How do you test/ adjust plow pressure? - Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 12-14-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

How do you test/ adjust plow pressure?

I have a Meyer E-60 on my 99 Dodge Ram V10, it was on the truck when I bought it. The truck and plow sat unused for a few years before I purchased them, so I've been spending a lot of time working the bugs out. My most recent problem is poor turning performance. The pump didn't have enough power to move the blade back when it was all the way extended in either direction. It went left and right OK unless I went to full lock, but didn't have enough power to turn when the plow blade was resting on the ground. It went up and down fine. I took the cap off of the reservoir and dumped out the old fluid and got out as much sludge as I could without major disassembly, and replaced a few o-rings/nylon seals. I made a pressure gauge and coupler setup to go in between the pump and the hoses that go down to the rams, and I was barely getting 200 PSI turning the blade against a tree! I removed the acorn nut and turned that adjustment bolt in half a turn, and that improved the performance. I kept adjusting it, half a turn at a time, until it was turned in almost all of the way, and I'm still only getting about 1,000 PSI. The plow performance seems acceptable to me, but I know something is wrong. So my questions are: Did I do the pressure test correctly? Is there another test or adjustment that I should be doing? My gauge goes up to 5,000 PSI. I want to check the "crossover pressure" that I keep reading about, but I don't know how. Any help would be great, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-16-2016, 02:31 AM

the E-60 should be up around 2500 psi the (E-60H should be around 2000) over 3000 things start to break from my understanding. Checking pressure with the angle lines is probably the easiest, but you can also test pressure from the pump outlet port (I think you need some kind of adapter to do that though).

you can also use the same setup to adjust the cross over relief valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snow Plow Forum - Let's Talk Snow Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode