Buffalo Turbine Leaf Blowers - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Buffalo Turbine Leaf Blowers

Anyone out there have any in their arsenal? I saw one on a Walker mower the other day and thought it was pretty slick and was wondering if anyone here has tried one yet.

SIMA since 99

Member: Stainless Users Group

Confidence; the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

January 20th, 2009............The beginning of an Error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-02-2007, 01:23 PM

They work very well, just need to be very careful with them, they can do some major damage to turf. You can clear a golf course fairway in two passes. Get ready to bend over, they run around 8k. A wheel blower with jungle jim caddy works too, and saves alot of coin.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

I was looking at the shaft driven ones that wil go right on the Walker Mower. They only run about $3K.

SIMA since 99

post #4 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 07:10 AM
GSJ

I have had one for about 6 yrs. now. They are an incredible blower. You can actually blow leaves off trees in the late fall by rotating the electric chute straight up. I've never done this at a customers house but have done it at my house. The power rotating chute on it is one of the slickest parts of the machine. You can run along a steep hill and rotate the chute up and blow leaves 20 ft. up a hill. Or you can rotate it to blow the leaves down a hill that might be too steep to operate equipment on. Other than replacing a few bearings and belts we haven't had any real issues with it. It's worth the money just for fall cleanups in my opinion.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Will they move more leaves than one of the bigger low-blow type units? Also how loud are they compared to the same thing?

SIMA since 99

post #6 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
GSJ

There's really no comparison. The Buffalo has about a 12" diameter discharge chute. The volume of air that it moves is unbelievable. It can move a 4' high windrow of dry leaves about 15' per pass. It's hard to explain unless you see it operate. It is alot louder than a push type blower due to it's turbine impeller. It literally sounds like a small jet engine. But I would rather listen to that for an hour than a push blower and two backpacks moving the same leaves for 3 hrs. It does take up more room on a trailer because the turbine sits horizontally and is about 20" long. This thing will do the job of 3 guys with push blowers easily. I've never had a leaf job slow down to the point where I couldn't move the pile any further. That happened alot with other blowers (guys kicking the pile ahead or running mowers into the pile to push it). If you get a chance to see one operate it'll make you laugh it's so powerful. I don't run it as much as I used to but I help friends with large yards 3 acres or so with oak trees. When I'm running the machine, neihbors come out (probably due to the noise) and just stand there and watch in disbelief smiling as they've never seen anything like it. I can't say enough about how impressive this machine is.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

What is yours set up on? Mower? Tractor? Is it powered by it's own engine or is it shaft driven?

SIMA since 99

post #8 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 04:01 AM
GSJ

Originally it was set up on a John Deere front mount. When we retired that unit we retro-fitted it to a scag tiger. It took a little work setting it up but it works well. I wish I had a little more HP engine though. Right now it has a 27HP Kohler on it.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 04:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mark Oomkes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog D View Post
What is yours set up on? Mower? Tractor? Is it powered by it's own engine or is it shaft driven?
You sure ask a lot of questions.

Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.

America was founded by Right-Wing Extremists.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
You sure ask a lot of questions.

Would you prefer I remain ignorant like others?

For $3k for a leaf blower w/o it's own motor, just be happy with only what I'm asking currently.

SIMA since 99

post #11 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSJ View Post
Originally it was set up on a John Deere front mount. When we retired that unit we retro-fitted it to a scag tiger. It took a little work setting it up but it works well. I wish I had a little more HP engine though. Right now it has a 27HP Kohler on it.
Would you not recommend one for a Walker with a 26 HP FI Kohler?

SIMA since 99

post #12 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 08:20 AM
GSJ

I would try one on your unit if possible. Mine was originally made for a JD F932 which had a short PTO shaft that drove the blower. When we put it on the Scag we had to have a PTO shaft made to go from the back of the unit all the way to the blower. The entire PTO shaft is probably 4 1/2 ft. longer than the JD's was. This probably saps some of it's power but only while you're really loading the hydraulics like when you're going up a hill running the blower. But even then if you slow down for a second it powers up pretty quickly.

I would think that the engineers at BT would play with pulley sizes and what not to keep the RPM's up but I don't want to throw money at different pulleys when the machine works really well overall as is.

I talked to a guy at BT years ago who engineered alot of these units and he would probably be able to tell you any specifics that went into engineering one for the Walker. I think his name was Paul. The phone number for BT (hopefully it hasn't changed) is 716-532-2272.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Banned

Anyone ever tried one of these blowers for clearing snow?
post #14 of 15 Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 AM
GSJ

I've played around a little bit in the snow with it. It works good on the fluffy lake effect but the guys prefer to use back pack blowers in those situations. I often wonder how it would work if the discharge was chute was reduced down to 6 or 8 inches. That would be interesting.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 PM

Re: Buffalo Turbine Leaf Blowers

According to some reviews I got from this leaf blower, these turbine units are being used worldwide in a variety of applications. The diverse product line provides its customers with the ability to choose a product that best suits their application and various budgets. This is just so big and I can only imagine how far it will go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode