Looking for info on old Western plow - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Looking for info on old Western plow

Greetings all,

I'm new to plowing and am just someone who wants to keep the 1000' driveway clean this winter. I recently bought an older plow mounted on a 1969 GMC. The previous owner told me he thought it was a Meyer, but after sending them some pics, someone at Meyer told me it was definitely a Western plow. I'm looking for any information I can find on the pump and the hydraulics (tech data, manual, etc). The pump has a tag on it which reads "MEZ 7002" and some internet searching leads me to believe it was made by Prestolite. I can't find any ID #'s on the blade or hydraulics.

I've attached a few pics, maybe someone can identify it/help out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1240.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	25339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	25340  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Plow

Its definitely a Western old cable unit. Its a great power unit when working properly. Here's the link to Westerns website for the manual. http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/13497_020088.pdf
Good luck
Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 AM

Yep, looks like a Western cable controlled unit to me. The Blade is a Western too, old style probably pre 1981. I'm guessing the controller is a T-handle but could be a joystick. As mentioned above Westerns web site should have most of the literature you are looking for.

I have had several of these conventional mount cable operated plows and have had really good luck with them. I have one now as a matter of fact on my 99 K2500.

Probably a good idea to at least drain and refill the pump unit and flush the angle rams rams on the blade and replace with actual plow fluid (not transmission fluid).
Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 AM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I went to the Western site, but I realized I had no idea what type/model of plow it was so I didn't know where to start looking. I'm not sure what a "T-handle" is, but the control appears to be a joystick.

The previous owner had the pump rebuilt a few weeks ago because the blade wouldn't lower, so I'm guessing it was flushed and filled while at the shop. The pdf manual above states to use ATF or SAE 10W non-detergent motor oil. I'm guessing there is something better I should be using? Is there a specific brand/name or is it just called hydraulic fluid for plows?

I think I found a good thread on how to flush the rams somewhere around here. I bet that hasn't been done in a couple of years. I'll check into it.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 AM

Not sure what year the changeover was but earlier controls on those cable operated Western units were a T-handle and newer ones the joy sticK. No matter they both work fine.

Good deal that your pump has been rebuilt. You can use ATF for fluid and many people do but the specific plow fluid is designed for low temps and will be a lighter viscosity than ATF which is helpful when it's really cold. I just buy Western brand fluid from the local dealer.

Chuck (who started this site and owner of Smith Bros. Plow Parts see banner at top of page) had videos I believe on youtube as well for flushing the rams.

Tags
mez 7002 western