Unimount slow to raise/angle - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Unimount slow to raise/angle

Guys,
Finally got to plow on friday. After a while ( couple of hours) plow is raising and angling slowly and drawing amp gauge way down.
I have a 98 gmc 1500, with dual batteris and a 100 amp alternator. Lifts and raises well at first but the longer I use it the slower it gets. Still works but, slow and draws more amps than I remember from last year.
I put a new motor on 3 years ago, pump has not been repalced since I've owned it for 5 years. Plow is approx 10-12 years old. Fluid was changed as well as the filter cleaned and is just leaking out of the fill check, connections were cleaned as well as I could. Wires "look" good. I'm thinking the motor is going. Could it be the pump? I do not want to just throw parts at it, but I am willing to put parts into it as it really owes me nothing. So how would I test the electric motor and pump in my driveway?

Sorry for the long post, trying to give as much info as I can.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
98 CR 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Drain the oil out then pull the motor and check the screen again. Then you can manually spin the pump and see if its hard to turn. I am having issues with my one unimount too, wont pull the plow up off the ground, or turn. Acts like its not getting any oil. I am stumped on it... Both hoses pump oil out. But she dont seem to be making the pressure needed. On my other unimount it did what your describing and I serviced it in november, and the filter was full of crap from the cylinders packing coming apart...
Harder Electri-Spread SS v box
1946 Oshkosh W-307 12' Viking one way, 8' Frink V
Old 02-25-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks,I'll try it when I get home.
Good luck with your problem, let us know what you find.
98 CR 250
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 AM

As I posted in the Urgent forum, needed S1 & S3 cartridges and S1 coil.
98 CR 250
Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 PM

I've had the same thing on an older unimount when it sits in the very cold for a while. Motor turns with very little resistance it seems but nothing is happening. I've pulled the motor and turned the pump with a drill and all seems to work fine. Put the motor back on and it works.?? Since then, I've been pouring a couple five gallon pails of hot water over the whole pump housing and it seems to free everything up. I've changed filter, fluid, pump and connections and it still does it. Could it be the fluid we're using? I've been using Dextron II transmission fluid.

A
Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 AM

If everything works great at first then gradually slows down probably a case of not enough alternator. You run out of battery depth.

100 amps are not enough to replace the consent drain plowing places on the batteries.

Have your alternator, and batteries tested. Check the following things
How much voltage is the alternator producing?
How many amps is the motor drawing?
What amp hour rating do the batteries have?

Your local alternator rebuild shop can probably rebuild your’s to a higher spec if not you can get one from Napa, auto zone or any of those places.

You should be running someone's (western, Meyer, fisher, Snoway, boss, artic blue) premium plow type Hydraulic fluid in the uni and ultra mounts. Dextron worked great in the old cable pumps but it doesn’t make it in the newer electric valve controlled pumps. Its viscosity increases greatly has the temperature lowers, it will cause slower action and draw more amperage to operate, the pump becomes harder to spin so the motor works harder
Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Sponsor

First one

You probably have a bad set of brushes in the motor and it's full of crud. Probably a bad head and or base bushing. For the price of a motor replace the thing after you take the top cap off and find all the crud.

It works good at first so the Pump is good. Run low temp fluid in it and change it every year and you will do fine.

AS for the Cartriges and coil. What's up with the old ones. Have all the parts if you want them shipped out.

Second one,

AMason, did it ever occur to you that you might have a frozen up pump. All that hot water isn't helping things in the long term just the immediate short term as it keeps introducing moisture to the system. Also in Ontario your temps drop down and Dextron runs like molasses at the temps you get. Replace with meyer blue or low temp west/fisher/blizzard oil.

DON'T FORGET TO DO THE CYLINDERS ALSO

“Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?”[Eleanor Roosevelt]

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible. D.K. PhD

If you can’t do what I do, as well as I do, don’t tell me what to do. Mike Coombs

Why Carry a Pistol....Because a Policeman is too heavy....
Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Jerre,
Don't know what happend with the old cartridges, western tech said they are shot so I say repalce. I am relying on my dealer for my fixes. I will check the motor for crud this year, sounds like it is the cause. Now that I think about it, I replace a few cartridges a plow season and I only plow a few storms here in the Philly burbs.
Thank you!!!!
98 CR 250
Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 AM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Sponsor

You might want to drain the cyls and unit and put em in a box via UPS up to us. Sounds like the system is contaminated. Unfortunately pulling down the whole unit can be a PITA. J

“Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer Was I Worth Dying For?”[Eleanor Roosevelt]

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible. D.K. PhD

If you can’t do what I do, as well as I do, don’t tell me what to do. Mike Coombs

Why Carry a Pistol....Because a Policeman is too heavy....