Blizzard owners - Douglas Dynamics buys Blizzard - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Blizzard owners - Douglas Dynamics buys Blizzard

blizzard snowplow corp is now a div of douglas dynamics as of
11/3/05 fisher and western company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 11-03-2005, 06:18 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Where did you hear this ? any proof ?

post #3 of 91 Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 PM

Great now we'll see spot welds instead of seams

btw if jerry says so then its true
post #4 of 91 Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 PM

If it is true, and this question could open a serious can of worms, is this a good thing or a bad thing? I say wait for the proof, and then speculate.

The human psyche can only take so much stress before the potential exists for the mind to create an alternate personality. Mine is named Jack, and wow is he mad!!
post #5 of 91 Old 11-03-2005, 06:24 PM

Show us the info on that one. I could be wrong but don't see blizzard selling out.
post #6 of 91 Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Blizzard new owners

All fisher and western dealers were e mailed a letter
from douglas dynamics explaining the buy out today
post #7 of 91 Old 11-03-2005, 07:26 PM

Didnt somebody say the same thing last year?

Looks like you wont see no white but maybe Fisher yellow and Western Red combo. Then the Fisher snowflake with western underneath it.

Where is this email? I see you quoteing a date but no email.

Dave.

Truck Pictures
Treelawny Groundskeeping Svcs
2002 GMC 2500 6.0L 810
2007 Dodge Cummins 2500HD 8611LP
post #8 of 91 Old 11-03-2005, 07:38 PM

If it is true I am glad I already have the Blizzards I wanted in my possession.
post #9 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 02:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to GeoffD
Do I think that the buyout occured, no. However it is possible douglas dynamics has a lot of cash to sped. If you can't beat the competition buy them. Fisher and Western would start selling a new line called power blade or whatever you want to call them, painted yellow or white. Here is the thing Blizzard is a much smaller company, it builds a great product. However blizzard probably lacks the market to make a larger number of blades. Blizzard may have sold out for the reason to increase productivity. Blizzard blades may remain unchange, they may just have taken advantage of Douglas Dynamics capital. Also remember that Western and Fisher both prorduce their own hydro packs, the buy out could be to produce blizzards backs at the Western plant. Again all this is just a theory. I am sure that the correct answer will surface soon enough. I do not believe the buyout occured today, but I will say it could happen.

Geoff
post #10 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 03:22 AM

Hey Guys,

The buyout did occur yesterday. As of this moment nothing will change. It will be business as usual for the time being.

Brian
post #11 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 03:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mark Oomkes
Wouldn't you think that the Blizzard dealers might be notified too?

Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.

America was founded by Right-Wing Extremists.
post #12 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 03:26 AM

They have been notified by Blizzard. Blizzard was aware we were going to make an industry annoucement on 11/3/2005.

Brian
post #13 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 03:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to snowplowjay Send a message via Yahoo to snowplowjay
Hopefully they hold true to the Western end of their business instead of the Fisher end, which from my standpoint as a Mechanical Engineer has gone downhill over the past say 4 to 5 years........ I am glad that we have 2 Pre-Douglas Dynamics Blizzards in our possession. As far as another that we have been considering I guess now may be the time to buy one before any "dummying down" occurs..............

I guess we are in a big Monopoly now........80% of the owners out there today are stuck between one of 2 major companies Douglas Dynamics and Louis Berkman.

I have no gripe with the Douglas Dynamics company since I do still own western equipment and am working on buying a Fisher equipped backup truck over the next few months but like I said if what was done over the past 5 years to the Fisher Engineering design then I will seriously be worried......

Jay
post #14 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 03:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mark Oomkes
I agree Jay. There are some good things that can come from this and some bad things. The good I would see as capital, distribution networks, parts availability. The negatives would be the bean counters getting involved with cost cutting and deengineering a good, strong plow so that it is available to the masses and a Power Plow can be mounted on a half ton for every joe blow out there. Just like the Big 3 are doing with our 'work' trucks.

Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.

America was founded by Right-Wing Extremists.
post #15 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 03:59 AM

I'M GLAD i FLEW IN UNDER THE RADAR TO GET THE REAL BLIZZARDS.
post #16 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 04:36 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jerre Heyer
Brian, thanks for the update to these guys. I was notified PERSONALLy yesterday a.m.. The owners were calling all of the dealers they could reach before the Douglas announcement. Remember they got back Wed evening from the finalizations. The had to tell there workers first.

I am of mixed feelings on the situation. Alot of people here know why I left western as a full line in the first place. I feel the entire product line that BLIZZARD has produced is far superior in plowing ability to anything on the market. Controls are not the issue, hookup time is not the issue, pins or no pins are not the issue, headlighting is not the issue. The issue is time on the ground contact with the pavement moving of the snow and the trail/build up under the blade that is left. I have shown and seen this time and again...Blizzard wins.

Boss wins the lighting with the HID but most of you swak at the $400-600 upgrade. Others have nice features too.

My hope is that Brian and his fellow techs at western will be given the time and resources from douglas to keep the 3 lines seperated but combine some of the tech from all of them to make all the plows better. This means the customer win, the dealer wins and the factory wins.

Jerre
:getwide and stay that way

P.S. got stock of 810's for customization.........

Jerre Heyer Jerres Service, Erie Pa 814-898-2171 Shop 814-881-4093 Cell
[email protected] All rights reserved on included content.

“Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?”[Eleanor Roosevelt]

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible. D.K. PhD

If you can’t do what I do, as well as I do, don’t tell me what to do. Mike Coombs

Why Carry a Pistol....Because a Policeman is too heavy....
post #17 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 05:59 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant

Blizzard Plows Sold To Douglas Dynamics

Check out this article on Douglas Dynamics buyout of Blizzard plows.

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/nov...p?format=print

post #18 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 06:08 AM

Jay not sure what "kind" of "mechanical engineer" you are, but you seem to spout off about it all the time. How much experience in the field do you have? What is you expertise? According to your age you could not have been working that long.

With a degree in mechanical engineering, welding certifications and 20+ years of heavy metal fabrication and truck upfitting, I for one do not know what you are talking about.

Blizzard clearly builds the best plow in terms of strength. Thei fault is in the low mounting point. Boss and Western, both have faults. I do not like the lift ctylinder mount points on Boss Plows and have repaired and reenforced many. There trip edge blade is pretty good, but there V design is awful. Western has a poor overall blade and A-frame design.

Fisher continues to build a solid blade, not the best but good and has the best truckside frame and mounting in terms of strength and clearance.
post #19 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 06:34 AM

Well, I called my dealer (Stonebrooke) this morning, and they wanted to know how I found out, as they just got the call last night. Said it seems as though it'll be same 'ol same 'ol. For a while, anyway. Time will tell.

Derek
2003 F350, 7.3, Erie Special #36
SnowEx Mini-Pro 575
1986 F150 302, 4spd, 35's
post #20 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 06:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to snowplowjay Send a message via Yahoo to snowplowjay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtownsnowplower
Jay not sure what "kind" of "mechanical engineer" you are, but you seem to spout off about it all the time. How much experience in the field do you have? What is you expertise? According to your age you could not have been working that long.

With a degree in mechanical engineering, welding certifications and 20+ years of heavy metal fabrication and truck upfitting, I for one do not know what you are talking about.
I have been in the snow industry since I was a very young child. Brought up by a father who has plowed commercially for what is now 43 years. I have been taught and still to this day go into it with an open mind by some of the best teachers out there.

Actually while you are talking about Metal experience........ I myself actually do hold a job in the metal industry.

If I were you I would bite my tongue before you make such harsh assumptions against me. You have never met me or seen what I do or know in person, while many members here of substance have met me and know that my knowledge is true......... Maybe you should ask someone else around here who knows ME and you might be surprised. I am NOT some ignorant hotshot kid.

Between my 2 companies we do some large scale plowing and I would say I could definitely back up what I say as far as my views on structural stability and engineering.

Jay
post #21 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 06:53 AM

Great now I have to buy more before the "changeover". Just remember who bought who here.
post #22 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 06:59 AM

Exclamation Anyone hear this?!?!?

WHAT!? WHAT!? WHAT!? or have I just missed another anouncement somewere here?

Pulled this off another site

DOUGLAS DYNAMICS, L.L.C.
Press Release
November 3, 2005

Douglas Dynamics Acquires Blizzard® Corporation’s Snowplow Product Line
Milwaukee, WI Douglas Dynamics L.L.C. (“Douglas”) has announced the acquisition of the Blizzard Corporation’s line ofsnowplows.

The Blizzard brand includes truck and skid steer mounted snowplows, including the expanding Blizzard Power Plow™ snowplow and a line of straight blade plows and accessories.

Blizzard products are sold through a large network of dealers located across the United States and Canada.

“We are excited about the opportunity we see in this product line,” said Jim Janik, President and CEO of Douglas. “We view Blizzard snowplows as high quality and innovative products that enjoy a high level of market acceptance.”

Douglas, through its WESTERN® and FISHER® brands, is the world’s leading manufacturer of snow and ice control equipment for pick-up trucks. Douglas has manufacturing facilities in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Rockland, Maine and Johnson City, Tennessee.

Commenting on the acquisition, Cal Niemela, President of Blizzard said, “this sets the stage for continued growth of the Blizzard brand of snowplows.”
Douglas is owned by Aurora Capital Group and Ares Management, L.L.C., private investment firms based in Los Angeles.
post #23 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 07:05 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jerre Heyer
Newtown, I have to agree on the low mounting point if you follow the stock recommendations. I have learned from alot of install and repair experience that mounting the pin height at 14-16" gives a much better overall plowing operation and helps with the height. I have worked on designs for improvement of this and some was to possibly be incorporated in the new designs. I also agree about the problems with western and boss.

As for the cleanest and strongest mount I think the fisher is nice but the concept of the new pockets on the western and the bar style on the curtis take the cake there. I don't like the hang down on the western with the rest of the pocket design but have a good solution for that.

Hopefully the western and fisher R+D guys will listen this time.

Jerre

Jerre Heyer Jerres Service, Erie Pa 814-898-2171 Shop 814-881-4093 Cell
[email protected] All rights reserved on included content.

“Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?”[Eleanor Roosevelt]

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible. D.K. PhD

If you can’t do what I do, as well as I do, don’t tell me what to do. Mike Coombs

Why Carry a Pistol....Because a Policeman is too heavy....
post #24 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 07:44 AM

Alrighty then, most of you have read in other posts why I would not even consider a full trip plow for my situation so a Blizzard for me was out of the question. Do I see a Yellow plow with expandable wings in a trip edge design in my future??
post #25 of 91 Old 11-04-2005, 07:45 AM

News

First Iron lips sink ships so at this time iam not going to make comments .

At this point iam still in somewhat of shock i see things differant than most and hence i will refrain from commenting on what i feel at this point.

After 13 yrs has a diehard western buyer i walked away i walked for several reasons , my hopes and prayers for this whole deal is the three stay seperated has they should. My heart goes out to you Jerre you have poored your heart and sole into the blizzard line and honeslty is the biggest reason why the three need to stay seperated.

It will take me along time to figure the math on a company selling during there biggest time of growth , no smilys for tears.

Fred Pickering
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode