Battery???? - Page 3 - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 58 Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsborneConstruction View Post
I need to replace the battery in my truck before this winter, as it is starting to act up now. What would you recommend? I will be plowing mostly driveways, and I have a single battery. The company that I have plowed for for the past 10 years usually got deep cycle batteries from Wal-Mart, since they were open 24/7, but they also never seemed to last very long. Thanks for your help.
The reason they didnt last long is you use a deep cycle for Trolling motors or Coach batterys on a camper or fifth wheel, not for starting and plowing.

Pretty much been covered here whats good and whats not . No offense but you dont need a AGM battery to be on top of your game.

Fred Pickering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingHD View Post
Batteries are a costly item on our trucks. Has anyone looked into making the batteries last longer by using a desulphating unit? I have been looking into this for other vehicles. If I can make the batteries last 1 year longer I will pay for this unit in a year.

Might be something to look into. Dont want to steal thread but is a part of battery maintenance most dont look at. Including me. But am looking now.

Dave
I bought a battery charger this one: http://r-charge.com/introducingthere.html

has worked great so far. After 4 recharge cycles it brought back 2 different dead batteries.

One tip I might add, is to recharge your batteries once in awhile. Lots of plowing sometime does NOT let the alt. recharge the battery to a complete charge.

Rick

Veteran United States Marine Corps
Member: American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Marine Corps League and Paralyzed Veterans of America
“For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”
post #53 of 58 Old 09-13-2008, 03:40 AM

battery maintenance

This is a desulphator unit simular to the one I purchased. Yes it has to be run every now and then to take the sulphate off the plates and make it acid.

This will make the batteries last longer, more power in the battery and less batteries being scrapped out. This is a good idea to use these as you can save money on batteries.

I use this on my airplane as the battery has to be at least 80% of designed power when inspected every year to consider the battery airworthy. This allows me to have a battery at 80% of full power or better for a longer period of time. Saving me money and giving increased battery performance.

Dave
www.associated-snow-removal.com
7 Plow trucks
2 bulk Salt trucks
Case Loader
Sidewalk - Labor truck
In business 40 yrs
post #54 of 58 Old 09-13-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingHD View Post
This is a desulphator unit simular to the one I purchased. Yes it has to be run every now and then to take the sulphate off the plates and make it acid.

This will make the batteries last longer, more power in the battery and less batteries being scrapped out. This is a good idea to use these as you can save money on batteries.

I use this on my airplane as the battery has to be at least 80% of designed power when inspected every year to consider the battery airworthy. This allows me to have a battery at 80% of full power or better for a longer period of time. Saving me money and giving increased battery performance.
Which one do you own and how long does it need to be run to be effective?

Chris Kroupa
Landgreen Lawncare
09 F-250 Blizzard 810
04 F-350 PSD, Blizzard 810, 16' Ebling backblade, Sno-way spreader
01 F-250 7.5 Western w/wings, Daniels backblade

http://landgreenlawncare.com
post #55 of 58 Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 AM

battery desulfator

I have a "BatteryMINDer" type charger/maintainer/full time de-sulfator-conditioner that is for airplane batteries. The airplane battery needs to be "floated" at a higher voltage than the auto battery.

It takes up to 5 days to desulfate the battery. This is depending on how bad your battery is sulfated.

Batteries need to be charged at a certain voltage at a certain temperature to charge it the best it can be charged. This unit has a temperature probe on it.

This unit is made to have the connections hooked up to the airplane and you plug it in while it is hangered. This keeps the battery charged then after the charging is done the desulfator turns on and does its job.

I take it and hook it up to trucks, cars, motorcycle and loader also but I dont turn on the aviation maintenance mode. When I hook to plane I turn on this mode to float the battery at a higher level.

With higher costs of fuel I see more vehicles setting more and the plates becomming sulfated. I do see a need for one of these in the future.

Also like I said it extends the battery life of batteries, something that can save ME MONEY, keep the batteries at full charge and keep the batteries from entereing landfills.

Just my view, not for all but with the high cost of batteries, airplane and loader batteries costing 2x what car batteries cost I have saved my self some problems and money.

Dave
7 Plow trucks
2 bulk Salt trucks
Case Loader
Sidewalk - Labor truck
In business 40 yrs
post #56 of 58 Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 AM

I read an article on desulphators but didn't know anybody that has used one. Almost seems too good to be true that an older battery can be revived. I'm thinking of buying one and moving it from truck to truck especially with winter around the corner.

Chris Kroupa
Landgreen Lawncare
09 F-250 Blizzard 810
04 F-350 PSD, Blizzard 810, 16' Ebling backblade, Sno-way spreader
01 F-250 7.5 Western w/wings, Daniels backblade

http://landgreenlawncare.com
post #57 of 58 Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 AM

desulfator usage

The battery companies wont tell you about it because they sell batteries. The auto parts store wont tell you about it because they sell batteries. It is the money trail.

There are 2 ways to desupfate batteries one is chemically and the other is with the electric desulfators we are talking about. Your idea of moving from one truck to another is a good thing. You are getting a lot of bang for your buck. The loader batteries cost me $400 and usually last 3 years, so if I can get them to last another year I have saved $120 in battery costs. The airplane battery is another story, small, lightweight, expensive and has to be at 80% of capacity or the battery is not airworthy. BTW this is only a problem when you have an alternator fail in bad weather and you depend on the battery to run radios to get you to the ground safely. In snow plowing a bad battery can cost you much money in lost time also. A company in our area is building a battery desulfator with a built in "battery health" indicator in it that is both 24 and 12 volt, with a temperature probe. Now that is the one I am going to purchase.

To extend the battery usuful usage time is a good thing from all aspects. If you are a "green" person this also keeps the battery parts that cant be recycled or batteries from being put into a landfill.

In cold weather it is nice to have the engine turn over at a very fast speed from a fully charged battery.

Dave
7 Plow trucks
2 bulk Salt trucks
Case Loader
Sidewalk - Labor truck
In business 40 yrs
post #58 of 58 Old 11-12-2016, 10:29 AM

I use optimas. But I think that it is the best one. There are other batteries doing well.
citywide sweeping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode