Best Tires for plowing - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 05:08 PM

Best Tires for plowing

I'm looking for the best all around snow, dirt, mud tire for this upcoming plowing season for my 05 gmc 2500HD. I'm looking to run a 285/75/16, and have ran BFG A/T's in the past, and Mastercraft Courser C/T's in the past on other trucks, with really good luck. I was wondering what your guys opinions are based on what you've used before and such. Thanks very much for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsExcavating View Post
I'm looking for the best all around snow, dirt, mud tire for this upcoming plowing season for my 05 gmc 2500HD. I'm looking to run a 285/75/16, and have ran BFG A/T's in the past, and Mastercraft Courser C/T's in the past on other trucks, with really good luck. I was wondering what your guys opinions are based on what you've used before and such. Thanks very much for now.
IMO, those are three very different conditions requiring three different tires. For snow, I like the Mastercraft MSR. I run them with studs. Plenty of siping, great grip in the snow. BFG AT's are good all around tires. OK in the snow, great in the dirt, OK in the mud. Courser C/Ts would be best in the mud of the three.

Also, 285s are pretty wide for plowing, IMO. I would go with at 255/85.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 PM

I bought a set of 285/75/16 Hankook RF10 ATm 10ply last yr on fleabay for $580.00 free shipping. I figured cool, I get the height, a 10 ply tire and they are under 6 bills. I love these things, buying 2 more sets this yr for the rest of the trucks, they are up to $670 now.
I also mounted them on the stock rims, but needed 6 turns to keep them from rubbing with the plow on.
Dogg 1500 Salter/Boss Wings
SnowDogg XP
Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 PM

we run goodyear wranglers on our entire fleet except the gmc 5500 the wranglers are great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrangler tire.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	23276  
Old 09-30-2009, 01:51 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

This is a great plowing tire . I ran them year round with no issues .
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overv...action/48.html
7' snowman backplow/18" extension
A CAT C9-400HP in back of a big box
Old 09-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
This is a great plowing tire . I ran them year round with no issues .
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overv...action/48.html
Friend of mine used these last year. Very happy with them. If only they made them in 255/85/16.....
Old 09-30-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
Friend of mine used these last year. Very happy with them. If only they made them in 255/85/16.....
I would have them on my Ram now ,if they came in 17"
7' snowman backplow/18" extension
A CAT C9-400HP in back of a big box
Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 PM

I agree with narrowing them up. I plan to take the 285's off my '09 for the winter and go to 235's.

I've run the Coopers (2 sets), the Chaparelles (5 sets) and the Goodyear Workhorse (1 set). All studded. IMHO the Goodyears actually were best, the Chaparelles a close 2nd and the Coopers 3rd.
2005 Takeuchi 135
IAFF Local 740

Facebook: A. T. Greene Excavation & Snowplowing

www.atgreene.com
Old 09-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Definetly narrow,I run 235-85-16's,I've had Cooper ST's,Goodyear workhorse,Goodyear MTR's and i have Goodyear Duratraks sitting in the shop now to put on this season.
I loved the MTR's(ran 2 sets)the workhorse were a close second,the coopers wore better but didn't have the traction of the GY's IMO.The biggest reason i stick with GY is my buddy gets them at State bid cost(dirt cheap)my last set of 4 MTR's was just over $400,that tire went up this year so i'm trying the Duratrac's
Old 09-30-2009, 06:41 PM

I agree with the Hankooks. The RF10s are awesome. I am also putting them on my other trucks this year.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 PM

I prefer Yokohama Geolander A/T after doing MUCH research decided to purchase a set of 31x10.5x15 which get mounted tomorrow...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Commando View Post
I prefer Yokohama Geolander A/T after doing MUCH research decided to purchase a set of 31x10.5x15 which get mounted tomorrow...
I had a set of Yokohama's on my GMC, they were a pretty good tire, but at 24k miles, they were shot.

12 Dodge Cummins Mega Cab,
95 Chevy 2500

Erie Special #97 #123
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
I would have them on my Ram now ,if they came in 17"
I think my friends truck does have 17s. Call your dealer.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutch83 View Post
I had a set of Yokohama's on my GMC, they were a pretty good tire, but at 24k miles, they were shot.
I'd be happy to get that lengh of time from any tire used all year round...
Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreene View Post
I agree with narrowing them up. I plan to take the 285's off my '09 for the winter and go to 235's.

I've run the Coopers (2 sets), the Chaparelles (5 sets) and the Goodyear Workhorse (1 set). All studded. IMHO the Goodyears actually were best, the Chaparelles a close 2nd and the Coopers 3rd.
Dad found a article somewhere that talked about the width of tires affecting traction. The gyst of it is that two tires blown up to the same pressure will have the same footprint on the ground. But the narrower the tire the "longer" the footprint is which is what gives you your forward and rearward force. I don't know actual numbers but if you have two tires that have a foot print of 12 square inches, one that's 6 inches wide will only provide you with 2 inches of forward/rearward area. A tire that's only 4 inches wide would provide you with 3 inches of forward/rearward area hence more traction in those directions.(I know tires that size aren't around but I'm just using them for the numbers).

As for brands all I can say is the ones to stay away from in my opinion. Hakas and Cooper discoverer M&S's.

http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2011/...nal&fr_id=1623
Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM

• Siping- Siping is a great way to improve a tires traction. Siping provides greater tread deformation to the road surface, which is why it is so effective on icy and wet roads. The more the tire can conform to that very slick surface the greater the traction.

Several Real World Examples: (just to show I am not the only one who believes in a narrow tire)

The Turtle Expedition who has literally traveled around the world used a 255/85 R16 (33.3 x 10) for many thousands of miles on their full size Ford. Land Rover uses narrow 7.0 R16 XCL tires in most of their Camel Trophy events. The Rain Forest Challenge and The Trophy challenge have all been won by the aggressive Simex Trekker tire (35x11.00). Tom Sheppard often uses the 7-7.5 R16 Michelin XZL and XCL for many of his expeditions. All very narrow tires in relationship to their height…

The Argument: A tall, narrow tire is a better choice for all off-highway surface conditions with the exception of soft sand, snow and soft mud that's depth exceeds 110% of the vehicles minimum ground clearance. Here is the explanation.

• Contact Pressure: Contact pressure is expressed as the vehicles curb weight distributed over the contact surface of four tires. The contract pressure is not equal to all four tire road surface contact points as the vehicles weight is not perfectly distributed. To ease the description, let's assume that the test vehicle weights 5,000 lbs and has a perfect weight distribution. Each of the vehicles four tires would be creating 1,250 lbs. of vertical pressure on the terrain. Let's assume for the sake of this example that the vehicles tires are 10” wide, where the load and tire pressure results in a total surface area of 30 sq. inches. The total pressure per square inch (without equating the secant) would equal 40 lbs.

Off-highway effects of contact pressure:

Deformation- On a smooth surface (like concrete), a tire gains most of its traction by adhesion. On an irregular surface like granite and boulders, a tires contact patch will deform as a result of vertical pressure. The wider the tire, the less the rubber will deform to the surface irregularity given the same vertical pressure. The greater the deformation, the greater the tires resistance to shearing forces (spinning). This is the strongest argument to using a narrower tire.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreene View Post

Chaperal's are private label BFG's , good tire cant get them here anymore.

Not being bias because iam a cooper dealer but ATRS or the private label Mastercrafts work the best for me. They are a soft compound tire and for example my 450 gets them put on during the winter the Goodyears go back on in the spring.

I use to really like BFG Tko but like many tire companys much of them are being made in China so be careful ...

Alan N has talked about this since the begining of LTS and it holds to be true a Narrow tire is what works best not a wide slush slinger.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:42 AM

Interco TRXUS MT

Has anyone ever used these?

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1

The local off road shop said these are the bomb in snow. Told me he would give me all my money back if I didn't agree. Tires, mount, balance, etc.

The only 255/85/16 tires I have found are BFG MT, which don't look like much of a snow tire to me. Cooper makes one that looks a little better, can't remember which model. And these Intercos.

Has anyone ever siped their own tires?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM

Do all of you guys run 10 ply's on your trucks w/ plows?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickering Snow View Post
Chaperal's are private label BFG's , good tire cant get them here anymore.

Not being bias because iam a cooper dealer but ATRS or the private label Mastercrafts work the best for me. They are a soft compound tire and for example my 450 gets them put on during the winter the Goodyears go back on in the spring.

I use to really like BFG Tko but like many tire companys much of them are being made in China so be careful ...

Alan N has talked about this since the begining of LTS and it holds to be true a Narrow tire is what works best not a wide slush slinger.
I use Chapperals and can get the here in Mass.cheap tire that has been better than many others,
Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM

again, do you guys run 10 plys? And do you have a link to the chapparals?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 PM

You want a tire in the 3000# range. Typically - 235/85/16 and 245/75/16 both carry 3042# at 80PSI on Load Range E ten ply. 265/70/16 carry 2835 at 65PSI on Load Range D eight ply.

You definitely want D/E on that 3/4 ton. Many places won't even install tires that don't have at least the weight rating in the door, or in the book...
Old 10-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
Has anyone ever used these?

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1

The local off road shop said these are the bomb in snow. Told me he would give me all my money back if I didn't agree. Tires, mount, balance, etc.

The only 255/85/16 tires I have found are BFG MT, which don't look like much of a snow tire to me. Cooper makes one that looks a little better, can't remember which model. And these Intercos.

Has anyone ever siped their own tires?
Just saw in Firehouse mag you can get these in a 16 ply.

America was founded by Right-Wing Extremists.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Just saw in Firehouse mag you can get these in a 16 ply.
The Intercos? That would probably be enough for my S-10. Have you run these/any Intercos?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsExcavating View Post
Do all of you guys run 10 ply's on your trucks w/ plows?
I do because of the diesel motors and the heavy plows.
Dogg 1500 Salter/Boss Wings
SnowDogg XP