Drop spreader for sidewalks - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:48 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Drop spreader for sidewalks

Got approximately 8000 square feet of sidewalks with my commercial account that needs to be shoveled and salted. They are approximately 5 feet wide by 175 feet long. Currently using a prodcast spreader and going through roughly 400#s of salt each application. I know that this is a overkill on the salt, but haven't found anything better yet to put the salt down with. I see that Buyers has a new drop spreader that will hold 200#s at a time. Anyone have any experience with the drop spreaders? Will they put down bagged salt without clogging? Right now we have to have the opening at almost full blast on the prodcast spreader in order to get the salt to feed, and even then it still clogs at times. Would rather spend the money on a decent and reliable spreader than keep burning through too much salt.

Thanks

12 Dodge Cummins Mega Cab,
95 Chevy 2500

Erie Special #97 #123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Tileman's Boys

i used one of the meyers spreaders the first year they came out and had good luck with it as long as the screen was in it. every once in awhile i had to give it a little shake as it would bridge a little. and it had a nice little cover to keep the salt dry
Classic truck plowers member
1988 Jeep cherokee bliz 720
Erie special owners member

The key to knowledge isn't filling your head with lots of information. It's knowing where to look when you need it. Albert Einstein
Old 12-25-2010, 06:09 PM

Snow Ex has a drop spreader out. Powder coated frame is not the best idea for long life use.. It also is a bit pricey at $600.00
http://www.snowexproducts.com/?page_id=35

Scott
Old 12-25-2010, 06:49 PM

I wanted a drop but couldn't find one locally. Ended up with an agrifab broadcast with a skirt. Works very well with salt. Single large opening. doesn't clog. Holds 125# $200 with cover and shirt.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 AM

Epoke and Hydromann make the best drop spreader. They have tons of adjustment and they will last forever as long as you don't drop them. Problem is they're $1000+. Everything else pale's in comparison when trying to run bulk salt. Everyone seems to have one around here.

"Keep your friendships in repair."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Dave View Post
Epoke and Hydromann make the best drop spreader. They have tons of adjustment and they will last forever as long as you don't drop them. Problem is they're $1000+. Everything else pale's in comparison when trying to run bulk salt. Everyone seems to have one around here.
Dave,

I have looked at them, even though they are pricey I certainly think that they would be worth it in the long run. Do they work well with bulk salt? What's the capacity of them? How heavy are they, too much for one person to get in and out of the back of a truck?

I have briefly looked at both snow ex and buyers, who both have drop spreaders out right now. I would like to see the internal workings of both of those, but they don't have any pictures of them online, and none of my local dealers have any access to them either.

I have some bills that I need to take care of first, but once the funds come available, I will make some type of purchase.

95 Chevy 2500

Erie Special #97 #123
Old 12-26-2010, 04:51 PM

So you want this for walk behind? Here's details on the Epoke Mini5

http://www.epokena.com/products/view...n=30&page=103&

And for the Hydromann Mini 60

http://www.hydromann.dk/Images/files...T%20samlet.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epomini5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	25679  
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Any around the $300 mark?

All of them seem to be $600++
Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutch83 View Post
Dave,

I have looked at them, even though they are pricey I certainly think that they would be worth it in the long run. Do they work well with bulk salt? What's the capacity of them? How heavy are they, too much for one person to get in and out of the back of a truck?

I have briefly looked at both snow ex and buyers, who both have drop spreaders out right now. I would like to see the internal workings of both of those, but they don't have any pictures of them online, and none of my local dealers have any access to them either.

I have some bills that I need to take care of first, but once the funds come available, I will make some type of purchase.
MCV posted the info you want. They are specifically made for bulk salt.

"Keep your friendships in repair."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 AM

MVC and JD Dave,

Thanks for the info guys. Would love to purchase one of those spreaders if the money was in the bank for it. I know I would recoup the money on the sidewalks.

95 Chevy 2500

Erie Special #97 #123