'59 FWD with Boss V-Plow - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM

'59 FWD with Boss V-Plow

Here's a picture of one of my projects. Still need to do some modifying to the plow mount. Got the plow from a neighbor who wasn't using it - it's old but so far it checks out OK and all the hydraulics seem to work fine. I should've washed the truck and put the hood side panels back on for the photo but it still needs some work. The plow won't be used for much commercial work, we live in an unincorporated area with no county snow removal so we have to do our own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Nice looking rig! Pic whores are hungry.....
2005 Takeuchi 135
IAFF Local 740

Facebook: A. T. Greene Excavation & Snowplowing

www.atgreene.com
Old 09-21-2009, 06:32 PM

i hope you realize you have a lot more truck than that plow can handle.......... you better sell off that plow and get a real plow on it.. so you dont have to fix it after you start working the truck a "little"
Harder Electri-Spread SS v box
1946 Oshkosh W-307 12' Viking one way, 8' Frink V
Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjoker View Post
i hope you realize you have a lot more truck than that plow can handle.......... you better sell off that plow and get a real plow on it.. so you dont have to fix it after you start working the truck a "little"
Yeah, I know. It won't get used a whole lot and I'll be the only driver and I plan on taking it real slow and easy. No curbs here to worry about, but the roads are not paved and pretty bumpy. I do have a "real" plow but no real plow hydraulics or mount so this is what I ended up with.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 AM

please list pics. of all 4 sides
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 AM

John,

I'll post some more pics in a day or so. Right now I have the plow off so that I can finish the mount attachment. It's an older Boss V plow where the hydraulics and headlights stay attached to the truck.

The truck belonged to the state of California at one time and had plow mounts on it but it was too much trouble to adapt them so I took them off and started from scratch. The old mounts were the kind where the front mount is supported vertically only and old school hotrod style radius rods ran back to the middle of the frame to provide thrust load support.

Got the truck for free from a retired contractor neighbor. I'd seen it in his yard for years and it looked so bad I thought it'd burned in a fire, but it was just old oxidized paint made it look that way. Had to repair the front driveshaft, replace some of the brake parts, plus fix some fender rust. That was about it, other than a lot of cleaning, paint and tires. I wanted the truck to haul gravel with and sort of fell into the plow from another neighbor.

The motor is an IHC gasoline fired Red Diamond 450 inline 6. After setting so many years the oil was kind of like spaghetti sauce but after draining and flushing it a couple of times it seems to be fine. Has good oil pressure, doesn't smoke and starts and runs OK. Fuel is expensive, but then I don't use it much. And still cheaper and more fun than paying someone to deliver gravel.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator

Walt, it sounds like he might be able to answer some of your engine questions....
Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreene View Post
Nice looking rig! Pic whores are hungry.....
Ditto.

Pictures of the scenery would be great as well.

America was founded by Right-Wing Extremists.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Walt, it sounds like he might be able to answer some of your engine questions....
Being new here I'm not sure who Walt is and I'm a long way from being an RD guru but I do have a semblance of a shop manual that partly covers the RD motors and I'd be happy to try and answer any questions.