Snowplow Forums banner

Move a Boss plow from a 02 Chevy to a 06 GMC I have questions

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GMCHD4x4 
#1 ·
OK the weather locally is really warm so I'm going to swap the plow this weekend. From a 2002 Chevy HD to a 2006 GMC HD now I have never done this before but I know my way around the trucks and wiring. I also know the 02 Chevy Boss harness will work on the 06 GMC, now is the harness a plug and play or is there direct wires I will have to cut and splice ?

Thanks
Greg

#2 ·
Gregg, Bad news on the wiring, It's not plug and play on all of them. You may get away with just the plug flip on the red/white plug but if the harness is off of and older than 02 originally you may need a different harness due to some wiring conflicts.

The frame may be a problem too. IF the frame that went on the 02 was not a new style frame the plow may sit too close to the truck due to the change in the bumper.

Good luck and hope it goes smoothly.

Jerre

#3 ·
The only problem I know of and had it myself is with the headlights. The 02's are positive ground systems and the 06's are negative ground. When I was swapping from the 06' to the 02' I had to turn (180 degrees) the connectors around. Instead of A being A, A was actually B or B was A. You'll understand once you look at the connector.

You'll know as soon as it wired and you pop the 15amp fuses for the headlights (box under hood) if you have it incorrect. There are 2 seperate fuses for the headlights. 1 for RS and 1 for LS. I popped the fuses 4 times before I got it right.

Other than that everything is the same. We just did a 01' Chevy 2500HD to a 2006 GMC 2500HD with a Boss V. You will have to notch the valance on the GMC for the frame to fit.

Oh yeah, remove and reuse the connectors for the turnsignals, don't just cut the wire. Been there done that :headwall

#5 ·
Jerre's advice on the frames was also my experience. I was moving a 2000 kit to a 2005 at the time, and had to modify the kit to move it forward about 1 and 1/4 inches IIRC.

Take a few measurements of your kit vs a known new kit, or
1) you'll end up installing it,
2) pushing your license plate in when you try to power up the tower the first time,
3) then taking it off,
4) having a beer,
5) swear a few times,
6) and then get the grinder, chop saw and welder going to fix it.

Then, enjoy another beer as you admire your handiwork and watch the paint dry.

John

#6 ·
The beer parts sounds good to me :drinkup

Deere John said:
Jerre's advice on the frames was also my experience. I was moving a 2000 kit to a 2005 at the time, and had to modify the kit to move it forward about 1 and 1/4 inches IIRC.

Take a few measurements of your kit vs a known new kit, or
1) you'll end up installing it,
2) pushing your license plate in when you try to power up the tower the first time,
3) then taking it off,
4) having a beer,
5) swear a few times,
6) and then get the grinder, chop saw and welder going to fix it.

Then, enjoy another beer as you admire your handiwork and watch the paint dry.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.