Airbags for Jeep YJ to Support Plow - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Airbags for Jeep YJ to Support Plow

Hi all,

I have a low miles, 1988 Jeep YJ, with the 4.2L six, 5-speed Ax-15 trans (and transfer case) out of a '99 Cherokee, and a 6.6' Western snowplow.

I have yet not used the vehicle, as I bought it from my mechanic, and it's ready for new (LEAF) springs all around, as it was used for plowing. (I will use it for myself and my neighbors’ residences, only.)

The OEM springs were obviously overwhelmed by the plow's weight (it sits LOW in the front, even with the plow on the ground) and, when I have new springs installed, I don't want them to suffer the same fate.

So...I was hoping there was some solution involving AIRBAGS that could be placed so as to assist in holding the snow plow up, but that could be deflated when not plowing, to allow for the normal, YJ's leaf-spring ride.

I realize I could add air shocks to the front, but given that the frame has fairly heavy rust scale, I don't want to over-stress the shock mounts, as they were not designed to carry more than "shock loads," not shock loads PLUS the weight of a snow plow.

I see plenty of airbag kits for Jeep TJ's (and other, newer Jeeps that have COIL springs) but I was hoping for an air-adjustable solution to work with OEM-spec, replacement leaf springs.

I know I could go to stiffer leaf springs, but I don't want to do that for two reasons:

1. The YJ's ride is not great to begin with, and stiffer springs won't improve that, and;

2. While the body has very little rust, there is heavy scale on the frame--it's not dangerous yet, but I don't want to stress the frame, unnecessarily, by running stiffer than OEM springs, full-time (on the ROAD), IF I could just "firm up" the front suspension for when the plow is attached, as I'll be doing my own property, and won't have to drive much, on the roads, with the plow attached.

Thanks much, in advance,

Y-Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode