hand held control wont work - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 PM

hand held control wont work

Plow was working fine earlier tonight. went to go back to plowing the blade raised up once but now wont do anything. every time i try to use hand held control it turns of the power to the control i have a 94 dodge 1500 i tried a different contol and still same problem i checked the fuses and still no luck. any help or advice will greatly accepted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 04:04 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Good idea to try another (known working I hope) controller. I have fisher, but I'd check where there is a wire going into the truck cab fuse box. Is it tight and clean? I'd check the inline fuses in the harnesses under the hood, are they good? I'd check the ground on the plow, not so obvious on the fisher, to the rear of the pump box, is it clean and tight and greased? I'd pull the cover off the pump housing and check the solenoid. They just die, occasionally an intermittent death. Try to jump past it and see if the pump runs.

I'm not a mechanic, I just try the obvious weak points, and I've not even seen a western plow. I do know how frustrating it can be when it won't function. Perhaps someone who knows something will add some ideas.

Guess you ought to check the pins where the controller hooks up also, I've never had a problem there, but who knows?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:46 PM

Went back to the basics on this one. I connected everything the way it should be, and started from there. check the fuses both 7.5 and 10 amp fuse and both are good. So i started to unhook the plugs and went from there. I unplugged the two prong plug and the controller would keep power but still would not operate the plow but i could still hear what i think is the solenoid trying the work. the whole thing will go to the dealer on monday morning
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM

If your sure your getting 12 volts to the controller you need to check your "grounds" at the battery....
If you have a poor ground to the power unit it will make the controller shut off and cause the solenoid not to to operate as it is grounded at the battery also.. (or should be)
Don't just look and see if it's loose either, use a wrench and be sure it has a good connection.
John...
SaltDogg & SnowEx Spreaders: FallLine Edges:
Sales & Service
plowtec@hotmail.com
847-998-9557
Old 12-19-2009, 03:28 PM

thanks for the advice i am going to work on it in the morning i will let u know how it turns out thanks again
Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 PM

controller trouble

I have heard that Western is having trouble with the handheld controllers and they aren't standing behind them. My boss has one and today I plowed with it and had trouble also. The thing I found out is that the wires on the front of the plow weren't tight and then I unplugged the controller and checked the pins and replugged it and it started working great. Good luck...