Wings Too Wide - Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Wings Too Wide

A friend of mine was picked up for his plow being too wide with the wings. He has a 7.5 plow with a pair of wings on it. He just recieved a warning but was issued a seat belt ticket. The man is in his late 70's not some young punk kid. He has plowed his entire life and just wont give up. I know the law on trailers is 8.5 ft wide here in Ohio but is it ok for a state truck to have an 11ft wide plow then. The law should be the law I would think. Whats your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Send a message via AIM to Plow Dak Send a message via Yahoo to Plow Dak
Simple
a law for them and a law for YOU and never the two shall meet.

don't know your laws but it would be nice to get a positive number.
Also if the law is 8.5 and his is 9.5 BUT it's angled and the cross width is only 8.5 is he legal ??

It's always something.......

"BIONIC" Mike Coombs
40 Year Chrysler & Toyota Tech ASE Master

If you canít do what I do, as well as I do, donít tell me what to do.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Tileman's Boys

Send a message via AIM to The boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrenzy View Post
A friend of mine was picked up for his plow being too wide with the wings. He has a 7.5 plow with a pair of wings on it. He just recieved a warning but was issued a seat belt ticket. The man is in his late 70's not some young punk kid. He has plowed his entire life and just wont give up. I know the law on trailers is 8.5 ft wide here in Ohio but is it ok for a state truck to have an 11ft wide plow then. The law should be the law I would think. Whats your thoughts?
Just so you know ALL ODOT trucks carry any over width permit in the glove box of every plow truck that has to be reapplied for every year. This would be how they can get away with driving down the road with a 11' plow. All of this information comes from an ODOT driver thats been plowing for the state for close to 20 years

BJ
1982 Chevy K20
Blizzard 810 Erie 1
Classic truck plowers member
1988 Jeep cherokee bliz 720
Erie special owners member

The key to knowledge isn't filling your head with lots of information. It's knowing where to look when you need it. Albert Einstein
post #4 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The boys View Post
Just so you know ALL ODOT trucks carry any over width permit in the glove box of every plow truck that has to be reapplied for every year. This would be how they can get away with driving down the road with a 11' plow. All of this information comes from an ODOT driver thats been plowing for the state for close to 20 years
Just curious. In Colorado the DOT issued the over width permits. Seemed irrelevant to issue themselves permits. In Ohio, who issues the permits?
post #5 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM

It doesn't help you guys, but in IL, I can run as wide as 12' as long as the edges have red markers. Straight from IDOT.

Lucky number nine
Ronsasphalt@sbcglobal.net
Smarter with what I have.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Tileman's Boys

Send a message via AIM to The boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtucker View Post
Just curious. In Colorado the DOT issued the over width permits. Seemed irrelevant to issue themselves permits. In Ohio, who issues the permits?
Not sure if tis the stat or fed DOT. It would not surprise me if the state is issuing them to them self. Ill see if I can find out tomorrow.

BJ
1982 Chevy K20
Blizzard 810 Erie 1
Classic truck plowers member
1988 Jeep cherokee bliz 720
Erie special owners member

The key to knowledge isn't filling your head with lots of information. It's knowing where to look when you need it. Albert Einstein
post #7 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 06:55 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Pelican
In NY, DOT issues the permit and it's good for a year. Anything over 8'6" needs to be permitted, but a 9' blade is still legal if transported angled as the overall width while angled is less. Anyone can get a permit, you just fill out the application and hand them a check. (Who'd of guessed?)

Municipal trucks are not exempt, I looked into it.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jerre Heyer
Love the look on the cops face at the District Justice office for a hearing when they get to read the PA law that states there is NO over width for snow removal equipment. Only time anything applies is on INTERSTATE ( FEDERAL ) roads and there it's 12' unless a snow emergency and then anything goes.

Jerre Heyer Jerres Service, Erie Pa 814-898-2171 Shop 814-881-4093 Cell
jerre@jerres.com All rights reserved on included content.

ďLest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?Ē[Eleanor Roosevelt]

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible. D.K. PhD

If you canít do what I do, as well as I do, donít tell me what to do. Mike Coombs

Why Carry a Pistol....Because a Policeman is too heavy....
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR

Send a message via AIM to CGSI Send a message via MSN to CGSI
Yes... The state DMV issues permits to the state Department of Transportation vehicles but they are charged only an administrative fee to cover processing costs. They charge me $300 a year for the same permit with my F550 because of the wing. You can have a 12 foot wide blade on your truck and so long as when it is on a public highway it is not over 102" wide (8'6") you do not need a permit. The 550 is 10'2" with the wing tucked in and the main plow angled.

http://www.cgsi-pm.com
http://www.IBGMAGIC.COM
We are Dealers for Snow and Salt Doggs too!!!!!!!
Factory Authorized Boss Sales and Service http://www.bossplow.com
Authorized Karrier Dealerhttp://www.karrierco.com
PROUD Member of SIMA
post #10 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerre Heyer View Post
Love the look on the cops face at the District Justice office for a hearing when they get to read the PA law that states there is NO over width for snow removal equipment. Only time anything applies is on INTERSTATE ( FEDERAL ) roads and there it's 12' unless a snow emergency and then anything goes.
I realize this thread is from 2011, but.... this is good info for us in PA. Considering I run a 9" Meyers Poly on my F350 Dump. I figured I was safe transporting it angled, but it's nice to see it is within the law. I had a PA State Trooper pull behind me at a red light last year @ 2AM, I guess he was just checking my lights and making sure my plate was for a class 4B registration and not off a Ranger.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jerre Heyer
Turx, your right. They have to over look the blade but they can double check everything else. J

Jerre Heyer Jerres Service, Erie Pa 814-898-2171 Shop 814-881-4093 Cell
jerre@jerres.com All rights reserved on included content.

ďLest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?Ē[Eleanor Roosevelt]

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible. D.K. PhD

If you canít do what I do, as well as I do, donít tell me what to do. Mike Coombs

Why Carry a Pistol....Because a Policeman is too heavy....
post #12 of 12 Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM

We got a ticket for this years back. Back then fine was $ 250....guess what the permit was $ 250. We got it in our 2500HD with a 8'-6" V blade with wings, plow measured out at 9'-2". Persoally I think the officer was pissed because there was a V box salter in the back (overweight is a$ 1/pound ticket), salter was empty. We drive our 14' pusher down the road without issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum -†Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode