1990 K1500 fuel relay work around - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

1990 K1500 fuel relay work around

I think I have a bad fuel relay according to the test procedure. If I put power to the adl fuel pump test port the pump runs. I plan on picking one up tomorrow and installing it, couldn't get to the store in time today. I called and they're holding one for me. My real question though is is there a way to wire around and bypass the relay and have the fuel pump run so that you can use the truck. If so how could you do it. I would like to know so that I could wire up a backup system in place in case this happens again when I need to plow.
Thanks for your help,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2019, 03:04 PM

There should be a legend on the relay. Battery in, terminal to the fuel pump, a signal from the ECM to turn on the relay, then ground. Tho the relay control could be wired differently thru the ECM. At the relay, do you have battery power, ignition power, and ground??
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

My plow truck has decided not to run! Turning the ignition on the fuel pump does not run. Going to the run position and holding it for awhile the fuel pump still does not run. Squirting starting fluid into the throttle body the truck starts and runs until the starting fluid is used up. Tested the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump relay socket as follows:

Just got done testing my fuel pump relay off of the truck using a multi-meter and a 9 volt battery. It works fine, so I think I have a problem in the wiring or some other sensor or switch. I tested the fuel pump connector with the key on and the key off with a power probe and got the following results,
Key Off socket A 12 v pos Socket C open, Socket F open, socket E ground, socket D Ground.
Key ON socket A 12 v pos, socket C open, socket F, E, D ground
socket diagram __ ____ __
F E D
___ ___
A C

Is it possible and okay to run power to the ADL , then start and run the plow truck that way. I know I'm passing the low or no oil pressure safety that way but need to have the truck running to plow with.

Also does anyone have any idea of what to check next, I'm about of ideas.

Thanks,
Bill
post #4 of 4 Old 02-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Is there a legend on the relay? Post it. And why don't you get a single vehicle subscription to
AllData. It should give you your wiring diagrams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode