I want to mount my strobe in my stake pocket - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-24-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I want to mount my strobe in my stake pocket

I have a good Federal strobe that I use. Modified it to be mag mount and it stays where I want it to. I would like to either purchase or make a stake pocket mount that has a threaded nipple on the end to mount my light on. I think its silly that there does not to be anything available to do this that doesn't involve buying a Back Rack for hundreds of dollars.

I don't have the means to do my own fab and a ripped 2x4 just screams TACKY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Pelican
It might be tacky but it works. I did the same thing to mount a temporary rear flood light on one of my pickups. I carved a piece of 2x to fit snugly in the pocket and installed a 2 pin plug in the bedside connected to a switch in the cab. When it snowed I popped it in, removed it after the storm. Wasn't pretty but it worked.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Unless your out trying to pick up women when your plowing, take function over form. Besides, I assume your not making these posts 3' long. Most people will probably not notice. Paint them to match your truck if your worried.

Lucky number nine
Ronsasphalt@sbcglobal.net
Smarter with what I have.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 PM

I've made several of these over the years we called it the robot light stand. I took a hollow square tube about 1 1/2 square welded a flat plate on it and about 6 inches below the top plate welded a piece of angle iron to mount a couple of universal tractor lights to. He wired it up to plug into the trailer light plug. If you make one of your own you want to make sure that what ever height you put it at it won't flash into your mirrors and blind you all night.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by towmonster View Post
I've made several of these over the years we called it the robot light stand. I took a hollow square tube about 1 1/2 square welded a flat plate on it and about 6 inches below the top plate welded a piece of angle iron to mount a couple of universal tractor lights to. He wired it up to plug into the trailer light plug. If you make one of your own you want to make sure that what ever height you put it at it won't flash into your mirrors and blind you all night.
Thanks for the input towmonster... and thank you for the other input from everyone else who has responded. I am trying my best to keep my costs down. Still building the business and most of my capital went into the truck and plow. (have some reserve in the rainy day fund to cover repairs etc)

I will have to see if one of my buddies who is welding literate can make me up something.

The wood will work too. I just want it to not look like a piece of wood stuck in it.

I think its odd that with the proliferation of stake pocket mounts for CBs and Ham radio antennae that someone doesn't have something that a piece of NPT could be mounted to.

Guess my biggest issue is I do not have the skills necessary, nor the equipment to fab it myself. So guess am gonna have to do the 2x thing.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM

If budget is your driver, but a big magnet and attach to the light using RTV or your threaded pipe. You will eventually want to consider a headache rack, but they range from several to a few hundred dollars.

Post a photo of the light and we'll see what other ideas flow.

Peter Beering, JD
BEERING ENTERPRISES, INC.
Solving Difficult Problems for Clients for 25 Years
Order here: www.Beering.biz
post #7 of 13 Old 03-03-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Here it is. I had it in my head it was Federal but is ECCO. Have a magnet mounted to the bottom of it. But is a pipe mount base. Put a piece of flexible plastic between magnet and roof of truck. Light stays still. 2 years and it is holding up well.

Country driveways mostly. Long and pop out on dark roads so I use it while backing out into roads for second or third passes.

I like the idea of 2 prong for power. Currently it goes thru door to lighter socket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	27993  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

well my post DID have a picture with it when I looked at it after posting last night and now the image is gone? what the heck is going on with this site. Be nice to get some kind of feedback from the system or the mod if there was an issue with the image. It was a picture of a strobe light.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 PM

This version of Vbulletin behaves differently. I saw your picture.

I would hard wire the light to a 2 pin trailer plug and use the magnet on the roof.

Peter Beering, JD
BEERING ENTERPRISES, INC.
Solving Difficult Problems for Clients for 25 Years
Order here: www.Beering.biz
post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM

I know this post is a bit old but what about a piece of wood that fits in stake pocket and is flush with the bed rail. Then get one of those flanges with three mounting holes and screw it to the wood. Then screw in a piece of pipe then the strobe. Wire it however you like.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

That is probably what I am going to end up doing.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2016, 03:10 AM

Did you ever get your strobe mounted?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-26-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1 View Post
Did you ever get your strobe mounted?
Nope...still sitting on the roof with a magnet...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode