suspension beef up project - 1989 Ford Bronco - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-08-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Question suspension beef up project - 1989 Ford Bronco

Good morning all,

I would like to ask the group for advise on the best upgrade path for a 1989 Ford Bronco that has a Meyer's 8ft plow setup. The front end currently has an airbag setup that does not work very well any more so I am contemplating upgrading the springs and shocks instead of just fixing the leaky air bags. I would like to know what you pros have found to work best. I appreciate all your time and assistance.

Aleks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-08-2007, 10:15 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Well aside from the TTB comments your gonna hear i have ran 3 TTB's and never cracked a housing all three plowed has main line trucks in there hayday.

Since the bronco has the same front end has a F150 you can go the route i always did you can put front springs in it from Moog for a F350 and yes they will fit just has more coils wound tighter install a good set of front shocks again a good set of reflex from monroe would be fine. This just got rid of the need for the bags. I never ran over a 8fter on a TTB and the set up i just described worked with out fail and total cost is about 250 bucks.

If your really serious about keeping this truck which to me is a great set up with its shorter wheel base you can buy James Duff axle casings there made from Titanum and i have used them on custs builds for serious off roaders trust me you wont crack Duffs housings.

I havent spent much time arguing the TTB debate here but it can be overcome with aftermarket parts and you can build a bullett proof front end.

Its all what you want to spend.

Fred Pickering
post #3 of 14 Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Pickering Snow for your input... just a another question.. sorry but I am just a newbie.. what is TTB stand for??.. Also here is a pic of the truck in question.. not that pretty but functional. Thanks for your input.. will begin to look for the items you suggested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7smaller.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	17568   Click image for larger version

Name:	1smaller.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	17569  
post #4 of 14 Old 12-08-2007, 11:56 AM

TTB twin traction beam...the thinking behind the design was to keep both wheels planted and getting more traction.

Go the spring route like Fred suggested..good luck
post #5 of 14 Old 12-08-2007, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Fred and Randy for the inputs.. looked up the springs at AutoPartsGiant.com for an F350 with both a 5.8L and 7.6L Diesel. Both came back with Moog CC844 and CC844S as options. The S are rated as severe duty which a plow definitely should qualify for.. any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.. thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpcconcepts View Post
Thanks Fred and Randy for the inputs.. looked up the springs at AutoPartsGiant.com for an F350 with both a 5.8L and 7.6L Diesel. Both came back with Moog CC844 and CC844S as options. The S are rated as severe duty which a plow definitely should qualify for.. any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.. thanks
I would think the "S" Severe Duty springs might be a little overkill, curious as to the actual weight ratings of them... I would assume this though, your bronco with plow and proper ballast will still be lighter on the front axle than an F350 with a diesel, much less an F350 diesel sporting a plow. No doubt it would carry the plow well, but you'd probably hate it unloaded. I would think the stock F350 springs would be more than plenty for your Bronco.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-09-2007, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

The specs from the website are as follows

Description: Suspension Coil Spring
Manufacturer: MOOG
Additional Description: Front Susp ; 164.8 WB ; Crew Cab ; Severe Duty ; Variable Rate; Years:1989-1991; Per Car Qty:1;

Nothing about weight specifications though... while sleeping on it I thought that maybe I should try to just replace the air bags with new ones and see how well that works... I found a Firestone Coil-Rite kit at trukspring.com for $78. Not sure how hard they are to install though.... the kit says they are rated to support 500-1000lbs per set...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.. thansk
post #8 of 14 Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 AM

You can use either number the truck will settle after the new springs are in and loaded , the standard F350 spring would be fine both F150s i used the reg 350 springs one had a 7.6 and the other a 8 fter both carryed fine.

Fred Pickering
post #9 of 14 Old 12-09-2007, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickering Snow View Post
You can use either number the truck will settle after the new springs are in and loaded , the standard F350 spring would be fine both F150s i used the reg 350 springs one had a 7.6 and the other a 8 fter both carryed fine.
Thanks for the clarification Fred... as for my second thought, was thinking of trying to replace the failing air bags with new ones to see if they will carry at least threw this season. I found that your numbers for parts were right on but have not gotten the labor side yet. I figure I should be mechanically inclined enough to replace the old air bags myself... your thoughts as always are very much appreciated... thanks

Aleks
post #10 of 14 Old 12-09-2007, 06:08 AM

If you can change the bags you can do the springs no biggy unbolt the shocks and let the radiaus arm and axel beam down take off the spring retainer lock if there still there at the top of the spring i use a porta power to pull the spring out but if your careful you can use a bottle jack install new springs and new shocks .

Labor charge is gonna depend on your area labor rates but fig about 2 -3 hrs per side again the only way i would pay someone is if you were gonna change the axle casings out. Get a helper good sat morn job again no biggy.

Fred Pickering
post #11 of 14 Old 12-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Banned

On the Coil-Rite bags, it will take you longer to run the airline than it will to install the bags. I just put a set on mine, not quite as good as Timbrens in the plow handling department, but I love the adjustability. They slip right inside the coils, pop the airlines on and you're done. Very easy.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
On the Coil-Rite bags, it will take you longer to run the airline than it will to install the bags. I just put a set on mine, not quite as good as Timbrens in the plow handling department, but I love the adjustability. They slip right inside the coils, pop the airlines on and you're done. Very easy.
Thanks Wizard for that info.. did you have to disassemble the springs as Fred indicated or was there enough room to maneuver them into place without cracking the wrench..? Thanks
post #13 of 14 Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpcconcepts View Post
Thanks Wizard for that info.. did you have to disassemble the springs as Fred indicated or was there enough room to maneuver them into place without cracking the wrench..? Thanks
Well, if you're putting springs in it anyway, you just pop the bags inside the coils before you put them on. Literally, the only extra work is taking the bags out of the box and putting them inside the springs. My truck is a bit different than yours, but on mine, it was a matter of unbolting the shocks, prying down on the axle just enough to pop the coil out, putting the air bag in, spring back in, run the line, re-secure the shock, and done. I will say this though, I firmly believe that the coil-rite bags by themselves would not be enough to support the extra weight, upgraded springs are a must. Of course, I'm running a bit heavier plow too... For that matter, on your truck, I would probably do the springs first, see how it rides, then do the coil rites later if you feel it neccessary. Your plow isn't that heavy, so springs may be enough for it.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-10-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Brendan for the clarification... will hope to start this over the coming weekend... Thanks you also Fred for your time and input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode