Which plow is THE best? - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Which plow is THE best?

Hi. I have scoured this site, as well as some other sites, trying to determine which plow is the absolute best one. There is a lot of good to be said for just about every plow brand, and some negative talk as well. I have been running an old '88 chev with a garden variety meyer plow for several years. That poor old truck is starting to feel its age and I want to relegate it to the back burner now as a backup only plow.

The meyer has been a decent old plow for the most part. But the curved braces that run behind the mold board always rust out because they are stupidly made of angle iron instead of just a flat plate, so they all hold water and rot out the mold board. I'm sure you guys know exactly what I"m talking about since they all do it. So I'm not interested in a new meyer for that reason alone.

I bought a 2004 chev 2500HD and want to hang a new plow on it. From what I can tell, because it's noticeably cheaper to buy than most, the snowdogg looks like a good choice, but I'm not sure.

So I'm wondering what you all think is the best brand of plow....period. Cost not being an issue. I am interested in knowing which plow is the toughest, best performing plow on the market.

Secondly, I've never had a V plow, so I'd like to know what the big deal is with them. What makes them superior to a straight blade. Is it just because when they're angled forward to make the V they move more snow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Ok I said I'd scoured this site looking for the best plow, but I had never looked at the poll sections. I saw it but didn't realize it had discussions in it as well.

So now that I've read through that it looks like the blizzard is the plow to have. Yes? No?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

If you go with a Blizzard, make sure it's a pre-Douglas Dynamics model. DD came in and made sure they'd have the same quality and reputation as their other two product lines....

Luckily, 15 years ago when my UniMount was built, they were still of decent quality.

2008 Chevy TBSS -LS2 6.0, AWD, Not a winter vehicle...
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD -Blizzard 810PP, SnowEx 575 SOLD
2003 Chevy 2500HD D/A -Western 7'6" UniMount
1991 Chevy Silverado 4x4 - Summer toy-3-linked Dana 60, 14FF, 38.5x11 Boggers SOLD
Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Well I'm looking at new plows. So I'd be getting whatever they have on the market today. There aren't a lot of good used plows around these parts. When they come available they're usually sold right away. I've missed out on some good deals.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 AM

Welcome to LTS Buddinator. The answer to your question will depend on what type of plowing you'll be doing (driveways......parking lots......roads), how much snow you normally plow (2-4 inches or 1-2 feet), and what the best dealer in your area handles with regard to service and parts in stock.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:14 PM

Welcome

Well you first say SnowDogg because its cheaper, then say money isnt a issue so which is it.

Personal opinion and nothing against SD its just most here have shared real world results with new plows bought and i cant say i have read any posts that would make SnowDogg my first choice.

Like Steve says alot will depend on what kind of jobs your doing were your at in Canada i dont see that area much diff in snow fall rates has here in Mi.

I have ran Blizzard power plows , a XLS and many Westerns a couple Meyers and FYI your comments on Meyer are based off a older meyer they have done a complete 180 on design and warr and would not rule them out anymore.

One thing about Blizzard the comments your reading are based mostly on Erie modded Blizzards and pre DD keep in mind the way they have redesigned the PL2 Blizzard 810 you might has well just look into a XLS or Wipeout if your thinking a Power plow since thats about what a new Blizzard is anymore. Has for V Plows my opinion Boss wins in this area although i really like the new Meyer Commerial V because it carrys a Muni attack style board now. So alot of choices.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:58 PM

Yeah I guess the cost issue sounded confusing. Cost is not really an issue within reason. A new 8.5 meyer V plow is $8800. The same Snowdogg (at the same dealer) is $7400. So it's $1400 cheaper. Those are installed, out the door prices. Also, there's a company 4 hours away who is selling that same snowdogg for $5650 taxes in, not installed. If I paid $400 or so for someone to install it I'd still only be at $6000 or so, but I'd have to drive 4 hours away for warranty work. So like one guy said somewhere, if the snowdogg is just as good as a meyer or any other decent brand, then why not save a lot and get one? The question then would be...is a snowdogg as good as any other brand?

As for me ruling out a meyer, I didn't know that meyer changed that design. Shows you how little I know. Other than that issue, I can't complain about the old meyer. Has needed all kinds of repairs over the years, but keeps on pushing snow.

Last season I dropped most of my commercial parking lots because I wasn't sure I could trust my old truck to make it through the season. Upsetting driveway customers is one thing, but upsetting commercial customers who NEED their driveways done by 7 AM is another. So now that I've finally broken down and bought a newer truck I'll get more commercial lots back. So I'll be doing both. And we plow anything from 2" up to a couple of feet during the worst storms.

We got our first snow today. Not enough to plow, but it's coming. LOL. My old '88 is stuck in first gear. I'm dropping it off at a tranny shop tonight, but I need to pick a plow for the new truck real soon. LOL
Old 11-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Just not my day I think. Went to take the truck to the tranny shop and the brake pedal sunk to the floor. Blew a brake line. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:32 PM

if you have to deal with 2ft of snow then a v plow will really help you out. if that only happens once a year then a power plow will really help you clear the snow fast. you can carry alot of snow and even carry it around corners.
personally i have a boss, which has been very good to me. it has gone through 2 years of me learning how to plow and what not to do and 4 years of hard commericial use. for the past 2 years i no longer plow full time and only do a couple of really small jobs.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM

There are tons of good choices out there......Dealer support should be at the top of your list of reasons for a certain plow, thats for sure. But FWIW, I have a sub that just bought a Snow Dogg 9ft straight plow. I will say that looking over this plow, it seems well built, and for $4700 otd (w/ a backdrag edge) I dont see any other company out there that is priced like that.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 AM

There is no one plow that is "The Best". If there were, that's what all of us would be using. There are certain plows that are better for certain situations. For all around versatility, I think the Vee plow is best. Once you know what basic style you want - Vee, power plow, straight blade - Dealer support is most important. You could have the coolest plow with the most features, or pay the best price, but none of that matters if the plow breaks down and you can't get parts/service...
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickering Snow View Post
I have ran Blizzard power plows , a XLS and many Westerns a couple Meyers and FYI your comments on Meyer are based off a older meyer they have done a complete 180 on design and warr and would not rule them out anymore.

One thing about Blizzard the comments your reading are based mostly on Erie modded Blizzard
s and pre DD keep in mind the way they have redesigned the PL2 Blizzard 810 you might has well just look into a XLS or Wipeout if your thinking a Power plow since thats about what a new Blizzard is anymore. Has for V Plows my opinion Boss wins in this area although i really like the new Meyer Commerial V because it carrys a Muni attack style board now. So alot of choices.
I wouldn't usually disagree with you Fred, but I think even out of the box, the blizzard is still a better option. I think the Erie special takes a good plow and makes it better in terms of ease of service, longevity/wear, etc, and addresses areas that should have been addressed from the factory. I also bring this up as I, along with Steve and Johnny D, off the top of my head, have been Blizzard users prior to the Erie Special offering, myself since 2001, starting with a 99 I ran till last year.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
There is no one plow that is "The Best". If there were, that's what all of us would be using. There are certain plows that are better for certain situations. For all around versatility, I think the Vee plow is best. Once you know what basic style you want - Vee, power plow, straight blade - Dealer support is most important. You could have the coolest plow with the most features, or pay the best price, but none of that matters if the plow breaks down and you can't get parts/service...
What he said !
Old 11-30-2009, 05:47 AM

There are different ways to measure the "best" depending upon your "business" mind.

Some people like to minimize the hassles with breakdown, maintenance and normal wear and tear parts as a key part of their business model. For them, and I'll call them "Cost Minded", they measure the worth of a plow and their profitability by how many dollars it takes to keep it going. A grenaded $400 Smartlock cylinder or pump rebuild can send them around the bend for the afternoon.

Others, and I call them "Revenue Minded", look at the revenue side of their business, and they tie revenue directly with profit. They are prepared to accept some maintenance and downtime because they push the plow unit to produce revenue - the production more than justifies the expense in repairs, and those expenses are expected. The replacement of the same Smartlock or pump rebuild is seen as an "Oh well, I got pretty good service from those parts...."

28 years ago, I was solidly in the first camp because I had no money, started with a well-worn used plow and no customers. It wasn't long before I moved over the the Revenue camp. Experience over the years has helped me to be Cost Minded in the purchases (buy the right rig for the conditions), but the overall goal is revenue through production. You can't count or spend what you don't make.

I suppose that the Best would be the full combing of the above, but I don't think it exists.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere John View Post
I suppose that the Best would be the full combing of the above, but I don't think it exists.
As I sit here refilling my coffee and missing the timeout period to edit my post, I realized that Jerre's Erie Special treatment to the Blizzards is a good example of trying to maximize revenue while reducing long-term cost. Just wanted to add that.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere John View Post
There are different ways to measure the "best" depending upon your "business" mind.

Some people like to minimize the hassles with breakdown, maintenance and normal wear and tear parts as a key part of their business model. For them, and I'll call them "Cost Minded", they measure the worth of a plow and their profitability by how many dollars it takes to keep it going. A grenaded $400 Smartlock cylinder or pump rebuild can send them around the bend for the afternoon.

Others, and I call them "Revenue Minded", look at the revenue side of their business, and they tie revenue directly with profit. They are prepared to accept some maintenance and downtime because they push the plow unit to produce revenue - the production more than justifies the expense in repairs, and those expenses are expected. The replacement of the same Smartlock or pump rebuild is seen as an "Oh well, I got pretty good service from those parts...."

28 years ago, I was solidly in the first camp because I had no money, started with a well-worn used plow and no customers. It wasn't long before I moved over the the Revenue camp. Experience over the years has helped me to be Cost Minded in the purchases (buy the right rig for the conditions), but the overall goal is revenue through production. You can't count or spend what you don't make.

John, exceptionally well said, IMO.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:43 PM

You guys sure know your stuff. I guess picking the best plow boils down to exactly what you've been saying....which one is best for what I'm going to do, as well as which dealer will provide good service. At this point I'd like to do mostly driveways, with maybe 3 or 4 medium sized parking lots. I think an 8' straight blade will be fine for me. Doing driveways means a lot of back blading. So something with a back blading edge would be awesome.

So a big name plow, that is sold locally by a reputable dealer is the answer. So here are my choices. These are all 8', straight plows and the prices include taxes and installation:

Meyer $7084.
Arctic $7119.
Snowdogg $6760.
Boss $6780.
Blizzard $6723.
Blizzard speedwing $7571.
Blizzard Powerplow $9040.

These ones are 8.5 V plows:

Meyer $8807.
Snowdogg $7400.

The Meyer/snowdogg dealer is a well respected one who is widely known for good service, and happens to be only a couple of minutes from my shop. So assuming I go with this dealer, I can take the Meyer, with the good reputation, or the Snowdogg, which is stainless steel. Also, I can get the snowdogg V plow for only $316 more than the Meyer straight blade.

Hmm....
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Can you get a Sno-Way? They offer down pressure, which is great for doing driveways.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM

I just checked the sno-way site for a local retailer and there isn't one. The nearest one is 3 hours away. Down pressure would be great. But I think maybe a back blading scaping edge would be good enough. Which brands have that?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddinator View Post
But I think maybe a back blading scaping edge would be good enough. Which brands have that?
Not sure if Meyer offers a "factory" backdrag edge?.....The Snow Dogg dealer here, is installing Western backdrag edges on the Snow Doggs. Was told Snow Dogg dosent offer a backdrag edge?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow dogg 001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	23852   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow dogg 006.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	23853  
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM

i was told by john kidd that the design of the arctic dont need a backdrag edge. i think the weight and the steep attack angle are what help backdraging. My arctic does a great backdraging.

Ferrera Fence and Deck

2004 GMC 2500HD Diesel 9' Arctic
2001 GMC 2500HD Diesel 9' Arctic with pro wings
2002 GMC 2500HD Gas 8' Arctic
1999 GMC 3500 Diesel 9' Arctic
1999 CASE Skid Steer 7'6" Fisher
1999 FORD F-550 7.3L PSD 15' Flatbed
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 AM

The only plow I've ever used is the old meyer I have. I've been using it for about 5 years. It's back blading ability is a joke to say the least. If the snow is heavy and wet it will leave at least 4 or 5 inches sitting there. And I can back blade it till doomsday and it won't take off a single bit. Today I'm going to check into that issue with the dealers.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddinator View Post
If the snow is heavy and wet it will leave at least 4 or 5 inches sitting there.
One of the slickest tricks I was taught dealt with this problem really well.

Make your initial backdrag, and them proceed to scrape the same area going forward to loosen up that last 4-5 inches. Don't push the resulting pile all the way to the front of the area of being cleared, but stop 4-5 feet short, and lift your blade up over the pile. Then drop your plow on the other side of the pile, and backdrag. The pile should come back with little problem.

If need be, take small "Bites", so that the piles don't become too large to backdrag. Sure it takes time, but at least you're getting the area clean.

A few GMC's

A few plows and salters - Boss & Blizzard, Salt-Doggs & s/s v-boxes

Erie #22, #55, #88, #121, #127
Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 AM

I was back dragging this morning with my Blizzard 810 in the 10 foot position in wet heavy snow about 50 feet and all I saw was blacktop in one single pass
Harder Electri-Spread SS v box
1946 Oshkosh W-307 12' Viking one way, 8' Frink V
Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 PM

i have a snowdogg its built like a tank and i like it but in my opinion after using several different brands i would say that boss is the highest quality and the fastest