hydraulic clutch adjustment??? - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Question hydraulic clutch adjustment???

how do i adjust hydraulic clutch for 86 k-10 ,it has about 4 inches of play in the clutch peddle ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 04:31 PM

Pretty sure on my S15 with hydro clutch there is no adjustment. This should be similar, I would think. Make sure the fluid level is up and I think there is a bleeder fitting on the slave cylinder on the bellhousing. Bleed it like you would brake cylinders.

1982 GMC K35 Dually Dump w/9'-2" BOSS V
1978 Chevy K30 Dually Dump w/9'-2" BOSS V & Flink V-box
1986 Chevy K30 Dually w/8' Fisher
1990 GMC S15 4x4 w/6'-6" BOSS V & Western Pro-Flo2 Spreader
1990 GMC C30 Dually
Old 11-01-2004, 04:43 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator

It is non-adjustable.Either you have a hydraulic system problem,or a clutch problem.It is most likely the hydraulics.

Get a complete assy from GM.It comes in one piece,already full of fluid.Just install and go.No bleeding involved.

Some parts stores will sell you individual parts,but it's not worth it.Once one thing goes,it contaminates the whole system.Bleeding is a PITA,if not impossible.Buy the dealer setup,and skip the headaches.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:08 AM

how much play in the clutch peddle should I have? I know on non-hydro clutch setups I usually alowed around 1.5 inchs.

second - what do you mean by a "complete setup". what would this include and approx how much would this cost.

btw - I just bought this truck and the guy told me he recently put a new clutch in it.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:31 AM

The hydraulic style clutch should have almost zero freeplay.This is just due to the design of the system.It is non-adjustable.

The complete system consists of the clutch master cylinder,the slave cylinder,and the hydraulic line connecting the two.It will come all assembled,and pre-bled.You just install it and go.

You would have to check with your local GM dealer on price.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:30 AM

Chris - I took another look a the clutch master,slave, and hose.
Didn't see anything wet(leaking). I did notice the fluid in the master looked very light(maybe new ???). I did call New Hampshire's largest GM dealer - was told these 3 parts are only sold seperately for about $325. Was also told shoud be pretty easy to bleed. Anyway as I said I have about 4" of clutch peddle play right now - I think I'll try bleeding the system myself and see if I can remove some of the play and see how long it last before I start replacing stuff cause I still have the "popping out second gear" issue to deal with as well.

thanks for all your help
Old 11-03-2004, 07:45 AM

They will not usually leak externally.The seals get worn,and they bypass internally.causing the low pedal.If they do leak,it's usually at the back of the master,which would be visible under the dash at the clutch pedal push rod.They will also suck air in here too.

You may be able to bleed,and get some of the pedal back,but it usually goes away again real quick.You may get lucky,maybe they got air into it when they changed the clutch,and didn't bleed properly.

I just checked on the part(s),and you are correct.They are available separatly.Most of them are now serviced as one complete unit,but this one isn't.