Western UltraMount Removal Question. - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
LetsTalkSnow.com - Addict

Question Western UltraMount Removal Question.

On a Western UltraMount, do you still push the liftarm all the way down before removing the plow from the truck? I havent removed mine since I got it put on, I dont drive the truck daily. My friend with a 8' Pro Plow UltraMount doesnt push his all the way down though, which is why Im asking. He just drops the plow on the ground and then disconnects it. He said if you push the head gear all the way down, the plow will lean forward and the feet wont be on the ground correctly. I think hes wrong, but I do see what hes saying...looking at his plow by itself, it does seem that if you pushed down on the liftarm, the headgear would lean forward, and the feet would want to kick out, but I doubt it would actually happen. So push it all the way down, or no?? Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2006, 05:42 PM

i saw

one the other day on my route off of the truck and it was not pushed all the way down. i had not seen an ultra mount up close before so i was looking at it for awhile so i know it was not all the way down... if that helps.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:14 PM

Hey Mike.. All you need to do is unplug the lights and power unit... pull back the stand lock pins and rotate the arms down... push down on the stands which will hold the plow in position and back away...
Just reverse this and your ready to plow again.
John...
SaltDogg & SnowEx Spreaders: FallLine Edges:
Sales & Service
plowtec@hotmail.com
847-998-9557
Old 01-06-2006, 06:31 PM

Mike, I think what your asking is - is it best to push the lift arm all the way down after disconnecting the plow to help protect the lift cylinder, correct? If so I can tell you that I always push mine down to protect the cylinder from scratches/rust etc. just out of habit. Part 2 of your question is also answered with a yes, it does kind of make the lift frame assembly lean forward towards the plow. It really doesn't "make" it lean forward, but it can pivot forward if it is leaning that way, if you know what I mean. But I can also tell you that it is no big deal at all to stand it back up just before you try to re-attach the plow to the truck. Not much effort involved at all- just a one handed pull back and it pivots right back into position.

My plow does not fit in my small garage so I keep it outside under a car cover so I would rather put up with the small hassle to stand her back up than deal with a damaged cylinder. Hope this helps!

2005 GMC 2500 HD 6L
Wait4me Performance tune
285 Cooper ATR's
7'6" Western Ultramount
Old 01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Banned

I don't usually push it down. However, the last 2 times I've taken it off the truck, I've left the controller in float, and pushed the lift cylinder down a little before unplugging the power and control wires. This does not make the light tower fall forward. Then, just back out of it. I've found that hooking and unhooking the plow is easier when there's a little slack in the chains because the pins and light tower can move a little easier to slide in and out of the truck receivers. I suppose I'd more more concerned about pushing it all the way down if my plow slept outside, but it's got a cozy little home at the front of the garage.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:12 PM

There was a reason we had to push the uni-mount lift arms down. If you didn't, the headgear was under load and you couldn't pop the link arms free. With the ultramount, you certainly don't gain much by pushing the lift arm down, and you have the added benefit of the light tower being stabilized (at least in one direction) by the chains. I have, with loosened chains, not hit the plow dead on when hooking up and had the tower fall back toward the truck- this would have been limited by the chains. IIRC, the lift arm on the ultramounts is so stout that if left in float long enough, it would come down a bit under its own weight.

"Protecting the lift cylinder" is hogwash. Whatcha gonna do about your angle cylinders?!?
2003 F350, 7.3, Erie Special #36
SnowEx Mini-Pro 575
1986 F150 302, 4spd, 35's
Old 01-07-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZSnow
There was a reason we had to push the uni-mount lift arms down. If you didn't, the headgear was under load and you couldn't pop the link arms free. With the ultramount, you certainly don't gain much by pushing the lift arm down, and you have the added benefit of the light tower being stabilized (at least in one direction) by the chains. I have, with loosened chains, not hit the plow dead on when hooking up and had the tower fall back toward the truck- this would have been limited by the chains. IIRC, the lift arm on the ultramounts is so stout that if left in float long enough, it would come down a bit under its own weight.

"Protecting the lift cylinder" is hogwash. Whatcha gonna do about your angle cylinders?!?
I do see your point as it does indeed affect the perfect angle to drive back onto the set-up sometimes, but I am not used to lining it up just yet, so I need to get out to check my line-up just as I get to the plow anyway so adjusting the pivot angle is not a problem for me.

But saying that protecting a lift cylinder is "hogwash" because the other cylinders are not protected makes no sense. That is like saying it is hogwash to wear a bullet-proof vest since your face is still vulnerable to the bullets! Try telling that to a Police officer or Mititary person! Just because I can't protect everything does not mean I shouldn't protect anything! There is some merrit to preventative medicine where it is possible. Like I said, my unit sits outside ALL the time. I know this is not the ideal conditions for my set-up, so I just try to do everything I can to make up for the fact that I am garage-challenged!

2005 GMC 2500 HD 6L
Wait4me Performance tune
285 Cooper ATR's
7'6" Western Ultramount
Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog55
But saying that protecting a lift cylinder is "hogwash" because the other cylinders are not protected makes no sense. That is like saying it is hogwash to wear a bullet-proof vest since your face is still vulnerable to the bullets!
Touche- A fair analogy, for sure.

A trick for lining up... There should be a small hole on the back of the crossbeam for the lights, right in the middle. If you have a line down the middle of the hood, just lean over, line it up and drive it in. Works like a champ!
2003 F350, 7.3, Erie Special #36
SnowEx Mini-Pro 575
1986 F150 302, 4spd, 35's
Old 01-07-2006, 01:24 PM

Question

Guys, I appreciate all the replies, but Im unsure I got my answer yet.. If you dont push the liftarm down when disconnecting, and back away, the plow and all stays still, correct? Now what Im saying is, if you do push it down all the way, then disconnect and back away, will it fall forward or backward, will the feet kick out? or will it just stay still anyway? I dont want it to fall backward into the hood of the truck or somethin. Mike
Old 01-07-2006, 05:58 PM

Sorry to veer off your path there Mike! I can say from a little experience that I have backed out of my plow BOTH ways and the plow stayed up straight. It definetely will not fall back towards the truck. It can only pivot front. That being said, I think mine stays upright when I do not push down the lift arm. When I did push it down then it has a tendency to pivot front and lean in towards the plow, but mine only leaned in sometime after I unhooked the plow. A few days later is when I noticed it leaned over about a foot or so. Not a major fall over- just a slight lean inward. And it does pivot back very easily when you need to hook it back up again. So I guess I would say it is no big deal no matter what route you take her. If you are keeping it indoors I would NOT push down the cylinder and then everything should stay all lined for you. I only pushed mine down to help protect it from the elements since mine is stored outside.

2005 GMC 2500 HD 6L
Wait4me Performance tune
285 Cooper ATR's
7'6" Western Ultramount
Old 01-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Mike it will stay where you left it, that's was why the jackstands where designed the way they were.
The chain acts as a safety to keep the tower from ever going back.
I will say that with a little slack in the chain it will allow you to move the tower back and forth bit to help you get the plow locked onto the truck should the height have changed from having a differant load in the truck..
John...
SaltDogg & SnowEx Spreaders: FallLine Edges:
Sales & Service
plowtec@hotmail.com
847-998-9557
Old 01-08-2006, 05:37 AM

i dont push mine down,, i just do like alot of the guys flip my release hooks, unhook my electrical,,put my kick stands down, and back away,, works just fine,, so simple, " keep it simple" stillworks for this guy, those cylinders are such hard steel you dont have to worry about protecting them, there is alot of wheel loaders, dozers, graders, ect, sitting around all winter with exposed cylinders, with no problems,,
Old 01-08-2006, 11:01 AM

Mike I just tried it for s.....& gigles I tried it. Pushed the lift arm down and backed away. The light rack tipped slightly back to the truck. Didn't look like a big problem but if it tipped back more the pins would not line up. Had it on the truck to get my new edge and western wings put on. 9'8" width measured now. Looking out the window waiting for it to snow now!
'03 YAMAHA KODIAK 450, 60" MOOSE PLOW
Old 01-09-2006, 03:05 PM

Thumbs up

Ok , just took the plow off for the first time, so simple! I pushed the liftarm all the way down even though I keep the plow inside my garage. Backed away and it stayed perfectly still in place. Just for the heck of it, I pushed the headgear forward, and it went as far as it could go and stopped. I guess thats why the feet are made the way they are, so with the headgear all the way forward or back, it still stands fine. I tried pushing it both ways as far as it would go, just to see what would happen. Then I put it back where it was, which is with the feet straight up and down, not angled forward or backward at all. Im sure when I go to hook it up, Ill have to push the headgear either forward or backward a little, but shouldnt be a problem at all, it has alot of play. Electrical - 3 plugs in the truck side and 3 plugs on the plow side. 1 of the 3 on the truck side gets a cap, the other two on the truck side push into each other. I tucked them behind the chrome grill and fog lights, cant even see them. On the plow side, the 1 by itself gets pushed into a rubber holder mounted on the headgear, just like my old plow, and the leftover 2 on the plow side get pushed together, just like how it was on the truck side. Very nice setup, I like it alot. I swear I had it off in seconds! Mike
Old 01-09-2006, 03:17 PM

Nice isn't it!
Nothing like the old pros or unimount.

Don't forget to take off the truck side pockets.
To easy to get taken off (stolen) . they are about $80.00 Ea.

I leave mine outside, I just push the ram down a little then unhook.

When you go to hookup, just look down the bodyline of the center of the hood and line it up with the center top of the motor on the Hyd pump.

You'll never miss, and you'll be hooked up and gone in less than a min.

Nice having a new truck and plow, now if it would only SNOW.
04 Ford F-350 SC SB 5.4 Auto 8.5 Western ProPlow PLUS
Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 AM

Cool

Hey there guys, I think I understand what you are saying Mike. I keep mine outside, but what I do is put it up on a pallet so It is off the ground. Then I just drop the two swing down arms, disconnect the wiring and back up. Then Just put a tarp around it and bungee it up. I do this every time that it's not going to snow for a few days, and I haven't had a problem with it moving at all. Hope this helps. Not sure what else I can tell you.

Josh
Owner
Essential Lawn Care & Snowplowing

98 Dodge Ram 2500HD, 7.6 Western Ultramount w/backdrag, Saltdog Spreader
Old 02-11-2006, 07:41 AM

Thumbs up

Just wanted to comment again on this thread. I hooked it up last night for the first time, and it went very smoothly, I really like it! I had to get out a few times to see if I was driving into it good or not, but once I got lined up, I drove right into it, and you could hear it going in, and then stop. I went a little bit further so I could hear it start to push the plow on the ground and stopped. Got out and linked the 2 sides, and did the 3 plugs. Mike
Old 02-15-2006, 09:02 AM

Cool

Good for you Mike.....lol. It's usually helpful to have some one direct you in to the plow. Even with a guide line or practice you can still miss by a hair and think you are in. Happens to all of us. Best of luck with the rest of the season.

Josh
Owner
Essential Lawn Care & Snowplowing

98 Dodge Ram 2500HD, 7.6 Western Ultramount w/backdrag, Saltdog Spreader