DOT/CDL/ log book requirements - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 11:22 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

DOT/CDL/ log book requirements

Ok, now that I have/will straightened out my truck registration and DOT lettering.

When do I need to complete a log book (not within a 150 miles of home base by air miles correct?)

What limitations are put on me/truck? When?

What do I have to do to drive interstate? (if I was going to pickup something for myself), I won't be hauling for a living, just picking up junk.

Any tips? Anything else I should know or be asking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2006, 11:48 AM

Howard, do you have a fax#? I can fax you the log sheets I use. You need a Driver's Vehicle Inspection Report and the Driver's Exemption Log. The Driver's Exemption Log is used when you're under the 100 Air-Mile Radius. At that point the driver is subject to the following: 11 hours drive time, 12 hours on-duty time and 10 hours off-duty time. I did the sheets in Lotus 123, so I can also email them to you.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:54 AM

fax is ok 719 486 3113 or email at chtucker@bresnan.net (or you could call me/or I could call you, my number is 719 486 3140 at work

So I need to log all my time that I drove locally (within 30 miles of my house)?

Or is that just when I leave the 100 miles?

If I have to keep the above when below the 100 mile, what do I have to keep when I go beyond the 100 miles? Do I need to log anything if I am below CDL driver's license requirements (ie just the plow/sander and below 26,000GVW and no trailer) or because of the DOT numbers all the time?

Hope all those questions make sense...

Howard
Old 01-01-2006, 12:39 PM

Howard you sound as confuesed as i am reading this.

So even trucks under 26K need a log book even if owner operated?

So I guess all uhaul truck rentals need them you know thos 26' ones that people take from coast to coast overloaded. If they don't what is the difference? between them and us .

2005 Ford F-350 6.0L diesel ,Patriot light bar
1997 chevy K2500 6.5L diesel (sold)
1997 Case 580L , 2004 Gehl 4640
2000 Chevy 3500 van
1995 Ford E350 15' cube van 7.3L diesel
Old 01-01-2006, 01:21 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator

Howard, go to J.J. Keller and take a look around. You will find any publication you need to tell you what rules you must follow and they also have to log books and VCR's available too. There's no other place that you will find as complete an information source for transportation and safety regulations.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:24 PM

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

Everything you need to know,
Old 01-01-2006, 01:49 PM

In english please Holy crap that is alot of mumbo jumbo. I order something free from JJ keller.

Bottom line... are all of you with f450s/f550s keeping log books, having safety inspections done, get medicals? What are you documenting if anything of your drivers?

If I finish my CDL (have to for the FD), am I going to have do any of the above?
Old 01-01-2006, 03:55 PM

I was under the impression that anything under 100 air miles is exempt. And, everything under 26k is exempt?

DOT has inspected me 2 times and I do not need a log book or anything else special other than my cdl license etc...

Since when does a 1 ton need log books? All these box trucks from Uhaul are under 26 K to avoid this problem..
2005 Takeuchi 135
IAFF Local 740

Facebook: A. T. Greene Excavation & Snowplowing

www.atgreene.com
Old 01-01-2006, 04:29 PM

I am going to say what I know about Colorado

CDL is needed if:

Your GVW is over 26k (a single axle dump rated at 30)
Your GCW is over 26k (my 5500 w/ trailer that as a GVW more than 6500lbs)
Your trailer GVW is over 10k (any gooseneck usually)

DOT numbers needed because the tare is above 10k

What I am trying to figure out is:

Do I need a log if I stay under 26GCW? Do I need a log at all if I stay within 100 air miles of home even if I tow a 20k gooseneck?

just lots of questions.

PS Alan, We "think" that are local number was orginally #7 we are going to petition the IAFF to have it reinstated. We are now 869. That would be pretty cool.

Howard
Old 01-01-2006, 04:35 PM

Woo woo, #7!

Let me know how you make out with dot. When I hauled my gooseneck, 14k gvw, never had any probs with dot because my total gross was less than 26k.

Anytime I deal with DOT rules, the room gets small and I get a headache. How 'bout you?
2005 Takeuchi 135
IAFF Local 740

www.atgreene.com
Old 01-01-2006, 04:38 PM

the room seems to spin too. The more I read that faster it goes.

Are saying staying under 26 by weight or by rating?
Old 01-01-2006, 04:45 PM

Regidtered weight under 26 is the way I've always been told. But who knows, it seems like the rules change depending upon who you talk to.
2005 Takeuchi 135
IAFF Local 740

www.atgreene.com
Old 01-01-2006, 11:30 PM

in CT you need logbook if you leave the state and are in a 18,000 or more truck... but thats just very basic, many things apply and its very confusing, we hired a consultant t help us get straightened out and make sure everthing was in line....a little money with a big return

Vol. FF
Old 01-02-2006, 07:44 AM

Sorry for the confusion. What I posted was for CDL driver's, over the 26k, within the 100 air mile radius.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:57 PM

Angry I've got a headache

HOWARD!!!! You jinxed me. I headed out this am and got about 1 mile when low and behold, who was waiting for me in front of the fire station in literally, the middle of freaking nowhere?!!!!!

He was sitting there like he knew I was coming.
Pulled me over about 1/4 mile down the road. Checked everything out. We had a discussion about my tri axle trailer and reg. weights vs. actual vs. rated. The room got small and my headaches started. I had neglected to hook my emergency breakaway switch cable to the truck and didn't have my pintle hook safety pin in. Neither one interested him. The dead battery in my emergency breakaway switch cetainly interested him, though. He red tagged my trailer and gave me 2 written warnings.
He was nice enough, but couldn't tell me if I could haul the triaxle behind a 1 ton or 5500 size truck w/o a cdl. Said it would depend upon reg weight and rated weight and etc... etc...

I've been driving for 18 + years, been pulled over 3 times in a private vehicle and through 2 dot roadside inspections. Today was the first written warning I had ever received, and just about within sight of my house.

It's you, Howard, it's you.... BTW, I was headed to pick-up my loader that was having a calcium filled tire repaired after running over a bolthook. Another long story, but needless to say, I shouldn't lend out my equipment.

Soooooo, if I make it Fri. night (doubtfull) you're buying the first round!
2005 Takeuchi 135
IAFF Local 740

www.atgreene.com
Old 01-04-2006, 05:09 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator

Howard, im pretty sure that F550s and 450s are mostly under 18000lbs,as are 4500 GM's. Once you go above 18000,you need a log book,and i think heavy truck inspection,etc. My uncle just bought a 4500,i asked why he didnt get the 5500,he said it was the regulations on the 5500 that kept him from buying it.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 PM

I guess I am with Alan on this one.... I am going to take care of things as they come up. CDL Class A, DOT numbers and lettering the truck are in progress..... Log books and safety inspections are???? I have my DOT medical for the FD....

Alan was it someone you knew? I can't imagine any law engforcement in Leadville A)caring enough to stop me B) Wanting to mess with me as I fix their radios/lights C)Even knowing what to look for.

I guess I just need to leave Leadville in the Dark of night.

Alan I can understand if you can't make it, but beer is on me if you do get down this way.

Howard
Old 01-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Another bad day

Just so you know, you may not want to sit near me with the way my luck is going. I'm apt to get hit by lightning or something. I went and got the loader back last night, 5pm in the dark of course with a difffrent trailer (rated for 9999lbs.). Unloaded the tractor at 530 am and went about my day. Came back at 11 to load salt sand to hit the PO.

THE OTHER REAR TIRE WAS FLAT!!!!

So, in a blinding blizzard I hooked back up the trailer and hauled the %$^#*@(@*&#&#*#ing thing back to the tire shop (25 miles). The only bright side was that the tire shop needed a fork lift hauled, and traded the repair of the tire for the short haul. Hopefully, tomorrow afternoon we'll have it back. Not sure how that's gonna work into tomorrow night, it doesn't look good for an express trip to CT. Does Amtrack go near there? I'm thinking if I go, sitting on a train drinking is my best approach, as long as there is someone on the platform to catch me when I stumble off. The way this week has gone, once I have one, it's gonna taste like another couple dozen are needed.
2005 Takeuchi 135
IAFF Local 740

www.atgreene.com
Old 01-16-2006, 01:54 PM

Alan,

I had another "run-in" with my favorite blue trucks this past fall. This is the scoop on heavy trailers right from Inspector Freeman (and from the book, he showed me). Combined GVW over 26000 is CDL (or any GVW over 26k iscdl). CDL with trailer over 10,000 is class A, under 10,000 is just B. In my case I was driving one of our 3500HDs (15,000), pulling a 12k trailer. Add it up and you get 27,000. I don't have my class A so I was parked. He let me get a 2500 pick-up (8600) to come get the trailer (12K) and it was fine for the driver of the pick-up with a class C (truck was registered for more than the 20600 GCW).

Now the kicker is I have to register the HD for 27,000 now to pull that trailer, which will exclude class C drivers from driving the truck even empty. I have given up playing the GVW game and plan on buying a bigger truck like yours next. Four of us are going through the process for class A now so we will be ok for the spring season.

Nate
Old 01-19-2006, 08:30 AM

Dot/Cdl Logs?

Ole JIM here as a retired long Haul Trucker making out your Log Book is with out Doubt the most Mis Understood & most Important item in Trucking! Pelican was Correct in mentioning J.J.Keller as they Cover all the RULES! & in reading any INFO on or conserning DOT! You have to be a Lawyer? as its very confussing! on Long Hauls the differant states Axle Laws! are the hardest to comply with! I just read an article in our local newspaper in referance to trucks being over loaded! & Ruining our highways? which is a Simple FIX! & the most Neglected issue in Trucking! PERIOD! & I have mentioned this to every political leader I come accross! as its the Un Fairest Law ever! Take the over Load Burdon Off the Trucker & place It on the Shippers! as their responcable for Loading their Product on or into Trailers & they Know the Exact Weight of their Product re guardless of what? it Is & by Shippers becomming Responcable & having to PAY a few Huge FINES all this Crap would STOP! what really gets Me? is that SAFETY Finger is allways pointed at the Trucker! & the Truth being the Trucker is Helpless to DO any thing about IT! except PAY huge FINES! for Hauling Shippers over loaded trailers! & another Truckers problem is a Trucker becomes the Shippers labor Force in Un loading! as the Truckers JOB is getting the Load to its Desternation & it should be the Receivers JOB to Un load his in comming what ever? but it don*t work that WAY! after driving & keeping your Log Book up to Date! & Correct? & Your Bone Tired! & You hand your loads Paper Work to the Receiver! He will tell YOU what Door? You are to Back into! & once your backed In! He rolls Out a Palet Jack that Don*t work all that great! as YOU have to Pump the Handel all the time to keep the Palets your Un Loading off the whare house Floor! & Its along way to the front of that Trailer! OH! a Trucker Can? hire a Lumper to Un Load & PAY big Bucks & there by Drive for Nothing! so after a few hours of un loading & putting the receivers Product exactally where they want It! Your finally Done? & YOU call IN! Your Dispatcher & your thinking of getting a few hours of Shut Eye? as Your Beat! Think Again! as HE assigns YOU another Hot load! that has to be Picked UP! as soon as You can Get There! & Heres where a Log Genie has to DO his Thing! & Keeping Your Log Book Up to Date is 100% more Important than how good a driver You Are! & You have All heard of keeping two Log Books! & this is the Truth of Trucking! theres NO WAY! as its Totally Impossible to Truck by DOTs LAWS & make a Living Trucking! PERIOD! as it just can NOT be Done! & that Guys is a FACT!& heres some Food for Thought? as a Retired Long Haul Trucker I Don*t Know? of any Businesses Man that has such a High equipment Expense nor PAYS more Un seen Permits Licenses ECT? than Truckers DO! & beats his Body w/ driving every waking moment Eating on the Fly & driving in all kinds of Weather bumper to bumper for Hours on End & Avoiding 4 wheelers driving w/ their Heads Up their Butts? & considering the Truckers are our Nations LIFE LINE! as IF YOU have IT It was Trucker to YOU by some Trucker! & the Only Respect You will see out there? is every Once in a While? When Your Stopped! Some ONE? Will complimant Your Truck or Wave? to On the Highway! I personally apply Winston Churchills Trubute to the English Fighter Pilots during the Blitz of England to the Trucker! Heres the TRIBUTE! Never have so Many Owed so Much to so FEW! as thats Says it! Sorry Guys for the Long POST! Please Forgive! as a Retired TRUCKER I thought? a Little TRUTH wouldn*t Hurt? Thanks! Ole JIM
Old 01-19-2006, 12:47 PM

At least in MD/DC/VA as long as we are within 100 air miles we don't have to keep any logs. Only thing they want is a record of post trip inspections and semi annual DOT safety inspections, and those don't have to be kept in the trucks just need to be filed "somewhere". With 5 class 8 trucks on the road at least 1 gets pulled over every week, and never do they ask for logs. The usual lic. reg. and med card, followed with a quick safety inspection. and occasional brake/slack adjuster test.

On a side note a new driver got flagged at a scale last week for having a rear dual low on air(left a scrap yard 20 minutes before and had picked up a piece of metal).Got a $100 fine for the tire and then didn't know where the safety triangles were, so he said the truck didn't have em, another $75 fine.
The DOT man then decides the truck is inoperable because of the tire, and flags it. To make an already long story shorter, i showed up to plug tire and plead my case. I expalined why the truck had a bad tire showed him the scrap receipt with date and time and then showed him the triangles under the passenger seat where they are in most trucks.

His response: sorry we can't pull a truck in and not write up at least 1 fine, best bet is to go to court and try to get them dropped.

Moral of the story... I HATE the DOT

Oh yeah for you guys with DOT numbers that are constantly in out of several states, don't forget about IFTA stickers!!!!

Brian
Old 01-19-2006, 03:48 PM

Ole jim,

Must have been a fews years since you have been driving. Now adays its the drivers right to declare a miss load if hes overweight and have the shipper reload. If the driver gets stopped overweight, its the drivers fault for not weighing or calling a misload at the shipper. Dispatch cant force you to drive, if your out of hours or declare yourself unfit theres nothing they can do. 2 log books for company drivers is impossible these days, they have all gone to QualComm and paperless logs, if a drivers over hours, the computer tells saftety who climbs dispatchs back side and shuts the driver down. As for making $$$, if your not making it, your doing it wrong.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 PM

Brian I agree with you. I have never been asked for anything besides License, registration (tractor and trailer), and occasionally medical card. I don't hate the DOT I know they have a job to do BUT simply looking for certain types of haulers is what I hate. They look for anything that is field loaded. Log haulers, Chip haulers, etc... vehicles that they know weren't weighed after being loaded. I work for a local land clearing company and we get pulled over at least once every couple weeks. By the way this is my daily driver with 1 of our JD 544 loaders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mytruck.jpg (37.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 AM

I'll try to help. The questions about medical certificates, logs, etc only pertain if the vehicle is a qualifying vehicle. So what is a qualifying vehicle?

• A vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 26,000 lbs
• A bus or anything else designed to carry 15 or more passengers
• All vehicles requiring HAZMAT placards
• (and here is the tricky one) A trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs IF/WHEN the gross combined weight rating is more than 26,000 lbs (see the first bullet point)

Now if you drive these vehicles you need a CDL. You can get an intrastate or interstate (gotta be 21 yrs old) CDL. There are also several endorsements you can get or may need. So, if you are getting a Class A license you will need to get the combination endorsement. Most drivers of those qualifying vehicles are required to carry the D.O.T. medical certificate. Some places like MA exempt state employees driving state vehicles for some reason.

Now, here are the Short-Haul Provisions from jjkeller. OTR drivers have different requirements:

Drivers of property-carrying CMVs which do not require a
Commercial Driver’s License for operation and who operate
within a 150 air-mile radius of their normal work reporting
May drive a maximum of 11 hours after coming on duty
following 10 or more consecutive hours off duty.
Are not required to keep records-of-duty status (RODS).
May not drive after the 14th hour after coming on duty 5 days
a week or after the 16th hour after coming on duty 2 days
a week.
Employers must:
Maintain and retain accurate time records for a period of
6 months showing the time the duty period began, ended,
and total hours on duty each day in place of RODS.

Let's talk landscaping or heavy metal.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:33 PM

A clarification: It is my understanding that a driver with a Class B may drive a class b vehicle hauling a trailer with a posted weight (on the manufacturers tag) of less than 10000.

A dump truck with a small flatbed car trailer, cement mixer, tool trailer etc... is permitted. Correct?

The dot that grabbed me explained it to me that way. Thus, my tri-axle, with 6 brakes grossly underloaded is not allowed. My smaller trailer with 4 brakes and loaded right to it's max is legal.
2005 Takeuchi 135
IAFF Local 740

www.atgreene.com