search

2002 GMC Sierra 8.1L w/ Allison tranny
Western 8.5 V-Plow
post #13 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM

I learned to drive a manual trans in a Scout,three on the tree,4 cyl,I worked for the City Of Passaic,I also remember a Chevy 3/4 ton pick-up(early 70's)with a 292 6 cyl,manual trans and a Meyer plow,in the DPW garage,
What would be the best L/S for the rear end?Thanks again for the response.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 PM

I also posted this in the for sale section, Its not mine, but I can lead someone to it....

It meets all of Freds requirements....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blazer2.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	17615   Click image for larger version

Name:	blazer3.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	17616  
post #15 of 19 Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM

I agree with the 85 chevy route

Don't forget you can change the driverside sparkplugs in 10mins, in the dark, in 32 deg weather 150' from the house in about 10mins.

she seemed to know what was coming this weekend, and thursday as i had her parked at the end of the driveway while i moved firewood up at house, she just quit. was planning on changing plugs the next day, oops.

She is easy to work on that is for sure. Have the eldelbrock/carter carb on her, and open element air filter and (knockonwood) have not had a problem yet. course we stay kindof warm down here compared to most of ya.

I keep saying i want to upgrade to a newer oil burner and retire the old chevy but golly i hate to. I posted this picture on another site, in response to a picture of a new Tundra and it's broken tailgate. try this with a 'new' vehical.

okyay i give up i can't seem to get picture to post

Dave Miller
85 Chevy 3/4ton with 7'6 Meyer
post #16 of 19 Old 12-15-2007, 03:31 PM

i give up here is the link to pic,
i need to do some searching, i have no problem on another site i use, it's been a while since i have been here, and i know i have posted pics before.

Dave Miller
85 Chevy 3/4ton with 7'6 Meyer
post #17 of 19 Old 12-17-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbroerse View Post
Transfer cases... Early 70's on trucks had three main ones, all work well for their intended purpose. The np203 was a full time 4x4 case, though many were converted with a contravertial part time kit to save fuel. Its cast iron, and sturdy, but chain drive. The NP205 is considered about the ultimate case, being cast iron and strong gear drive. The NP208 came on the scene in the early 80's as a lightweight aluminum unit, chain drive, not as strong but easier on fuel. Later trucks came with I think an NP241 (or 231? I forget which) which is similar to the 208.
On NP transfer cases.

203's are a chain drive but the chain is huge. You just have to run gear lube in the reduction case and ATF in the chaincase. The chain will fail in gear lube. MorseTec only makes a handful of those chains a year and they are rather pricey.

The 205 is rock solid but low range is only 1.96:1. Chain driven units will actually hold up better under high torque. 231 and 233 are good units, although a somewhat lower capacity transfer case. 231s were installed in Liberties until this year and 233s are still used in Dodge Dakota and a GM truck built in Brazil. Known to have issued with leaking.

241's are good units. A 241HD will outlive a NP205 on the dyno.

In my opinon 271/273 are the best transfer case out there right now. Incredible torque capacity. Lots of them out there so parts are easy to find. Not old enough to be in any "Basic" plow trucks yet though.

Any NPG/NVG transfer case questions PM me. If I don't know the answer I'll find somebody who does.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-15-2012, 11:48 PM

I love the old iron talk. I have a 67 IH 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 345 V-8 727 torqueflite, and divorced 205. It has a closed knuckle 44 in the front and split wheels. I'm going to switch it to a corporate 14 bolt ff and dana 60 so I can have good brakes and a standard bolt pattern. It would be a great plow truck but its rust free and I couldn't subject the old girl to the elements. I also have a 79 cj7 with j20 axles and its got a vortec 5.3 4l60e dana 300 drivetrain. I am probably going to put my Meyer blade on a custom mount so I can completely remove it in the summer. I think an 87 to 91 k30 with a tbi 350 is hard to beat for a factory plow truck. I also think the old body style dodges are hard to beat for a basic work truck but I'm a diesel nut so of course I'd go for a cummins.

03 Dodge QC/SB 3500 Cummins, built auto, 650hp, Sled puller/ plow truck 8ft Meyer
07 Dodge 3500 mega cab5.9 built auto, 500hp tow rig, Sno Way 29V
post #19 of 19 Old 11-11-2016, 11:14 AM

IH is great. Can anyone tell the details about a F350?
municipal sweeping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode